UKBouldering.com

Why does my arm hurt? (Read 4090 times)

underground

• forum hero
Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 12:38:52 pm
This is not strictly climbing related pain but with all the knowledge amongst you, something might crop up.

So, I thought this was tendonitis of the elbow at first- mega elbow pain caused by overgripping and pulling too hard on an ascender during SRT techniques. It went away once I wasn't doing SRT so much...

Now however, I've got a contiuous dull ache in my elbow, in the area of muscle which pokes out like an egg when locking off. I feel it further down too in me wrist sometimes, and other times the whole forearm aches (it can wake me up sometimes). Or the pain can 'shoot' from the elbow into the lower arm.

For the last few weeks though i haven't climbed or pulled on a ropes or anything, so I can't think what's causing it.

Combined with this I've had lower back pain for ages, but I don't think it's related.

So, any ideas of what it may be or how to fix it? I'm off to the doc's later but some prior knowledge would be useful....

Thanks y'all  :wink:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#1 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 01:01:03 pm
in the area of muscle which pokes out like an egg when locking off.

i thought that was called the 'wanking muscle' :?:  :?  :wink:

anyhoo i occasionally get aches and pains in my forearms and wrists but they usually just go away after a minute or so. i thought it was tendonitis for a while but i dismissed it as they come and go very inconsistently and aren't really painful, painful. just sort of irrating. have u tried icing etc? however i have noticed a significant drop in these random aches ever since i got a metolious gripmaster and i use 2-3 times day along with1-2 proper fore arm stretching excercises. mebbe u shud try one of them?

Tim Heaton

• addict
#2 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 01:21:10 pm
Don't know anything about the forearm but for the lower back have you tried stretching your legs?  Perhaps also some strengthening exercises down the gym too - Good Morning's, Deadlifts, Straight Leg Deadlifts e.t.c. done with proper form and not too heavy weights? I find my lower back takes a long time to get better if you injure it - maybe a month or so - so just lay off doing stuff until then and make sure that when you lift things you do so with a natural arch in your back rather than rounded.

I am only going on my own experience though, I am sure a doctor/physio would be able to give you some proper advice.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 01:34:30 pm
Quote from: "Tim Heaton"
Perhaps also some strengthening exercises down the gym too

I'm not sure underground knows what a gym is. If he ever set foot in one he'd probably keel over.

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#4 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 02:24:18 pm
Jim,

Probably holding your baby causing this?? ;)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 04:34:49 pm
It would be strange if it was tendonitis, just because that's and overuse injury :wink:

It could be related to your upper back.  The ulna nerve runs from the spot between your spine and your shoulder blade, through the shoulder, through the inside of the elbow and out of your ring finger.  If this nerve is shortened e.g scar tissue it will refer pain over the obvious joints that it passes.

Its worth going to a Physio or in this case an Osteo who will give you a more proffesional opinion :)

underground

• forum hero
#6 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 10:22:50 pm
Quote from: "Dylan"
It would be strange if it was tendonitis, just because that's and overuse injury :wink:

It could be related to your upper back.  The ulna nerve runs from the spot between your spine and your shoulder blade, through the shoulder, through the inside of the elbow and out of your ring finger.  If this nerve is shortened e.g scar tissue it will refer pain over the obvious joints that it passes.

Its worth going to a Physio or in this case an Osteo who will give you a more proffesional opinion :)

Nice one fella.. I think I'll see a private osteo... mind you, it could be due to overuse, it's the right arm... :alco:

I went to the quack GP, but before I was seen I did a bit of a Q+A sesh with a 3rd year med student. He knew his shizzle, specially about the possible spinabifida occulta, (which I omitted to mention in my original post) but diagnosed 'tennis elbow' as the arm prob. I was still far more impressed with him than the subsequent dealings with the barber surgeon excuse for a fuckin' doctor who saw me next.
Med student explains the chat we'd had- she then asks him to explain to me 'as if he were talking to a patient'- poor fucker kept stuttering and was obviously nervous, and at the end of it all she says

'No problem, just a bit of muscle trauma- take 600mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day, and give us a piss sample for the sake of it' (to paraphrase rather harshly).

I asked 'should I see a physio/osteo/chiro?'

'Well, if you like- probably best to see a physio, just get one out the yellow pages'..

TBH I felt like a sheep going through the dipping pool, and this doc sees my daughter... Credit to the student though, he knew his stuff better than she did.

Pass me the Reader's Digest home medical encyclopeadia...  :evil:

dave

#7 Why does my arm hurt?
September 06, 2004, 10:34:40 pm
Quote from: "underground"
mind you, it could be due to overuse, it's the right arm... :alco:

theres not a smiley for what i was assuming you meant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal