UKBouldering.com

Any drummers on here? (Read 4876 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Any drummers on here?
December 19, 2016, 07:53:36 pm
Nipper is learning she's had a junior kit for almost 2 years and has reached the stage where she could do with a ride cymbal.

I know nothing about any if this and was about to shell out for a second hand Sabian B8 thinking that a cheaper model by a brand would have more resale value but searching for reviews I see it's pretty widely slated, then I found this and can see why, it sounds absolutely awful:

(from 1:58)

I'd rejected one of these Gear4music ones initially thinking it'd be tat being an own-brand but it sounds ok in comparison.

With the clock ticking I'm getting fairly desperate and about to go for the Gear4 one against my better judgement.

Anyone know anything about such things and have any advice or recommendations?

Cheers

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Any drummers on here?
December 19, 2016, 08:17:50 pm
Man, that B8 brings back some bad memories. Don't get one of those. I'd love to help more but I've successfully blocked out most details of dealing with drummers and drum kits.

Bear in mind that how you mic these things makes a huge difference- unless there's a comparison video where they switch between the cymbals without changing anything else I'd recommend going to a drum shop to hear the similarly-priced options yourself.

Durbs

• forum hero
#2 Re: Any drummers on here?
December 20, 2016, 09:03:33 am
Heya - my only half-decent qualification is in drumming, so may be able to help.

As Cheque mentioned, videos aren't of massive use unless like-for-like in terms of recording...

How old is you nipper out of interest? I only ask as if in the mid-teens, and she's a keen bean, there's some merit in spending a bit more as cymbals do hold their value to some extent.

Budget is quite a big factor, though personally I would go with a second-hand option from the big names (Sabian or Zildjian mostly) rather than get a budget shiny new one. Rides don't really lost sound quality over the years, nothing a quick polish won't brighten up anyway...

The only other real factor to consider, without getting all "drummer-y" about it, is what she's playing... Partly in terms of cymbal sound (dry vs washy), but also in terms of genre of music and also if she ever plays live (dry rides cut through other band noise fantastically well).

If she's a bit of a rocker  :punk: you could also look at crash-rides (18") - as the name suggests, you can use the tip of the stick and use the bell for normal "ride" stuff, but it will also double-up as a large crash cymbal for rocking out on.

This may have given you more options than actually helped...

What's your budget?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3 Re: Any drummers on here?
December 20, 2016, 10:14:37 am
Cheers guys

She's only 7, won't be playing live for some time yet I'd imagine.  As yet she's just learning rhythms and fills so no one style yet. She prefers to hit hard and fast though...

Budget was around £50 for the cymbal (and another ~£30 for a stand?) but isn't really fixed, if I could buy something I can resell without losing much on it then I'm prepared to spend a bit more on it.  I expect/hope she'll have it for 3 years at least though until she's outgrown this kit.

A second hand option is preferable and I've been checking ebay but can't bring myself to bid on anything as I don't know the junk from the decent stuff and what represents value.

Think what I'll do is give her a cymbal voucher (i.e. a laminated piece of paper) to buy some time and hope other drummers are selling old kit replaced by santa with shiny new stuff, eldest is getting a phone voucher for the same reason so should work ok.

I'll look into a crash-ride, sounds like a good option, she does like to hit her cymbals hard.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Any drummers on here?
December 20, 2016, 10:44:57 am
Applies to musical instruments in general - so probably drums too - but always go with quality. Extra cost can often be recouped in resale values if they lose interest.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#5 Re: Any drummers on here?
December 20, 2016, 10:50:23 am
Durbs

How about this, I know it's double budget but the cymbals alone would be £200+ new and the stands probably similar, could also pick it up to save postage. Obviously be looking to sell some of it on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paiste-PST3-Cymbal-Set-With-Premier-Hardware-/192056205305?hash=item2cb7711ff9:g:PC0AAOSw0w9YVZKF

Durbs

• forum hero
#6 Re: Any drummers on here?
December 20, 2016, 11:34:34 am
Yeah - pretty good priced set that. The stands are of good quality, all double-braced so nice and sturdy, and 2 crashes is fun (a cheap crash will usually be use-able than a cheap splash too)
I imagine she already has a hi-hat pedal, but this might be of a better quality.

Paiste are a solid make - and they look in very good nick too.

Budgets eh? ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7 Re: Any drummers on here?
December 30, 2016, 07:43:11 pm
Cheers Durbs. Won those cymbals and just picked them up. See I if you can spot the old one...

Durbs

• forum hero
#8 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 09, 2017, 04:59:34 pm
Sounds pretty decent as far as a phone video can show (Old one is the last one that's not the hi-hat I'm assuming?)

I'd (personally) flatten them out a bit, generally you should be hitting cymbals with the shoulder of the stick, not the tip (except the ride) to get more wash out the cymbals (and more attack and volume).

Oh - sad question; does she wear ear-plugs?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#9 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 09, 2017, 05:27:56 pm
Good knowledge, so even hit the hi-hat with the shoulder?

No she doesn't wear earplugs, guess that wouldn't be a bad idea. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 09, 2017, 05:32:34 pm

yes - couple of drummers I know have had ear problems...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#11 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 09, 2017, 05:37:37 pm
Hear hear.

Sorry.

Had thought about dampers, for the neighbours as much as her hearing. Guess earplugs is a cheaper solution though.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 09, 2017, 06:05:45 pm
Hear hear.

Sorry.

Had thought about dampers, for the neighbours as much as her hearing. Guess earplugs is a cheaper solution though.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Or muffs.. (never think sticking things in ears is a good thing..)

Durbs

• forum hero
#13 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 10, 2017, 09:13:02 am
Good knowledge, so even hit the hi-hat with the shoulder?

Hi-hat - both techniques, as you get different sounds and rebound from the different bits of stick, but generally yeah, shoulder on the hi-hats too. Jazz or funky disco probably tip.

I'm personally a big advocate of ear-plugs or over-ear headphones. Cymbals and snare in particular push out a lot of loud high-frequency noise.
Decent-ish plugs won't affect the sound either.
Practice pads are also good (particularly for others), but I never really used them as er... it's not the same ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#14 Re: Any drummers on here?
January 10, 2017, 09:40:40 am
Hi-hat - both techniques, as you get different sounds and rebound from the different bits of stick, but generally yeah, shoulder on the hi-hats too. Jazz or funky disco probably tip.

I flattened the cymbals out and was experimenting last night, really surprised at the difference.  I'll get her doing both, should make the practice sessions a bit more interesting at least, might be able to prolong them a bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal