UKBouldering.com

Isla de Encanta repeated (Read 27560 times)

AndyR

• forum hero
#50 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 07, 2004, 12:56:30 pm
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
that's right dave instead of discussing the matter, just be clever and sarcy. nice one dave :worthy: , nice one.

Thing is FOAM, this thing has been discussed a bazillion times both here and on scottishclimbs.

Some people are prepared to believe SO'C and others aren't.  Unless convincing evidence one way or the other comes to light, no amount of arguing the toss is going to solve anything.

Maybe your extreme dieting is making you feisty?  :wink:

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#51 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 07, 2004, 01:00:10 pm
Sorry Fingers you are right I must have missed that bit on the thread. :oops:

But I stand by my other reasons.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#52 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 07, 2004, 01:00:55 pm
andy i'm not asking for evidence. i am asking dave why he thinks o'connor is lyin. perhaps there's sum big reason he'd do it that i can't see. does claiming 8c gaurantee u a place in heaven? if so si's gonna be a fuckin seraphim  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

sweet as tom. i assumed u must have missed it. sorry for the over reaction on my part.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#53 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 07, 2004, 01:07:37 pm
I think Dave's said he's not sure of Si's motivations to lie, if indeed he is lying, but that people have many reasons to want to lie.

Anyway, as Andy has just said, this has been done to death and I'm really fucking sick of it and it's clouding the main issue of this topic - whether or not it's the 2nd or 3rd ascent, it's a damn fine effort by Mark Katz.

End of story. If anyone wants to continue the argument, please do it via PM.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#54 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 07, 2004, 10:12:26 pm
Unlocked again - please keep this vaguely on topic please.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#55 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 08:46:37 am
anyway i'm not writing another line about this subject.

If only this were true :?

Anyway, back on subject
Quote from: "Dave"
nelson mandella didn't bring down apartied for money

Actually Nelson Mandela didn't bring down apartheid (sp) at all. Do you think it's just coincidence that the collapse of Aparheid happened shortly after the collapse of Communism?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#56 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 08:58:40 am
Isn't that one for the conspiracy theories thread?

Greg C

• forum hero
#57 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 04:53:03 pm
Hey Fingers read this its one of my peronal faves!  :lol:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2076&highlight=si+oconor

BoulderHog

• addict
#58 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 06:30:02 pm
:D  That thread's pretty funny, Si should be a politician - Yes or no? It's a simple question Mr O'Conner, yes or no?

Still the guy must be the most infamous climber of all time. Could fame be a motivation to lie perhaps (Finger's head explodes with new ideas)? Frankly, if you put your scorecard on 8a.nu and list it for ranking, then expect people to question any world class grades you put on without any evidence to back them up. You don't like it? Then don't rank your scorecard, is this not obvious? So nobody feel sorry for anything that is said about Si, he clearly thrives off it.

Anyway, big congrats to Mark, great effort.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#59 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 06:37:38 pm
i'm away for a few days n all this happens. nice one bob dylan with a shrunken body, again not my description but good nontheless :lol:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#60 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 06:57:45 pm
Finger's head explodes with new ideas

ha ha, so funny... not!

i actually said that maybe he's gettin off on all this attention, so if u think thats true then thats your opinion but sayin he's famous is just a bit of a teensie-weensie overstatement.

i would say hated is a more accurate description of his position within the climin community.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#61 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 07:29:15 pm
I haven't met anyone who hates Si. Most people seem to find the whole thing an entertaining diversion from everyday life in the real world.

MrBlue

• regular
#62 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 07:36:57 pm
don't suppose anyone could just pop a few chill pills could they? i forsee deja vu fairly shortly...

:twak:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#63 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 07:39:36 pm
i don't know anyone who hates si either. in fact i could do with your descriptive talents si :D

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#64 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 08:47:29 pm
okay hated is perhaps a bit strong but famous does seem to carry positive connatations with it. :roll: why would anyone want to be famous for lying about shit?

BoulderHog

• addict
#65 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:13:17 pm
Try looking infamous up in the dictionary, and then re-read my post.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#66 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:17:30 pm
oops sorry didn't read it right :oops:

but anyway i ain't havin this arguement again cos its just gonna get the thread locked.

but if your gonna use infamous at least use infamy in the next sentence instead of fame (just for consistency when you're tryin to make ya point) :wink:

BoulderHog

• addict
#67 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:25:10 pm
Ok, fair enough, but fame is a state of reputation, and being infamous is also, some people get off on that - the notorious BIG for example. The thing with it is, that he has supporters in both camps, the believers probably balance the non-believers, but he still ends up well known, provided the truth never comes out (not answering simple questions with a yes or no for example). I imagine the truth lies somewhere between, most likely that his problems are hard but not nearly as hard as he claims, and he's either getting off on being well known, or having a damn good laugh at everyones expense. You believe him don't you fingers?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#68 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:29:22 pm
Yes. i believe he has climbed the lines he says he has and has given them the grades that he feels r appropriate for him. anyway dave macleod is gan to skye to meet up an climb wit si so maybe something positive will come out of that.

BoulderHog

• addict
#69 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:38:07 pm
Yes, you're probably spot on there, they feel that hard to him, he's progressed through the grades in near isolation and that is his grading scale. The question is - does this scale match the rest of the world or does it differ.

It took a few trips to font for me to properly grade stuff, to say this is a certain grade with confidence, any problem I do I can compare it to genuine font benchmarks.

Anyway, this thread should be locked now, not because it's turned to Si again, but because I want to do some training but can't get my fat arse lifted off this chair.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#70 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:42:00 pm
well his problems in the lakes were confirmed by gaskins. little women lh v11, rh was downgraded by one grade but still 8b, k.o.t v11 also confirmed.
there's an 8b traverse in lancahsire as well thats been confirmed i think.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#71 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 09:54:59 pm
Try this  

I would love to say that I have climbed 8b..........but I aint :?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#72 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 10:06:29 pm
yeah as in font 8b not traverse 8b

Nigel

• forum hero
#73 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 10:08:31 pm

there's an 8b traverse in lancahsire (sic) as well thats been confirmed i think.

Nope.

Si did do an eliminate at Woodwell called The Art Of War which I believe he gave V11 (am I right here, Si?), although it has been expunged from existence as the holds were denoted by large blobs of orange paint (the rock is pristine!). Pretty sure Gaskins did it but I don't know his grade opinion. This however is the utmost in esoteric Lancashire knowledge and couldn't possibly be what you're thinking of!

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#74 Isla de Encanta repeated
September 08, 2004, 10:11:02 pm
not sure really but there was a similar thread about mr connors achievements a while ago can't remember where it was. anyway sum one said something along the lines of 'how can u grade something 8c when the only confirmed problem u've done is a piss poor f8b traverse in lancashire'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal