UKBouldering.com

Liquid fueld stoves on flights (Read 4784 times)

Wood FT

• forum hero
Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 11:57:07 am
So we've bought an MSR whisperlite stove for a trip and now I've read that airlines are really tetchy about letting them on. Has anyone had experience or tips for getting them on flights? (I've read of people putting stickers over the 'fuel' bottle and using it as water bottle for the flight itself, then stuffing the stove in with climbing gear so it's in among loads of other metal stuff)

I've chucked the packaging but it's not been used and doesn't smell of fuel. I just want to know if it's worth just keeping it at home rather than risking it being confiscated at an airport, little chance of sending it back given the time constraints.

Cheers

Duncan campbell

• junky
#1 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 12:01:43 pm
Message Bubbles - he'll have the beta

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 12:18:42 pm
Separate the bits and rinse the bottles. Never had a problem apart from once in SF with a brand new stove. Bossman made me wash it out with coke(!). Only in America...

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 12:22:17 pm
Ok will do

JB - yep will separate it all to make it look less bomb like

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 12:38:40 pm
We took two MSRs (one Whipserlite, one XGK) to Peru in 2012, both had been used.  Taken the Whipserlite by air to the Dolomites a couple of times once eariler this year flying with Jet2.

Same experience as JB, no problems.  Ensured on the way out that the bottle and pump were empty and ventilated for several days before hand and tried to air for as long as possible before return journey too.  Packed them in the hold baggage and had no problems.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 01:03:45 pm
We took two MSRs (one Whipserlite, one XGK) to Peru in 2012, both had been used.  Taken the Whipserlite by air to the Dolomites a couple of times once eariler this year flying with Jet2.

Same experience as JB, no problems.  Ensured on the way out that the bottle and pump were empty and ventilated for several days before hand and tried to air for as long as possible before return journey too.  Packed them in the hold baggage and had no problems.

Great, thanks.

danm

• junky
#6 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 01:21:11 pm
As said above, you should be fine as long as it's clean, and there's no fuel in either the bottle or fuel line.

Make sure you take a maintenance kit - I once had to help a customer fix theirs remotely down a sat phone line, when they were in the middle of the atlantic doing some solo rowing challenge. They didn't have a kit and the stove was their only way of rehydrating their food!

If you run it mostly on unleaded petrol, it helps to buy some Coleman fuel or white gas every now and then, this helps clean out the fuel line a little which will clog up over time.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#7 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 01:46:38 pm
As said above, you should be fine as long as it's clean, and there's no fuel in either the bottle or fuel line.

Make sure you take a maintenance kit - I once had to help a customer fix theirs remotely down a sat phone line, when they were in the middle of the atlantic doing some solo rowing challenge. They didn't have a kit and the stove was their only way of rehydrating their food!

If you run it mostly on unleaded petrol, it helps to buy some Coleman fuel or white gas every now and then, this helps clean out the fuel line a little which will clog up over time.

Cheers Dan, yep looking to getting some white gas.

While I've got you - is there a cheap alternative to the coleman type white gas they sell in camping shops? I can't remember what it is, lawn mower fuel or something?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 02:04:50 pm
Where are you going? Coleman fuel costs fuck all across the pond.

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 02:57:33 pm
Are you trying to artificially alter the value of the FA there JB?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 03:19:55 pm
Where are you going? Coleman fuel costs fuck all across the pond.

New Zealand, there's a bit of a jump on the kiwi fuck all for everything else so I'm going to assume this covers camping specific white gas too.

Potash

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 14, 2016, 07:50:37 pm
Just to reiterate previous posters.

I've flown mine around the world a few times. I have always taken the time to empty the fuel bottle, wash it and air it well prior to flying. I've always left the lid off the bottle but I don't know why I think that would help.

I hear you need to dispose of any surplus fuel responsibly before flying home

Duma

• forum hero
#12 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 17, 2016, 10:32:44 am
Related, but what's the deal with sharp objects(knives) in hold baggage? It's obvs packed safely

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 17, 2016, 12:20:46 pm
I have never had any problems taking my opinel/similar knife in hold baggage.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#14 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
December 17, 2016, 02:16:01 pm
Related, but what's the deal with sharp objects(knives) in hold baggage? It's obvs packed safely

I've taken a Petzl spatha as hand luggage, so I'm pretty sure it'll be ok in the hold...  (At GVA they measured the knife and because it was less than 6cm they said it was fine!  But ropes...deadly!  Quickdraws...Deadly...small knife...ok!!

honroid

• addict
#15 Re: Liquid fueld stoves on flights
January 17, 2017, 07:56:33 pm
I had a pretty full bottle in my hand luggage getting on a flight in Canada two years ago.... The security were well miffed but I poured it away (down a bathroom sink......still feel bad about that.....) washed it out with soap(!), tried to board the flight again, security sniffed it, told me 'no'. So I gave it a really good rinse and they then let me on. Couldn't believe it. I really am an idiot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal