UKBouldering.com

"Toys To Life" Games (Read 3938 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
"Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:16:07 pm
Any thought on these; Skylanders / Lego Dimensions / Disney Infinity?

Heard mixed reports from "great" to "money pit - avoid".

Son (7 on Xmas Day) has never really played much TV games, but likes iPad games (mostly involving Transformers, or Lego), so might be time to introduce something that's not touchpad based, and we have an XBOX 360 given to me by brother in law which has been unused for a couple of years now.

So, thoughts good and bad please?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#1 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:21:54 pm
Hi Chris. I haven't much experience with any of these but I do know that Disney is ending the Infinity line of toys.

Don't know what support it will get as there will be a lot of people with the toys but they aren't making anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/10/disney-infinity-video-games-canceled

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:25:06 pm
A Friend's young nephews got into Skylanders a couple of years ago, they started playing, the next day uncle was emotionally blackmailed into going back down to the supermarket to buy another character so they could continue playing. 2 days later, they tried again with little success. I'm sure it works out really expensive, you should probably only buy it for kids whose parents you hate. They certainly won't be thanking you. Grim.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:31:59 pm
Hi Chris. I haven't much experience with any of these but I do know that Disney is ending the Infinity line of toys.

Don't know what support it will get as there will be a lot of people with the toys but they aren't making anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/10/disney-infinity-video-games-canceled

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Might make decision easier, especially if Disney will allow a license for Lego Star Wars characters in Dimensions.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:33:48 pm
A Friend's young nephews got into Skylanders a couple of years ago, they started playing, the next day uncle was emotionally blackmailed into going back down to the supermarket to buy another character so they could continue playing. 2 days later, they tried again with little success. I'm sure it works out really expensive, you should probably only buy it for kids whose parents you hate. They certainly won't be thanking you. Grim.

We're thinking of getting it for our own son! But yes, these are the concerns. Although he's probably not that tech savvy to be aware there other bits to buy immediately. Plus I'm immune to emotional blackmail.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#5 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:50:32 pm

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Might make decision easier, especially if Disney will allow a license for Lego Star Wars characters in Dimensions.

I think there on Infinity 3.0 so I bet there are loads of cheap deals around for the previous sets too. Not sure how it all works though, for instance if it is server based which would be bad times if they turned it all off.

TBH Chris there should be plenty of games suitable for him, especially on the 360 games are nice and cheap. Loads of games based on his favourite cartoon heroes etc. The Lego games would be good place to start I think. Local co-op too so you can both play if you have a 2nd controller.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 03:52:29 pm
Probably a good call, and avoid all this crap. Lego Star Wars or something from Game for a couple of quid.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#7 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 04:11:03 pm
Ludo got Skylanders last year, standard pack comes with game/portal/figure. You only need 3 figures  to play the full game land/air/underwater all the others are just slightly different abilities. Amazon do a load of 2nd hand ones now through game sellers. I got 2 off ebay.
Its a good game, no death gore or other grim stuff but I would say Ludos played beyond it now so maybe to easy at 7.
Star wars complete saga is what you want, keep em busy for a while

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 06:55:22 pm
Oohhh yeah.

Then they finish the entire thing in two weeks and "need" the next set...
However, after more than a year.

No.1 son (9) has just pulled out all his Skylanders and bases, in the pre-xmas clear out/charity shop/tidy your f'ing rooms or Santa gets locked out you little bar-stewards, annual ritual.
He decided to test that all was working.
Suddenly they are a "thing" again and no longer for "little kids".

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#9 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 07:00:16 pm
Ludo got Skylanders last year, standard pack comes with game/portal/figure. You only need 3 figures  to play the full game land/air/underwater all the others are just slightly different abilities. Amazon do a load of 2nd hand ones now through game sellers. I got 2 off ebay.
Its a good game, no death gore or other grim stuff but I would say Ludos played beyond it now so maybe to easy at 7.
Star wars complete saga is what you want, keep em busy for a while

This is very true.

Also,

How cool is the name Ludo? Love it!

Possibly a slight tendency to Bond villain-esque (which is still cool).

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

fried

• forum hero
#10 Re: "Toys To Life" Games
December 12, 2016, 07:03:34 pm
One of the nephews is a little business genius, every year he manages to sell back on Ebay the craze from 2 years previously recuperating all his losses. Don't know if the uncle gets a hand out though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal