UKBouldering.com

Verbal abuse (Read 17117 times)

haydn jones

• forum hero
Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 06:16:09 pm
Speaking to jerry at the crag today he was disappointed that no one does verbal abuse anymore. He was also shocked no one had replaced the pegs with new shiny bolts. He was all for replacing the 3 pegs with bolts but leaving it run out as it is. The way he put it was that when he did it all the pegs were as bomber as bolts anyway as they were all good placments and also cemented in. If nobody else minds I'll  be replacing the now old pegs with bolts and doing this route as its not even that run out. (Probably next year now though)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 07:28:46 pm
Wow!

This post has been up for a whole hour and no one has threatened your life to the next six generations!

I have no opinion or knowledge of the route, just not used to seeing anything like this mentioned without serious knicker twisting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haydn jones

• forum hero
#2 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 07:36:08 pm
Well its probably because i didn't suggest bolting it jerry did. Also not saying to change the route, just replacing the pegs (with a more friendly long lasting solution than repegging)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 07:36:19 pm
What would Jerry do?

haydn jones

• forum hero
#4 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 07:39:38 pm
Claim that the route is "so hard only 3 people in the world could hold them holds! Me, myself and I"

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#5 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 07:58:43 pm
Oops. I started writing a reply about people dishing out abuse at the crag and wondered why Jerry was so annoyed that people were being ever so polite these days.

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 08:24:45 pm
Yeah, I don't care about bolts or pegs but I do think more people need to call Stu fat mid-redpoint

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 08:33:21 pm
Oops. I started writing a reply about people dishing out abuse at the crag and wondered why Jerry was so annoyed that people were being ever so polite these days.

Me too. I thought Jerry was sad about the declining standard of crag banter generally, and then HJ was wittering on about pegs vs bolts on some random unspecified route. Capital letters HJ, capital letters.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#8 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 08:58:40 pm
Isn't the whole essence of Peak limestone climbing that the trad is full of shitty old fixed gear and runouts.....and the sport is full of shitty old gear and runouts??

Good that you're going for a public consultation even in a case where there's unlikely to be a problem. If only more people did that....

Nigel

• forum hero
#9 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 09:30:48 pm
What would Jerry do?

Well quite Shark. I rather think most of the fun of this game is removed by er....just asking him. But well done Haydn.

dave

#10 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 10:17:01 pm
Surely the danger with bolting it it then becomes "a bolt route", and hence over time someone is likely to look at it ignorant to the historical perspective and think to themselves "this is a bolt route, it's badly bolted, so I'll just add another bolt or two to that runout". Or a future Gresham does a harder variant line and bolts it fully.

Would it be possible to remove the existing pegs and re-cement some new ones in the same placements? If you're gonna get 30 years out of them doesn't seem that bad, and would preserve the historical character.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#11 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 10:52:46 pm
Hayden - why don't you put a rope down it and see what it feels like. You might decide it's worth preserving as trad, you might not - at least then you'd be making an informed decision. Seems fair.

You better not be using peak bolt fund bolts by the way.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#12 Re: Verbal abuse
November 30, 2016, 11:31:08 pm
Hmm not sure it would be repegable dave. I understand the fear that someone ignorant to the history would then bolt the rest of it. I guess if some prat did put more bolts in they could be removed. The bolt trad routes on the slate seem to stay nicley as they are.

Keeping it as trad is an interesting comment. I'd  personally say having the bolts in verses cemented in pegs makes very little difference to the catagory of route that it should go in. People like to define things into catagories aka trad or sport.  Stuff on the slate has bolts yet still get trad grades.

From an informed point of view I've  spoken with jerry about the types of pegs and cement he used and he said atleast one of them he wouldn't trust anymore after all this time left there. That already to me tells me I'm  playing a game of russian roulette if i were to fall on it. A different proposition to the first ascenct all together.

dave

#13 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 08:07:55 am
I guess if some prat did put more bolts in they could be removed.

That is true, but the precedent set by countless other examples is once the bolts are in, statistically speaking, they will stay in.

mark20

• junky
#14 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 08:29:58 am
Eh why not?
Do a proper job with the bolt fund glue ins  :thumbsup:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#15 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 08:57:00 am
Wonder how many people have stood on that peg trying call of nature?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#16 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 09:05:29 am
It might as well be bolted rather than completely ignored and some routes that keep a trad grade manage to resist full retro bolting but we all know how it'll likely pan out.

New bolts > flurry of repeats > falls back into neglect > full retro
or
New bolts > flurry of repeats >holds break off > no longer the same route > full retro.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#17 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 09:30:36 am
Eh why not?
Do a proper job with the bolt fund glue ins  [emoji106]
Yeah, changed mind on that prob ok, just not sure about using PBF for retro bolting trad routes.

If you do it Hayden, take a look at the job KC did on rooster booster. 6mm glue ins in the same holes that the pegs were in. Can barely tell they're not pegs from the ground. Will really help keep the character of the route. It'll be hard getting the pegs out tho, this should be a labour of love not some botch job.

SamT

• forum hero
#18 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 11:13:13 am
If you do it Hayden, take a look at the job KC did on rooster booster. 6mm glue ins in the same holes that the pegs were in. Can barely tell they're not pegs from the ground. Will really help keep the character of the route. It'll be hard getting the pegs out tho, this should be a labour of love not some botch job.

THIS ^^^^^^  :thumbsup:

petejh

• forum hero
#19 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 11:21:38 am
We've got some stainless 'pegs'* (they're peg-shaped bolts really) here if you want three Haydn. We use them for just this sort of non-trad route - i.e.replace formerly bomber pegs with new stainless glue-in bolts that look like pegs and are placed using a hand-held peg placing hammer-action device. It keeps people happy/oblivious.

(* square section stainless with a traditional peg-looking small eye, painted black hammerite)

kc

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 11:29:00 am
Yes it really was a labour of love but it was also an experiment. The conclusion was quite complicated and if I had any writing skills a detailed document or article would be produced.

It is a task that should only be carried out by a skilled craftsman. When and if it will work you have a good fixing that is positioned in the same place, so that is dictated by tradition and the rock. That may remove the temptation for future retro bolts and no extra holds are created from vacant peg slots.

Now I struggle to picture Verbal abuse but I thought it was a two roper outing as the pegs are at 180°. Maybe one has to clip a high peg and down climb or something. But now the side runners are provided by Hot flushing and The Call. There's a pic of Dougie in the First Rockfax on it.

I think the use of bolt fund gear is for debate but Mr Jones you are owing the fund bolts. You may pay in services starting with the Toilet belay.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 11:48:23 am
I doubt the original cemented in pegs were really pegged in as such, just bit at the tip and wobbled around in a cavity. Bolts without the bolt like the drilled threads in the top and bottom of the Revelations aręte. Less likely to get chopped. Bolt in disguise.

danm

• junky
#22 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 01:34:11 pm
Your biggest mission will be getting the original pegs out without causing a mess. The "pegs" petejh is talking about are a pretty decent option if you want to bolt something without bolting it, if you know what I mean.

SamT

• forum hero
#23 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 01:42:57 pm
We've got some stainless 'pegs'* (they're peg-shaped bolts really) here if you want three Haydn. We use them for just this sort of non-trad route - i.e.replace formerly bomber pegs with new stainless glue-in bolts that look like pegs and are placed using a hand-held peg placing hammer-action device. It keeps people happy/oblivious.

(* square section stainless with a traditional peg-looking small eye, painted black hammerite)

Its not some of these is it - http://www.resinanchor.co.uk/

They'd be great for this kind of thing if only they were commercially available, but as far as I'm aware, Simon is not selling them, they are purely for Yorkshire Dales caves.

Nigel

• forum hero
#24 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 01:48:31 pm
I know its probably considered a whacky option, but what about carefully removing the pegs and seeing if any bomber trad gear "reveals itself", then headpointing it? I know it sort of disregards the history of the route, but it fits with the climbing tradition of style improvement, but most importantly you'll get one over on Jerry! 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal