UKBouldering.com

Verbal abuse (Read 17155 times)

kc

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 03:34:40 pm
Getting the pegs out is the easy bit. When you know how. But it won't be me doing it. About time someone else spilt their sweat and blood on the crag.

danm

• junky
#26 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 03:41:44 pm
Spill the beans then KC, how do you do it? I've heard of people using funkness devices when the peg isn't too badly rusted.

Sam, not those bolts no, more like a modified knifeblade in stainless steel.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#27 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 03:42:24 pm
Getting the pegs out is the easy bit. When you know how. But it won't be me doing it. About time someone else spilt their sweat and blood on the crag.

judging from recent clothes found at the Tor I think someone has added the missing bodily fluid for you there too

petejh

• forum hero
#28 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 03:49:12 pm
We've got some stainless 'pegs'* (they're peg-shaped bolts really) here if you want three Haydn. We use them for just this sort of non-trad route - i.e.replace formerly bomber pegs with new stainless glue-in bolts that look like pegs and are placed using a hand-held peg placing hammer-action device. It keeps people happy/oblivious.

(* square section stainless with a traditional peg-looking small eye, painted black hammerite)

Its not some of these is it - http://www.resinanchor.co.uk/

They'd be great for this kind of thing if only they were commercially available, but as far as I'm aware, Simon is not selling them, they are purely for Yorkshire Dales caves.

No, similar but more peg-looking than those.

Didn't read the link fully but are they saying there isn't a good resin bolt commercially available since the demise of the DMM eco?!  There are loads.

mark20

• junky
#29 Re: Verbal abuse
December 01, 2016, 04:02:01 pm
Spill the beans then KC, how do you do it? I've heard of people using funkness devices when the peg isn't too badly rusted.

Sam, not those bolts no, more like a modified knifeblade in stainless steel.

I managed to get a peg out of a round (drilled?) pocket with a bolt tester, that would have never have otherwise come out.

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Verbal abuse
December 02, 2016, 02:51:45 pm
Isn't the whole essence of Peak limestone climbing that the trad is full of shitty old fixed gear and runouts.....and the sport is full of shitty old gear and runouts??

Thing is, UKB is hardly full public consultation (even in a climbing sense of the phrase), I think it's probably just slightly less biased than going off likes on Facebook (just look at any of our polls for some evidence to support this); people don't go for full public consultation because it rarely leads anywhere conclusive.

Surely the danger with bolting it it then becomes "a bolt route", and hence over time someone is likely to look at it ignorant to the historical perspective and think to themselves "this is a bolt route, it's badly bolted, so I'll just add another bolt or two to that runout". Or a future Gresham does a harder variant line and bolts it fully.

This seems like a pretty similar scenario to Hot Fun Closing where Ben's directive was to "do a good job". The important point is to ensure that historically ignorant people (or the impacts thereof) are corrected. If the context of the re-gearing was captured (guidebook or perhaps online description?) I think it might help.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#31 Re: Verbal abuse
December 03, 2016, 04:13:24 pm
So im going to the tor tmrw and rebolting the toilet. The adjacent route.

No ones threatened my life if i replace the pegs so im probably gonna replace them if i get a chance.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#32 Re: Verbal abuse
December 03, 2016, 05:26:48 pm
So im going to the tor tmrw and rebolting the toilet. The adjacent route.

Are you going to do the toilet belay as well?

haydn jones

• forum hero
#33 Re: Verbal abuse
December 03, 2016, 06:51:44 pm
I was planning on doing so. Simon said he was giving you the drill and you were going on sunday.  Is that right?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#34 Re: Verbal abuse
December 03, 2016, 07:21:05 pm
Gotcha

kc

• obsessive maniac
#35 Re: Verbal abuse
December 03, 2016, 10:19:51 pm
It's only the belay that needs doing. Nowt wrong with the route bolts.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#36 Re: Verbal abuse
December 03, 2016, 10:44:00 pm
Cheers for confirming this KC.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#37 Re: Verbal abuse
December 04, 2016, 02:30:56 am
Hi Haydn.

Thought I'd chime in late on this one. See what you think.

This might seem a bit of a ball ache, but there aren't many hard trad lime routes around, so given the historical status, it might be worth considering.

How about taking the pegs out, and seeing what we're left with. Maybe throw it out to folk here - and elsewhere. It's very easy to convince yourself of widespread support by appealing to a narrow audience.

I think that if we can find an alternative to bolting the route, it would be a good thing. This needs a bit more thought.

By way of comparison, Ninth Life seems a poor trad route, and yet it's maintained it's status regardless of every route L & R getting bolted. I'm not saying I think that's right.

Someone asked me recently (Hi Tom) about retro bolting a route of mine in Devon. My thoughts were that I didn't think it was necessarily the right of the FA to dictate yes/no.

I think it's important that the decision to bolt/not bolt the route is a fully conscious one with all the alternative options considered. We know that there's f'all chance of the route retaining it's trad character, and avoiding the full retro treatment at a later point.

I think it would be pretty cool if the route became something of a trad test piece. There's something intangible and emotional that's often not fully understood about the resistance to bolting. It's not about safety.

There are routes I've put up, with trad gear, that I'd seriously consider bolting now, to replace old pegs. This isn't necessarily an anti bolt stance, and I'm not particularly a fan of scrappy tat routes; could we have a good opportunity for something a bit different. I applauded "Eyes Wide Shut" for that reason.

My suggestion.

Take the pegs out; see what's left, and go from there.

Put it out to a wider audience.

Take some more time over the decision.

:thumbsup:

kc

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Verbal abuse
November 09, 2019, 12:35:44 am

Nerd Alert!
So what's happened 3 years on? 3 spider homes drilled next to old pegs!
The most neglected worthwhile route at the Tor.
Having recently top roped the bulk of this route may I offer an insight of what could happen.

There are/were 2 good pegs and 1 peg that goes into the rock 1/3 that is basically cemented to the wall. There are no wire placements to speak of, perhaps in a lose block on the easy ground above, so not really trad. The 2 good pegs are actually off route. The route would have been climbed with double ropes and possibly in a yo-yo/ground up style. You would probably climb up then down what is now the Toilet and clip a peg or make an awkward traverse. Holds may well have come off here anyway.
The route starts up pinches wall to the top of a rib and a prominent undercut above the cemented peg as per Hot Flushings and passing bolts on that route.
 From the undercut reach up left to a crimp (this is about level with the Toilet peg way out left) and rock over to a dirty crimp into the crux, traversing left towards a flake. Layback up the flake. A fall from here would be a safe distance from the deck but a right clatter. Reach left off route to clip the peg that is now on "A call of nature." Move right into an undercut and make a long reach up right over the overlap. This is the last hard move. The climbing above is easy but you have the option of scrambling up on blocky choss or keeping left on solid but slightly harder ground. No real gear up there so proceed with care.(7c+ish)

Options:

1. Put the bolts in the pre drilled holes. You will need to use double ropes as before but the holes are actually drilled on the wrong side of the pegs making them more off line.

2. Put new bolts in line with the climbing and away from adjacent routes but keep it spicy. The first bolt excluding the ones clipable from Hot Flushings would go in at a reach from the big undercut with the cemented peg. This would nearly be 180° with the Toilet peg but on route. A second bolt again in a horizontal line with the next peg but on route. There is a possibility of removing a large hollow flake on the head wall. This would be safer for bystanders and block the easy path to choss land forcing the climber onto good rock. Maybe one bolt out left will force the route that way with a nice long run-out to enjoy to a new belay right of "A call of nature."

3. Do nothing or remove the pegs.
That option has been there for 30+ years already. It's either a fixed gear route or no gear.

Currently it's an absolute bitch to work on a top rope so the second opinion would be great. People could use long slings and double clip without the need for additional bolts so it could cater for all tastes.

Not that I give a shit about "sport for all" but I can provide this service.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#39 Re: Verbal abuse
November 09, 2019, 08:15:35 am
Email Jerry suggesting option 2 and get his approval.

abarro81

• forum hero
#40 Re: Verbal abuse
November 09, 2019, 10:43:27 am
 :agree:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#41 Re: Verbal abuse
November 09, 2019, 11:04:58 am
From the armchair,  :agree:

tomtom

• forum hero
#42 Re: Verbal abuse
November 09, 2019, 11:36:34 am
There was me looking at the thread title thinking this was about Shark and GuyVG😂

haydn jones

• forum hero
#43 Re: Verbal abuse
November 09, 2019, 04:25:12 pm
I'll email Jerry tomorrow and post his response here.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#44 Re: Verbal abuse
November 27, 2019, 05:20:52 pm
So I just spoke with the main man down the fun factory today.
 He was under the impression that the route had already been bolted.
I think he agreed with my rational regarding the position of the bolts and thought putting a belay below the rubble would make it a more popular prospect.
I will however clean a way up to the high break with an additional bolt forcing the route away from said rubble.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#45 Re: Verbal abuse
November 27, 2019, 07:49:04 pm
Thanks, KC. Spicy 7c+ then?

kc

• obsessive maniac
#46 Re: Verbal abuse
November 28, 2019, 09:17:06 am
A little but more Korma than Madras. Some exciting moments.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal