UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 353 21st Nov - 27th Nov 2016 (Read 21061 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

M: ached
T: Reading - meeting...
W: See above...
Th: Thursday club with Dolly and Rob. Potentially minging conditions so chanced Curbar... good session on the bad landing boulder.. retroflashed the 7A, then did parts of Late Junction well - had a hard time working La Muse... then Haydn bounced up the hill and came up with some good high heel beta (after reaming his elbows on Bad Lip) which was promising, but I was out of skin and out of time (Baby jabs..)
Fr: bah
Sa: I HAD A PASS... potentially sketchy conditions - headed up to Blackstone.. did a couple of new problems in the beyond area (a sit and arete at about 7A) and a less fun sit at 6B ish.. retroflashed Ape Hour (which I was well chuffed with as its quite stern for 7A+) then wandered up the other end looking for the Anvil (but couldnt find it) and ended up on the Wedge. Did the 7A+ that didnt involve a heinous mantle experience and trotted off home very happy.
Su: Fly to Switzerland  - work stuff. Bern is weird.... 

I noticed on facebook that Shark is attending a yoga class....

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
10.13-11.0 No alcohol

M. AM Crag X Headed out in the filthiest weather Crag still dry! Wet streak stopped 2ins short of the slot. Got to work on top section. Cold. Pervading damp. Heel toe kept popping. Took a 30 min break and nap in car. Tried again. Still not happening. Sacked it off. Headed to the systems board. AnCap session. Crap scores. Eve Yoga

T.

W.

T. Old boys self-help club. Foundry benchmarking with Keith Paul and Ste. 70kg clothed weight. Assisted one arm hangs on Lattice edge 5sec +12kg assistance Left +10kg assistance Right. Max Moves on Lattice =60 taking 2mins44secs (opportunity for another dig TT) Then 20 mins rest then 75% Max = 45movesx1 Rest 94secs 41moves rest 77secs 25moves rest 45secs 17moves rest 34secs 13 moves rest 26secs 11moves Also did Steve's general strength tests - L Sit (5 secs) Assisted one arm with knotted rope 3xLeft 4 x Right, Pullups with shoe balanced on knees to prevent kipping (x11) and pushups x30. Collectively the scores confirmed what I already knew - I was a crap climber and a worthless human being. 

F. Aching

S.Still aching. Drove out in mist and went to X for an hour – dry but glassy – hard to tell whetehr it was me or conditions but either way I wasn’t getting anywhere. Feeling glum drove back in mist and emerged in blue skies by Apparent North above once in a lifetime cloud inversion across Hope Valley. Bit warm at Remergence. Got on Blind Date but paced myself for better connies. Kept at it when others left and got lamps out and watched the stars. Did well with best go getting left hand slot and fell going from intermediate pebble to right hand slot which is similar to my previous highpoint with Dolly in February. Must have got but not held the left hand slot 5 other times. Good session felt like I was in with a chance

S. Coaxed Tommy out mid afternoon to Birchens. Bit damp when we got there - apparently it had been raining. Soloed a couple of routes then we both did Kiss Me Softy 6B which was much better than it looked. Had a play on Kiss My Atrse which was hard but suspect I was making it overly hard for myself by not using the foot block

Back and fingers much better. Starting 12 week training programme this week 

This should include sessions of 2xWave bouldering, 2xGastons&Throws practice, 2xAnCap, 2xAeroCap, 2xGeneral Strength and 2xFingerboard.Not looking forward to it - I'd much rather fart about on the grit but desperate measures are required   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:32:20 pm by shark »

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
wandered up the other end looking for the Anvil (but couldnt find it)

Sounds like a good day! Surprised you couldn't find the Anvil though - biggest boulder at Blackstone! If you stand looking at Fridge Hugger and then walk off right, you'll soon spot it. The map on p.290 should help?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
70kg clothed weight

If this is part of a "Train heavy; send light" strategy then can you publish your Malham trip dates in advance so we all know when to avoid the crag.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
STG: Get to the top of a moonboard by any means whatsoever.
MTG (Spring 2017): Redpoint 7b
LTG (<= 5 years): Redpoint 8a before I hit 60.

M:
T:   
W: In Nuremberg with work; spent the evening at E4 because it's closer to the railway station than Cafe Kraft for getting home afterwards. It's small, I think I would get bored quickly if it were my regular wall, but perfectly ok for a one-off. Flashed a traverse that was the same colour as the 7A to 7C bloc circuit. I suspect the colour may have been a coincidence, particularly as this happened towards the end of a 25 minute ARC set.
T: Half hour shoulder rehab / mobility
F: ditto
   Went to the doc, who reckons my multi week case of General Crapness Syndrome seems more like and allergy than an infection. Tests required to establish allergy to what at this time of year. Meanwhile cortisol spray to alleviate symptoms.

S: Comp with M jnr at Boulderwelt in Regensburg. Not as good as the last couple of rounds - way overcrowded and queues too long. Nevertheless doing comp problems is good because it forces you to try things outside your comfort zone. One of today's few decent tops was a scary no-hands stand up on a slopy volume at top of the comp wall - this was *far* outside my comfort zone and I probably would have backed off had there not been an audience.

S: MTB. Cortisol spray seems to help: first time in weeks I've felt well enough to get out on the bike in the woods for an hour. yyfy.

The Plan: set easier replicas of moonboard "6B+" problems on other steep boards, and train on them all winter.

36chambers

• forum hero
M:
T: 50 board. Brilliant session. Climbed one of my small holds "projects" without much hassle. It was suppose to take me a good number of session but the holds and moves actually felt fine. Keen for more.     
W:
T: Impromptu one arm max hang/benchmarking session. Very surprised to be able to hang the middle BM2K edge with my RH for 7-8 seconds. Only managed 2 seconds with my LH but I have had a long term finger injury which still isn't 100%. 
F: Quick hit at Baslow.
S: Weekend in Peak with non climbing friends. On a day which looked unbelievably good for climbing. Silly amounts of alcohol.
S: Quick session checking out Famous Grouse 7B+ on my way home. With a combination of the fading light and hangover induced abysmal footwork I succeeded in puntering off the top about 4 times in a row :pissed: 

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
70kg clothed weight

If this is part of a "Train heavy; send light" strategy then can you publish your Malham trip dates in advance so we all know when to avoid the crag.

:lol:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I'm a crap climber and a worthless human being.

Don't believe everything Paul says.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
70kg clothed weight

Don't worry - I won't hold it against you

Plattsy

• forum hero
  Had a play on Kiss My Atrse which was hard but suspect I was making it overly hard for myself by not using the foot block.

Foot block to the left?
I was playing on this on Saturday. I could start it with the footblock but was nowhere near without. PB videos show with and without.  :shrug:

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
STG: Heal elbow, climbs some things
MTG: More 7B/+s
LTG: 8A

M: Last day in Font, everything quite wet. Went to Rocher du Duc and tried the 7A roof above the carvings, would go when dry as not that hard, wet and very slopy top-out wouldn't allow it this time though
T:
W:
T: Arch, took ibuprofen before and rested more in between problems than normal. No real elbow symptoms, a bit of ache afterwards. Good session!
F:
S: Arch, another good session, feeling strong - weird.
S:

Elbow starting to feel better while climbing, hopefully I'll get out this weekend!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
  Had a play on Kiss My Atrse which was hard but suspect I was making it overly hard for myself by not using the foot block.

Foot block to the left?
I was playing on this on Saturday. I could start it with the footblock but was nowhere near without. PB videos show with and without.  :shrug:

That "footblock" looks suspiciously like the floor to me. Used to be 6C+ so likely now graded for doing it without.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Foot block to the left?

That "footblock" looks suspiciously like the floor to me. Used to be 6C+ so likely now graded for doing it without.

This was the photo that made me think I was doing it wrong:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=255410

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:42:58 am by shark »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
goals - 
Nov -  training block focussing on strength.
Dec - Feb training, training, training.

2017 - Powerplant, Raindogs, Nemesis, Anger Management, 7c onsight, E6.

MTW - nowt
Thu - Physio session 3, small improvements, pains in elbows likely referred so told to get back at it.

Fri Mini Works - LI AeroCap 3x10 mins traversing and up and down problems then did the yellow circuit, 19 problems, about 25 attempts, no rests, in 17 minutes.

Sat nowt

Sun - base session 9 - performance similar to session 3 on Nov 4th  :o :furious: Never get out of the boat

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Foot block to the left?

This was the photo that made me think I was doing it wrong:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=255410

He's doing a five move sit-start with a chalk bag on, not to be treated as gospel...

It was a long time ago but this didn't feel too bad:

dave

Ian's vid look about right, that guy in the photo is stood on the floor.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Right, after the maudlin being ill for weeks, i'm back on the wagon.

M - bouldering at the wall - OK session seeing I only go there at 8. Should have cut nails, was grinding up everything

T - short weight session

W - bouldered at the wall - fairly good session, managed a couple of new probs, still struggling on 45 deg board though. Skin a bit thin after 2 sessions in a week.

T - v short weights session, like 10 mins

F - nothing

S - short walk with kids

S - 10 K run, felt OK for first run in about 4 weeks. Nice morning, easy social pace.

T_B

• forum hero
M - Off work with pulled back
T - ditto
W -
T - Moving around a bit on the wall
F - Slightly better moving around, you could almost pretend it was AeroCap
S -
S - Works. Warmed up on some Irnbrus, then did 1-4-6 on both arms a few times. Max hangs. Didn't want to put loads of weight on, so just did some unweighted half crimps, then worked up to 5 x middle 2 with 8Kgs on, 2.5 mins rest. 2 x 25Kg r-hand pinches, failed on left hand and sacked it for more shuffling around, completing the Irnbru circuit (37? problems).

Chronic lower back injury rears it's ugly head for (only) the 2nd time this year, but a bad one. Could hardly move Monday. Is slowly easing off, but thinking I might need to get a proper diagnosis of suspected herniated disc.

Dolly

• forum hero
M Wave. Did 2 level 3s which is good for me. I had to really try hard on the yellow and black at the far right hand side.
T Knackered from Monday - just a bit of bodyweight HIT
W MTB. Houndkirk moor then down a very wet Blacka. Ace
T TT suggested Curbar bad landing boulder. Did Late Junction which I enjoyed (good beta from TT  - Cheers) then after TT had left Robin B and I did Eh Andre. Had a look at the problems at Tegness on the way back but they were wet after all the rain on Monday.
F Kettlebells core
S Loads of pullp ups and lock offs - and a few lat pull downs and some curls.
S

Duma

• forum hero
Goals:
Good winter bouldering season,
8A (Hunters Roof? Full Power?)and 8b by next June
In shape for SA next summer.

Body Audit: Fingers ok, R shoulder still sore despite plenty of rest last week, if anything worse - going to climb tonight and see how it goes.
Sleep: Ok, caught up at weekend.

M: Nothing, rest from previous week. (~7.5hrs)
T: Nothing, see above. (~7hrs)
W: TCA eve, did all the new Reds (5 - 6B), flashed all but one (dyno), then more work on the final Yellow, new sequence feeling good, getting as far as dropping the match on the penultimate hold now. Hopeful it may go tonight, be good to finish this set, esp as they come down this week. (~6.5hrs)
T: Work eve out, ok but bailed fairly early to better pub and better company in Bristol, managed not to drink too much(~5.5hrs)
F: Nothing, picked up daughter in eve for the weekend. (~8hrs)
S: Nothing, shopping then school christmas fair - considerably improved by addition of mulled cider in inappropriate quantity (~7hrs)
S: Nothing, 8yr old birthday party - no mulled cider  :( . Did get sloe gin in the eve though  :) (~6hrs)

Sod all. Not doing enough. Annoyed shoulder not improved. Got results from the comp Thurs before last though - second and only 5 points behind Yan so pretty happy with that - he looked very strong on the ones I saw him do - not loads of competition though.

69kg

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Power Club

Mon - hill sprints x6; boxing bag. Fantastic.
Tue - rest
Wed - PE low 3'10". Still poor but better. Front lever pulls x10, dumbbell complex x10 all x3. Brutal.
Thu - 20' bag; climbing class.
Fri - rest.
Sat - climbing gym. Hot.
Sun - rest.

Mixed week. Not done much, struggling to find motivation for board projects.

measles23

• stalker
STG: Bulgarian fingerboarding
MTG: climb again
LTG: deadlift again

M- 1. Max hangs 2-arm BM2k small crimps open crimp: 9 sets up to +45 x 5s
     2. Finger pull-ups (open hand to open crimp) 2-arm big crimp: 5 sets up to +15x3
     3. Assisted 1-arm hangs BM2k central rung open crimp: 5 sets up to -5 x 3s

T- 1. Max hangs 3 finger drag BM2k right 'eye': 7 sets up to -5 x 5s
    2. Weighted pull-ups: 6 sets up to +50 x 2
    3. Dead hangs off pinches on board: 5 sets no added weight

W- 1. Max hangs 2-arm BM2k small crimps open crimp: 9 sets up to +45 x 8s; 50kg feels too dangerous in case of dry     firing, so I'm going to shift to 1-arm work now...
     2. Finger pull-ups (open hand to open crimp) 2-arm big crimp: 5 sets up to +20 x 2

T- 1. Max hangs 3 finger drag BM2k right 'eye': 7 sets up to 0 x 5s on left, -5 x 5s on right
    2. Weighted pull-ups: 6 sets up to +50 x 3
    3. 3 finger drag lock offs on straps: 5 sets

F-  1. Max hangs 1-arm pulley assist BM2k small crimp open crimp: 9 sets up to -10 x 5s
     2. Finger pull-ups (open hand to open crimp) 2-arm big crimp: 5 sets up to +20 x 3
     3. 2-arm hangs BM2k open crimp small crimps: 6 sets mostly +30 x 5s

S- Rest

S- Stoke AW: 3 sets per side single 1-armers; decent quality
   Pulled on moonboard - better than last week but essentially climbing one footed as although I can weight-bear through the heel, I can't get force going through my toes.. Fingers do feel fuck-off strong tho :)

fried

• forum hero
M- rest
Tu - Indoors, working the new '6B' problems, making good progress, feeling stronger every week, started on a black '6C' the previous week, seemed hard at first, but got to the second last move on that too, never climbed a 6C indoors.

W- Rest
Th - A repeat of Tuesday, but feeling a little bit better, good feeling this, didn't finish anything though. It doesn'y bother me anymore, just like trying harder moves.
F - Rest
S - More Rest and booze and duck.

Su - Was planning to go indoors again as the forecast didn't look great, but woke up to blue skies, went to Gorge aux chat, a bit damp in place, but a good choice, and worked my 2 projects Gigi and Travaux forcés, feeling O.K, got my sequences worked on Travaux Forcés but need either perfect conditions or a bit more finger strength to make the move up. Gigi will be tough, all the start moves are so low percentage for me. Watched a guy who'd been trying Travaux Forcé with me snap his ankle on another problem, went home after that. Ate a big pile of caramalised Peking duck skin.

Weight 75.1kg

Good week.

Murph

• forum abuser
STG: Bulgarian fingerboarding
Fingers do feel fuck-off strong tho :)

Just reading that routine made my fingers throb with jealousy. Solid work Matt. When you can only train one thing it's harder to get distracted.

STG - weight maintenance. keep my hand in. Plan the training.
MTG - mileage. Do the training.
LTG - Rubicon 8A

M- bodyweight stuff
T- works session. Wasps then motherboard. Couldn't even do the easiest problem in the book but didn't expect to. This feels like great training for Rubicon. Overhanging and crap feet - perfect! Also, can confirm, the works campus board large rungs are much easier than the matrix's - that was a relief.
W- podcast by someone called Charles Poliquin who, apparently, has trained 20 medal winning olympians. He must know his stuff surely? Well he disagreed with everything that Pavel said the week before - kettle bells, foam rolling and planks are "moronic" apparently. It's  Started reading up on Leto too. My God that's a rabbit hole and a half!
T - one arm finger board max hangs (but still without a pulley rigged up). Was practicing with support lowdown on a door frame. Managed several repetitions of 10s like this but not scientific. A learning experience....here's what I found out:
1. The bottom outside edge holds on a BM1000 are much harder to hang than the middlehold on a BM2000. The middle hold on a BM2k is a jug in comparison. This is crazy.
2. According to Tom R on the training beta podcast an 8A/+ climber should be able to hold a 20mm edge for 5s with 100-110% bodyweight. If he is talking about the middle hold on a 2k I can't be far off that. Damn my crap technique. Genuinely psyched for making gains here. I know strength is my greatest strength but I pretty much like fingerboard more than actual climbing.
F - kids. But still managed kettlebell swings and some painful stretching.
S - felt stretched. curbar and plantation bouldering. Amazing conditions above the fog but what did I know. Couldn't do the rail-to-jug move on green traverse which I know I should find easy. Ticked Crescent Arête which I have longtime wanted to do. It wasn't easy by any stretch - found very scary.
S - more stretching. Got an amazon delivery of a trx, a foam roller and some elastic band things. I will become flexible!

Weight - 63-64 the last few days. Feel good. Trying to up the fat and drop the carbs to help with hunger & over eating and it's going ok.

Mood - Psyched for training. Again. Feels good!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

2. According to Tom R on the training beta podcast an 8A/+ climber should be able to hold a 20mm edge for 5s with 100-110% bodyweight.
That's quite interesting.
Cheers, I'll sleep well tonight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal