UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 506766 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Some points of trivia and further interest.

This thread has gone a bit quiet..

..now that everyone has moved onto post-Brexit trade, and crap problems in la Forêt.

Perhaps we should rename it
"The Muted Trumper" after the route by Andy Harris and Rich Heap (spotted and prepped by yours truly) from 1999 at Stanage?

The Duck and I share the same initials, David James Thomas and Donald John Trump. I'll have words with my mother later..  :whistle:

There's an excellent thread - among many others - at abc.net.au on the progress/outcome etc of impeachment proceedings, as well as the latest on dialogue between Biden and Putin..(the Butin):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-27/donald-trumps-impeachment-trial-outcomes/13088060

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Although I think it's a good thing Trump is being impeached, it's a bit depressing that there's almost no chance of conviction in the Senate. He really needs to be in prison, but I suspect he'll end up running in 2024

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
This loon is an elected  congresswoman!?!?!? It's scary how bad things have got in the US. Trumpism is far from having gone away.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/27/marjorie-taylor-greene-republican-no-action-pelosi-execution

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Ridiculous. If any member of the public made those statements publicly the FBI would be all over them.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2354 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 01, 2021, 04:20:19 pm
This loon is an elected  congresswoman!?!?!? It's scary how bad things have got in the US. Trumpism is far from having gone away.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/27/marjorie-taylor-greene-republican-no-action-pelosi-execution

She's not only a mental Q believer, and a congresswoman, but on an education committee as well. Perhaps the most frightening story in the states is the increasing mainstreaming of this sort of bullshit, as well as the increasing willingness of a number of politicians to pander to white supremacy, question legitimate democracy, and openly lie to voters, the media and anyone who will listen.
It's interesting reading some pieces by people who've investigated conspiracy theories extensively on the Q phenomenon. It's totally without any reason or original basis in any kind of reality, in the way that one might see that people are scared of things they don't understand, like vaccines or 5G, ridiculous though these might be as well. Its a sort of weird dungeons and dragons esque fantasy mass delusion as far as I can gather, and MTG should be nowhere near public authority of any kind.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2355 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 01, 2021, 04:43:14 pm
 :agree:
There's also a big nail in the coffin to come when Trump is not convicted in the Senate trial. How much faith can the citizens of western democracies have in the failsafes that protect democracy when it's made so blatant that those with their hands on the lever will back 'their guy' no matter what.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#2356 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 06, 2021, 05:20:50 am
Trump bashers.

I think I've heard enough.
Neither you, nor I are "all bad".

What made you smile today?

;D

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2357 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 06, 2021, 08:59:36 am
MSNBC are having fun at Trump's expense but the fact is all past Presidents are called President. If we want to look at weird etiquette attached to positions of power the UK beats the US hands down. The real issue here is genuine abuse of the US constitution will be covered up for political ends.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#2358 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 06, 2021, 04:16:35 pm
MSNBC are having fun at Trump's expense but the fact is all past Presidents are called President. If we want to look at weird etiquette attached to positions of power the UK beats the US hands down. The real issue here is genuine abuse of the US constitution will be covered up for political ends.

Sorry you didn't find it as amusing as I did Offwidth  ;)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2361 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 12, 2021, 09:18:04 am
Be interesting to see if Trump’s lawyers come up with anything more useful today, although I guess they don’t really need to as they already know the vote will be in his favour.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#2362 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 01:04:01 am
Fight club!  :boxing:

How much work must that have taken? Elizabeth Warren seems especially frightening!

Far too much emotive testimony in this show trial.

Loos3-tools

#2363 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 06:59:03 am
Maybe they should get Hunter Biden in as an expert witness on corruption, nepotism, vice. Uncle joe could then drop him a couple of mil diverted from the health budget to employ him as a moral educator for the nation. Oh hang on a minute

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/us/hunter-biden-memoir.amp.html%3f0p19G=2103

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2364 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 07:36:04 am
But her emails.

Far too much emotive testimony in this show trial.

It’s a bit sad that this is the best they can come up with in defence, but their poor performance isn’t actually going to change the outcome.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:45:02 am by teestub »

Loos3-tools

#2365 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 08:41:07 am
Hey up I don’t think HB was charged? Doesn’t seem to matter when they literally get away with murder for power. Here’s an official looking document on outcomes of his case in the Ukraine. On basic level if they were to go all operation yew tree on the people associated with Epstein no doubt half these guys would be in the dirt. https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/HSGAC_Finance_Report_FINAL.pdf

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2366 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 09:03:30 am
Seems the best they could come up with was that it was ‘awkward’. Pales into comparison to the Trumps being banned from running charities etc.

Loos3-tools

#2367 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 09:17:29 am
Don’t matter, non of it. All there is left to do is sit back and watch the show.

seankenny

• forum hero
#2368 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 11:05:50 am
Hey up I don’t think HB was charged? Doesn’t seem to matter when they literally get away with murder for power. Here’s an official looking document on outcomes of his case in the Ukraine. On basic level if they were to go all operation yew tree on the people associated with Epstein no doubt half these guys would be in the dirt. https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/HSGAC_Finance_Report_FINAL.pdf

Was that a report from the committee headed by two Trump loyalist senators which rehashed Russian misinformation? The conclusion is full of apparently and no actual hard findings that it’s hard to take it seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/us/politics/biden-inquiry-republicans-johnson.html

Posting pro-Trump stuff and John Pilger links on one thread, and anti-lockdown, anti “liberal elite” stuff on another. You so called free thinkers really are the most predictable and tedious men.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2369 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 11:16:13 am
I like the poems though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2370 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 11:25:36 am

Was that a report from the committee headed by two Trump loyalist senators which rehashed Russian misinformation? The conclusion is full of apparently and no actual hard findings that it’s hard to take it seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/us/politics/biden-inquiry-republicans-johnson.html

Posting pro-Trump stuff and John Pilger links on one thread, and anti-lockdown, anti “liberal elite” stuff on another. You so called free thinkers really are the most predictable and tedious men.

Dude, you’re missing the point!
If it’s Russian “misinformation” or dubious conjecture from right wing pundits or politicians, it’s “real” as is anything from the other extreme.
If it’s reporting, with citations etc, in something other than headline format, in a publication that doesn’t support his world view, then it’s “programming”.
Evidence that doesn’t support his preferred conjecture, is automatically misinformation, but random unsupported statements or memes that do, are gospels to be worshipped.

It must be overwhelming to feel so out of control, so lost and helpless, that you begin to create alternative realities, where you become the “Elite”. Where  you become one of the enlightened. Part of that small group, who alone know the truth. Suddenly, it’s all black and white.

A bit like buying an electric bike and suddenly believing you’re the worlds greatest cyclist, even as your feet stop moving...

Loos3-tools

#2371 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 12:07:15 pm
Is John Pilger bad? I thought he made interesting documentaries and was respected for it

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2372 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 05:28:25 pm
So the Impeachment trial is not over and they are probably calling witnesses. This tweet showing Trumps indifference to the situation house representatives were in seemed to be crucial to that decision.

https://twitter.com/HerreraBeutler/status/1360419828721401856?s=20

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2373 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 13, 2021, 11:59:14 pm
....and then the democrats blink.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2374 Re: U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
February 14, 2021, 07:50:41 am
....and then the democrats blink.

I think they were right to wrap up and move on, it was obvious that they weren’t going to get the votes no matter how much evidence was presented so they were just wasting time. Any arguments about it needing to form a public record seem moot, it’s all there in many media forms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal