UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 506721 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1525 Re: Trump
June 20, 2020, 11:26:51 am
Barr tried to quietly fire the SDNY AG yesterday but he's having none of it and it looks like he can't anyway.  The SDNY have a bunch of sealed indictments waiting to rain down on Trump as soon as he's no longer the president.

Trump looks so impaired I wonder whether he'll even make it to November.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1526 Re: Trump
June 20, 2020, 11:34:36 am
I expect today's rally in Tulsa to be an absolute shit show.

I don't think there's anyway it was an accident that it was originally planned for Juneteenth or that the upcoming Jacksonville rally is scheduled on the anniversary of Ax Handle Saturday.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#1527 Re: Trump
June 20, 2020, 08:07:56 pm
And 6 of Trump's team for Tulsa have just tested positive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/20/tulsa-trump-rally/

Ged

• junky
#1528 Re: Trump
June 21, 2020, 07:42:47 am
Donald thinks testing for covid is a bad thing because it just reveals more cases.

Right.

Because covid is only bad if you notice its there.

The mind boggles.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1529 Re: Trump
June 21, 2020, 08:26:39 am
Donald thinks testing for covid is a bad thing because it just reveals more cases.
Right.
Because covid is only bad if you notice its there.
The mind boggles.

Perhaps he's a Douglas Adams fan?

The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal is a vicious wild animal from the planet of Traal, known for its never-ending hunger and its mind-boggling stupidity. One of the main features of the Beast is that if you can't see it, it assumes it can't see you. Due to this it has been considered one of the least intelligent creatures in the Universe.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1530 Re: Trump
June 21, 2020, 09:21:57 am
Whilst its satisfying to laugh at Trump's almost unbelievable ignorance and at the revelations:
The Room Where It Happened review: John Bolton fires broadside that could sink Trump
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/21/the-room-where-it-happened-review-john-bolton-donald-trump?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I still think that Trump will win reelection in November,  through a combination of Russian intervention,  cheating,  the loyalty of the evangelical and misguided 'patriotic' contingent, and Biden being too invisible. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#1531 Re: Trump
June 21, 2020, 09:30:44 am
I think the most telling impact of trumps rally may not be what he said or did - but that there were many many empty seats (and space on the floor). These will be apparent for all to see....

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1532 Re: Trump
June 21, 2020, 10:15:54 am
We could be charitable and say that Trump fans are more sensible than many give them credit for, and decided to stay away from a packed indoor space?

Also read that there was a coordinated effort from various groups to request a load of tickets, but not sure if the veracity of that.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1533 Re: Trump
June 21, 2020, 10:23:59 am
Obviously Trump's rally was a stupid, dangerous idea, he openly said he didn't want to test with the implication that the high infections made him look bad, attendance was worse than he expected etc, BUT, he'll still chalk it up as s victory on social media. Many will pay sufficiently little attention to believe him and Russian trolls will plant further bullshit to confuse people enough that they don't bother voting at all.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1534 Re: Trump
June 30, 2020, 09:09:26 am
Another escalation of the madness. Attacking Fox polling this way isn't a sign of confidence or common sense. I really can't see his ego going into an election knowing he will be well beaten, so this is starting to look like an endgame.... fingers crossed he pulls out rather than heading for something really dangerous like cancellation of the election.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/trump-2020-us-election-drop-out-fox-news-republican-a9592036.html

TobyD

• forum hero
#1535 Re: Trump
June 30, 2020, 09:23:28 am
Another escalation of the madness. Attacking Fox polling this way isn't a sign of confidence or common sense. I really can't see his ego going into an election knowing he will be well beaten, so this is starting to look like an endgame.... fingers crossed he pulls out rather than heading for something really dangerous like cancellation of the election.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/trump-2020-us-election-drop-out-fox-news-republican-a9592036.html

Absolutely bugger all chance of him pulling out in my opinion,  I think it would be difficult at best for him to cancel the election.  I still think hes more likely to find a way to win through a combination of voter suppression and cheating. 

TobyD

• forum hero
#1536 Re: Trump
July 08, 2020, 09:05:06 am
This sounds like it would be an entertaining if extremely predictable read:

Inside the 'dysfunctional family' that gave us Trump, according to his niece

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/08/donald-trump-mary-trump-book-family?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Trump has always been a habitual cheat and liar with serious personality and family issues; who knew?!

TobyD

• forum hero
#1538 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 09:41:40 am
Agian your view seems out if touch.

https://betting.betfair.com/politics/us-politics/us-election-odds-mike-pences-odds-are-crashing-but-this-wont-be-the-last-outsider-gamble-290620-171.html

I don't believe it for a minute,  his ego is just too big. The most Trumpian option if he does pull out would be for him to hand the reins over to Kanye West, whose ego is of comparable size.

I'd guess that there's more chance that he'll try to cancel the election and declare a state of emergency and claim that the dems were cheating.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1539 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 12:13:00 pm
My point is the odds for him pulling out are not insignificant for nothing. It's just not completely unlikely. There are odds for a cancelled election as well.  His problem is carrying GOP, they must be thinking 'what the hell have we done?' given the collateral damage to their other party election odds, the state of the economy etc and any chance to dump him will seem like too good opportunity to miss. Hence if he tries to cancel, I think there is a good chance they will move against him and towill install Pence as their candidate.

ali k

• junky
#1540 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 12:32:14 pm
The most Trumpian option if he does pull out would be for him to hand the reins over to Kanye West, whose ego is of comparable size.
If Kanye is actually serious about running this time is it an attempt to somehow split the vote share and take away from Biden? I don't know enough about how US politics works but I read something recently about some high profile independents running in the past which actually swung the result.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1541 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 01:35:06 pm
SCOTUS ruling on his tax disclosure today.  It’s the last day of their term so lots of speculation whether it will go one way or the other.  It’s going to be a crazy day.

There’s loads of leaking and off the record briefing going on about whether he’ll continue or not.  The trouble is that he’ll be arrested immediately if he quits voluntarily so he has every incentive going to hang in there and pull all sorts of shenanigans around the election itself.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1542 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 02:56:24 pm
I don't think he'll go, but I'm no better briefed than the next man and could be completely wrong. And part of me - and I recognise this is an ugly emotion - would love to see him utterly crushed in November (which, of course, is not a given)

andy popp

• forum hero
#1543 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 03:21:25 pm
So, he lost the SCOTUS case, 7-2 this time.

ali k

• junky
#1544 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 03:23:57 pm
part of me - and I recognise this is an ugly emotion - would love to see him utterly crushed in November
If having only part of you wanting to see him utterly crushed is an ugly emotion then I must be the devil cos 100% of me wants to see him completely destroyed. Total and utter humiliation by being emphatically trashed at the election and then ending up in jail is the only outcome that I'd be truly content with.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1545 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 03:49:37 pm
So, he lost the SCOTUS case, 7-2 this time.

What happens to his financial records and tax returns now?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1546 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 03:52:16 pm
So the Manhattan DA gets the tax records now but Congress (and the public) don't until after the election.  They'll have fraud charges ready to drop on November 4th.

He's having a total meltdown on Twitter.

petejh

• forum hero
#1547 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 07:10:57 pm
part of me - and I recognise this is an ugly emotion - would love to see him utterly crushed in November
If having only part of you wanting to see him utterly crushed is an ugly emotion then I must be the devil cos 100% of me wants to see him completely destroyed. Total and utter humiliation by being emphatically trashed at the election and then ending up in jail is the only outcome that I'd be truly content with.

This. I find it difficult to think of anyone - other than psychopathic criminals - who I'd rather see destroyed and in jail. It's only fitting for someone so criminally corrupt and lacking empathy for the people he's supposed to be representing and serving. Actually the most fitting end would be him rendered unable to carry out an effective campaign through a debilitating dose of covid contracted via a rally. Until after November. And then fade away into old-age and infamy.

Ged

• junky
#1548 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 07:15:20 pm
My true hope is that if he loses, the media just completely forget about him, and stop giving him any kind of platform.  The world needs to see the back of him, and I truly hope people don't continue to publicize anything to do with him, either positive or negative.  Just cast him aside and move on.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1549 Re: Trump
July 09, 2020, 08:49:39 pm

This. I find it difficult to think of anyone - other than psychopathic criminals - who I'd rather see destroyed and in jail. It's only fitting for someone so criminally corrupt and lacking empathy for the people he's supposed to be representing and serving. Actually the most fitting end would be him rendered unable to carry out an effective campaign through a debilitating dose of covid contracted via a rally. Until after November. And then fade away into old-age and infamy.
It'd be rather unfair for COVID-19 to catch a nasty dose of Trump.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal