UKBouldering.com

Trump (Read 122020 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
#1150 Re: Trump
October 11, 2019, 12:23:27 pm
The Syria thing looks so bizarre a decision that I wonder what the underlying games at play are. Turns out the US only had 50 personnel in northern Syria: not a division, brigade, battalion or even a company of troops. And US troops are remaining in the rest of Syria.
They're hardly 'bringing our brave troops homeTM'

Wonder what deal has been agreed between Trump and Erdogan. Weapons sales possibly? (instead of Turkey purchasing more Russian made). A regional emergency as distraction from impeachment? Which Trump later about turns and 'solves' to great fanfare? Maybe Putin has something on Trump which he could drop into the impeachment process... unless he cedes northern Syria..
Putin has everything on Trump!

habrich

• forum hero
#1151 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 06:45:51 pm
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/donald-trump-court-rulings-bad-day/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-fallout/index.html

Am I too optimistic in thinking that Trump is on an exit path now? The weird language as to whether Giulani is still his attorney makes me think he is close to the tipping point where he is too toxic for lawyers to work for him. Feels like he will have gone (Nixon style resignation?) before the 2020 election.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • I no longer know what day of the week it is.
  • 48! How the f#£k did that happen?
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1152 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 09:33:27 pm
☝️🤞

andy popp

• forum hero
#1153 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 09:50:06 pm
The weird language as to whether Giulani is still his attorney makes me think he is close to the tipping point where he is too toxic for lawyers to work for him.

I think this is actually a case of Giuliani becoming too toxic for Trump following the arrest of his two associates this (NYT reports he is under direct investigation himself, as well). But there are signs of cracks appearing, particularly the testimony yesterday of former ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch against the instructions of the administration and testimony next week of Gordon Sonland, again against the instructions of the regime. There's a breaking point somewhere at which it becomes less risky and damaging to jump ship than to stay on board. If we reach that point he's finished. Its just not clear yet where that point lies.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1154 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 10:06:14 pm
The Post were speculating/implying/hinting  that the number of whistleblowers has increased significantly beyond the two known already.
So, possibly the tipping point has already been reached and it just isnít public yet...?

andy popp

• forum hero
#1155 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 10:10:07 pm
Possibly. A friend who works at a law firm in DC told us Thursday night about rumours of a very big resignation that might be forthcoming.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1156 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 10:40:03 pm
Actually, I cannot find the article.
So, might not have been the Post, but sure I read it this morning over coffee....

andy popp

• forum hero
#1157 Re: Trump
October 12, 2019, 11:22:29 pm
There have been many reports of multiple whistleblowers.

teestub

• forum abuser
  • Cyber Wanker
#1158 Re: Trump
October 15, 2019, 09:15:48 am
By pulling troops out of Syria I definitely didnít mean it was ok for you to move into that area  :blink:

Offwidth

• junky
    • Offwidth
#1159 Re: Trump
October 15, 2019, 12:10:42 pm
Latest

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/14/fiona-hill-testimony-trump-impeachment-inquiry

Someone like John Bolton calling Guiliani a hand grenade is telling!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1160 Re: Trump
Yesterday at 06:00:30 pm
I feel like another grenade went off.
Drowned out by the Brexit clamour and Syria massacre, it seems quite destructive, nevertheless.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/17/gordon-sondland-testimony-trump-giuliani-ukraine?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1571324417

andy popp

• forum hero
#1161 Re: Trump
Yesterday at 08:44:58 pm
Unbelievable: he only went and awarded next year's G7 event to his own Doral resort in Florida ...

... I mean, I say unbelievable, but of course, it isn't really unbelievable at all.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1163 Re: Trump
Today at 12:10:20 am
I recently saw the Ukrainian affair described as "Watergate for morons," which is pretty much perfect.

Offwidth

• junky
    • Offwidth
#1164 Re: Trump
Today at 11:21:27 am
Another op ed:

"Our Republic Is Under Attack From the President
If President Trump doesnít demonstrate the leadership that America needs, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office.
By William H. McRaven. Admiral McRaven is a former commander of the United States Special Operations Command."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/opinion/trump-mcraven-syria-military.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Plus some detailed analysis on the public views on impeachment.

https://www.people-press.org/2019/10/17/modest-changes-in-views-of-impeachment-proceedings-since-early-september/