UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 506749 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#425 Re: Trump
April 02, 2017, 10:58:35 am
I find the whole Britain leaving the EU clusterfuck deeply worrying and combined with this madness on the other side of the Atlantic, I greatly fear an enormous backwards step for humanity (or at least for western civilization)
The only thing that actually glimmers some hope for me is the fact that the American system (if you discount the gun problem) seems to of been robust enough so far to reject a lot of the absurdity.
Unfortunately I'm yet to hear about any robustness in our own systems that reject the utter chaos that is starting to happen here

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#426 Re: Trump
April 02, 2017, 09:13:07 pm

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#427 Re: Trump
April 02, 2017, 09:39:16 pm
He's bang on about the EPA. I fear the two great legacies of Brexit and Trump will be stymying action on climate change. Nothing else will cost us like that in the longer term.

andy popp

• forum hero
#428 Re: Trump
April 03, 2017, 05:48:27 pm
He's bang on about the EPA. I fear the two great legacies of Brexit and Trump will be stymying action on climate change. Nothing else will cost us like that in the longer term.

Indeed. Whilst Trump is racking up some notable failures and remains in deep trouble on many fronts its important to recognise significant parts of his agenda are being enacted through mechanisms such as the executive orders - not least with regard to the environment. Its too tempting and too easy to get caught up in the idea that he is losing.

In other news, some may remember that I've been involved in refugee resettlement. Yesterday we learnt that the organisation we have been working with, a Lutheran ministry that has been doing this kind of work for at least 30 years, have now had to lay off most of their staff. Though the travel ban remains suspended the flow of refugees has slowed to a trickle and without funding. This is just another of the little pieces of crappy news that help comprise one huge crappy picture. One of the case workers we liaised with was himself was an Iraqi refugee turned US citizen, in love with this country and the opportunity he's been given, working hard, putting his children through college, and generally trying to live the American dream. What will he do now? And for what purpose has this end come about? Just to sow division and discord I would say.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#429 Re: Trump
April 03, 2017, 07:25:52 pm
In other news, some may remember that I've been involved in refugee resettlement. Yesterday we learnt that the organisation we have been working with, a Lutheran ministry that has been doing this kind of work for at least 30 years, have now had to lay off most of their staff. Though the travel ban remains suspended the flow of refugees has slowed to a trickle and without funding. This is just another of the little pieces of crappy news that help comprise one huge crappy picture. One of the case workers we liaised with was himself was an Iraqi refugee turned US citizen, in love with this country and the opportunity he's been given, working hard, putting his children through college, and generally trying to live the American dream. What will he do now? And for what purpose has this end come about? Just to sow division and discord I would say.
I am really sorry to hear about all this Andy, a really courageous thing to do.
I was going to reply to what you said a few weeks ago, but didn't know how to start to reply.
My parents about 20 years ago were involved in a similar arrangement resettling young people from Angola, long story short in order to make things work ended up going down adoption route. As you know circumstances around wanting to uproot and move 1000's of miles are tragic. Fortunately some good can come of this my adopted brother lives in Manchester and has lovely wife and children. Andy you have given people a start to hopefully lead a better life. I am sure that in time circumstances will change and things will come full circle. I know this doesn't make things easier but Trump won't be around forever.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:33:05 pm by jfdm »

andy popp

• forum hero
#430 Re: Trump
April 03, 2017, 08:45:42 pm
Thanks jfdm - that means a lot. And good for your parents! It sounds like they did something far more significant than we're ever going to.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#431 Re: Trump
April 11, 2017, 06:55:44 pm
Freudian slip?   

andy popp

• forum hero
#432 Re: Trump
April 25, 2017, 09:41:01 pm
The fourth (and I think final) of four long pieces the Guardian have published over the last few months, reporting from Northampton county, PA - I'm just a few miles from Bethlehem, which features a lot. It gives an interesting perspective from a very ordinary, "every town" kind of place: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/25/trump-supporters-elect-again-100-days#comments

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#433 Re: Trump
April 26, 2017, 08:29:10 am
In your opinion, does this article reflect the general mood in those places?

andy popp

• forum hero
#434 Re: Trump
April 26, 2017, 06:00:18 pm
Yes and no. Certainly, I recognise these voices, as it were, and opinions of this nature are not hard to find, but for this article in particular I think they spoke to much too narrow a range of people. I remember the previous three being better balanced. There isn't a general mood really, though divisions tend to stay under the surface, for the most part.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#435 Re: Trump
May 03, 2017, 12:45:25 pm
Quote from: Rick Wilson on twatter
Taken as a package, the 100 Days interviews sound like evidence submitted in an involuntary commitment hearing to a mental institution.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/859376613674418177

This from a "republican political consultant" as well. allegedly.

andy popp

• forum hero
#436 Re: Trump
May 09, 2017, 11:45:27 pm
So Trump just fired FBI Director James Comey - this is a man who played a significant part in helping get Trump elected through his unprecedented public statements on the then ongoing investigations into Hillary Clinton's emails (the FBI normally refuses to say whether there is an investigation). But Comey is also leading the investigation into Trump-Russia connections/possible collusion. Judging by his tweeting yesterday Trump was clearly rattled by Sally Yates (ex acting Attorney General, also fired by Trump) masterful testimony to Congress on how Michael Flynn, ex National Security advisor (also fired by Trump), was compromised by his Russia ties.

This is just unbelievable stuff. I think - hope, at least - that they are starting to get close.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#437 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 12:34:01 am
DT quacks like a dictator, after all. And now, it seems like.... He'll be YouTube ing bear wrestling video very, very soon. I'd put money on it.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#438 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 06:53:42 am
So Trump just fired FBI Director James Comey - this is a man who played a significant part in helping get Trump elected through his unprecedented public statements on the then ongoing investigations into Hillary Clinton's emails (the FBI normally refuses to say whether there is an investigation). But Comey is also leading the investigation into Trump-Russia connections/possible collusion. Judging by his tweeting yesterday Trump was clearly rattled by Sally Yates (ex acting Attorney General, also fired by Trump) masterful testimony to Congress on how Michael Flynn, ex National Security advisor (also fired by Trump), was compromised by his Russia ties.

This is just unbelievable stuff. I think - hope, at least - that they are starting to get close.

I just don't understand how he can be fired like that? He can't hire like that so it doesn't make sense to me

joble

#439 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 07:32:49 am
Did you not watch the apprentice?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#440 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 07:50:11 am
He only found out he was fired by accident, according to the NYT. He was giving a lecture and it was reported on a tv screen behind him. Apparently he thought he was being pranked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave

#441 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 08:07:05 am
Trump hasn't got this whole despot president thing very dialed has he? Everyone knows you're supposed to have opponents mysteriously killed, no arrests made, Putin needs to have a word.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#442 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 08:22:39 am
Did you not watch the apprentice?

You what? Sugars in on this as well?! The plot thickens

tomtom

• forum hero
#443 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 08:27:01 am
I think he chose his words to wind up Arnie again... he used

"you are terminated" in the letter...

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#444 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 12:02:41 pm
 :popcorn: everyday!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#445 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 12:59:23 pm
Everyone knows you're supposed to have opponents mysteriously killed, no arrests made, Putin needs to have a word.

Only Polonium!

andy popp

• forum hero
#446 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 06:28:11 pm
So let's just put it like this, people are going absolutely apeshit over here. If this was an attempt to put a lid on the Russia questions, it didn't work.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#447 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 08:05:49 pm
When he does all the things his conspiracy theory, bunker dwelling , gun wielding base, had accused Obama of doing, and doing those things so blatantly. Do you think they might wake up?

Nope, me neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#448 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 08:16:10 pm
When he does all the things his conspiracy theory, bunker dwelling , gun wielding base, had accused Obama of doing, and doing those things so blatantly. Do you think they might wake up?

Nope, me neither.

No, but I do think there's a large group in the middle who the republicans have lost as a result of all of this bullshit.  I just hope the democrats aren't equally stupid. 

My brother in law is one of "The base", and we were talking the other night and it devolved into a discussion about planned parenthood.  He was adamant that the only service they provide is abortions because he had seen some video of a girl called planned parenthood centers and asking for pre-natal care.  Of course the planned parenthood centers all said they don't provide pre-natal because it's not something they say they do, and other obvious reasons (they aren't a hospital or birthing center).  My wife (his sister) and his wife both told him they had been to planned parenthood for medical exams for women's health, had gotten birth control Rx from them, and gotten other non-abortion services.  He still wouldn't change his mind.  It was such a crazy moment of seeing firsthand the intractability of the extreme positions. 

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#449 Re: Trump
May 10, 2017, 09:20:25 pm
A "think piece" here suggests that there is every chance that this yet another egregious abuse of power that results in a 2-3 day shit-storm, which all but the most politically aware members of the public rapidly lose interest in (and the House Republicans allow to die, as whilst they might not like Trump, they are sufficient loyal not to throw him under a bus).  Still, be interesting to see if the approval / disapproval ratings diverge any more.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-know-if-the-trump-russia-story-has-momentum/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal