UKBouldering.com

Back up abseil device (Read 2118 times)

dunnyg

• forum hero
Back up abseil device
October 25, 2016, 11:33:45 am
Hi all

If you are abseiling/ascending in a situation where one rope may get cut so you want a backup on another (typical rope access set up maybe?) is a shunt a good device for the second back up line or is there a good reason not to use it. The only possible issue i have thought of is that you wont be able to get off the rope - but I will have ascenders to do this.
I have played with a shunt a few years ago.

Other options are ropeman and gri gri (not going to get the fall arrest thing that they use in industry).

grigri would be a pain to pull through and ropeman has teeth so seems a bad idea.

Any thoughts appreciated

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Back up abseil device
October 25, 2016, 12:10:22 pm
Im sure one of the rope access bods will be along shortly to properly answer your question, but in the mean time...

I think a shunt is probably okay for occasional use, though i dont think they're used in rope access work these days (because it's too easy to release them? might be making that bit up.) I think these bad boys are the tool of choice these days: https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Professional/Mobile-fall-arrest/ASAP Though probably overkill if you already have a shunt and you'll only be using it very occasionally.

danm

• junky
#2 Re: Back up abseil device
October 25, 2016, 01:30:42 pm
I'm sure JB will be able to be more authoritative on this, but a Shunt is OK as a back-up device but has some major limitations. The first is that it will lock if you tow it down with you as you descend, so you either have to continually move it down by stopping your descent to free a hand, or better you use old school rope access technique (this involves a thin piece of cord tied into the cam, which is trapped in the fingers and is intended to release if pulled firmly in the event of an actual fall or main line failure). The advantage of the second method is the shunt is always high above you, which is important, because the shunt will slide at fairly low loads, so if you fall onto it with a slack lanyard you can go a fair way before stopping. Second big limitation is the pressed metal body is weak, if you hit a knot at speed it may well open the device up causing it to release. Hence old school rope access is all about keeping the shunt high and the lanyard tight.

The ASAP linked can pretty much be left to do its own thing, it will lock if the device runs down the rope above a particular speed, so is much easier to use. Ropeman would be an absolute disaster, toothed ascenders destroy ropes when shock loaded.

Really, it depends what you're needing this for - a one-off bit of work for yourself, or a recurrent or paid job? Either of the latter and I'd avoid doing anything without the right kit and some training. Life's to good to do yourself in at work!

petejh

• forum hero
#3 Re: Back up abseil device
October 25, 2016, 01:56:31 pm
Nothing wrong (a lot right) with using two descender devices - grigri or whatever.

The Duck (SafeTec) is a fairly recent stainless-bodied back-up device very similar to the shunt but EN-rated for the purpose (which the shunt never was, hence it's gradual obsolescence in rope access). The Duck is pretty popular in RA.

ASAPs a bit pricey, and if you're using it on a dynamic rope(?) I'm not sure how that affects it's operation in a fall.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#4 Re: Back up abseil device
October 25, 2016, 06:17:31 pm
Hi

Had a look at the ASAP, thats probably what I need -like you say a bit pricey though, the main limit being i cant get one for tomorrow...

Its not a one off thing, but its a few times a year for the next few yeara at most. Having chatted to a mate who is in rope access i have a system that will work for this trip and I think an ASAP is the way forward in the long run, or possibly the duck which i will check out on my return. Will have to play around with a ahunt to try out what you have said.

Will be working on low angle ish terrain most of the time so unloading shunt should be ok.

I will be working on static rope and mostly be approaching from the bottom.

Cheers for the last minute info. Much appreciated!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal