UKBouldering.com

Nalle climbs the Lappnor project (9A)!! (Read 64420 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
They did overdo the dice rolling a bit....

lemony

• player
Really liked that. It's the first slower paced, "thoughtful" bouldering film I can ever really remember enjoying. I thought the gambling metaphor was fairly apt and not too overplayed.

Also, Finnish is a great language to swear in!

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
I enjoyed it and found it inspiring as well, capturing the craziness and obsession. Well worth the euros.

JamieG

• forum hero
I was smiling at the end. As impressed with the determination as the actual climbing.

BID

• addict
  • Formerly fat
I'm sad he changed his beta, the left handed move to the penultimate hold was absolutely ridiculous to watch.

Ged

• junky
Really good little film. The dice thing got a bit boring though. Other than that, well worth £7

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
For someone with a short attention span, this held my attention very well for the duration. Good work!  :thumbsup:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I didn't think it was as good as splinter

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I didn't think it was as good as splinter
Nothing is even remotely as good as Splinter!!!

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
Here it is for free for the next 5 days apparently:
Thanks Jack, just watched it, like everybody else really enjoyed the film. It shows Nalle's tenacity and dedication. It is mind bending how smooth he makes it look when he finally sends the problem. The moves all look pretty next level.
Nalle's film will only be topped by Shark's The Siege blockbuster. I am sure that there are weeks of video footage that could be edited down to make a feature length film of a similar quality.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:54:46 pm by jfdm »

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Cheers Jack!

Fucking hell, that was superb. After years of it being filmed and monitored with various camera crews about, I think it's fitting he succeeds on his lonesome. Bravo!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Amazing! The best 32 minute film about 42 seconds of climbing I've ever seen.

Didn't mind the dice shit. The whole random factors thing resonates pretty heavily with me.

JonB

• regular
Yeah, that was a mint short film. The dice and cards were fine, there wasn't even that much of it. Such a good looking problem, just pure hard climbing.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
8 hand moves from start to finish. So pure.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I was very relieved not to see a mat dab on the final go

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Am i right in thinking that I can't Chromecast this?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
depends on how your dice filter is set up

cofe

• forum hero
Great film.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I loved it too. Happy to see my cynical predictions earlier in the thread were so wide of the mark! I don't think you could make a better film about a single problem.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Cheque's next project: Full feature length documentary about a single deadhang personal best. Won't be too much lugging 200kg of static rope around ;)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I should have filmed my year-long siege of Lurcher Direct at Bell Hagg. It had it all- fickle conditions, trying the same move over and over, yelling frustration, training, questioning the grade and my sanity and the belief that I was finally going to do it on every visit. It also would have needed far less walking, no driving and 99% less static rope.

The ending- another local pointing out a positive sidepull inches away that I'd somehow never noticed and me doing it easily the next go, probably wouldn't have had the same climactic effect as in the Lappnor film though. :slap:

Hamfunk

• regular
Just finished watching it for free and i'd like a refund on the 30 minutes of my life I just wasted!

In summary he got some bad conditions, he changed his beta a couple of times and realised redpointing boulder problems is not the way forward.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
About the dice thing...what we call a 'low percentage' or 'on/off' move the French call 'aléatoire'. 'Aleatorio' also exists in Spanish though I'm not sure if it gets used much in climbing. Alea is latin for die. As in 'Alea iacta est'- 'the die is cast', from crossing the Rubicon. Maybe dice analogies are part of Finnish climbing vocabulary too.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Just finished watching it for free and i'd like a refund on the 30 minutes of my life I just wasted!

Wow - that's an alternative contrarian opinion right there. I don't know how to respond to that except I don't get what you don't get. For me it is an honest, insightful, authentic and compelling film culminating in the World's hardest problem. What's not to like.

Have I just been had?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal