UKBouldering.com

It never ends... the DIY thread! (Read 63211 times)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#300 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 16, 2023, 02:20:29 pm
Have you considered a zinc ridge?
Easy to fit, light and simple?

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#301 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 17, 2023, 10:31:17 am
I haven’t - I wasn’t aware they existed. I’ll have a read up. Thanks!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#302 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 25, 2023, 10:28:05 pm
We have an area of plasterboard (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper) which has, at some point become damp and swollen up. It doesn't seem to be a progressive thing as it's been like that for a few years and doesn't seem to have become worse. We're decorating this room so need to fix the shonky plaster (I've already poked a hole in it).

An inch or two behind the plaster is breeze block exterior wall. Our neighbour (who I don't really trust) has told us that the plasterboard is fixed to this via dot and dab and that we can cut out the area of damaged plaster (A4 sized), squirt expanding foam into the hole, saw off whatever protrudes from the wall, then cover with poly filler.

As I said, I don't really have complete faith in this guy, so wondering if anyone can offer advice on whether this is a good fix. Any suggested expanding foam products or any reasons not to do it like this? It sounds straightforward - is it simple enough to do?

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#303 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 25, 2023, 10:47:02 pm
We have an area of plasterboard (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper) which has, at some point become damp and swollen up. It doesn't seem to be a progressive thing as it's been like that for a few years and doesn't seem to have become worse. We're decorating this room so need to fix the shonky plaster (I've already poked a hole in it).

An inch or two behind the plaster is breeze block exterior wall. Our neighbour (who I don't really trust) has told us that the plasterboard is fixed to this via dot and dab and that we can cut out the area of damaged plaster (A4 sized), squirt expanding foam into the hole, saw off whatever protrudes from the wall, then cover with poly filler.

As I said, I don't really have complete faith in this guy, so wondering if anyone can offer advice on whether this is a good fix. Any suggested expanding foam products or any reasons not to do it like this? It sounds straightforward - is it simple enough to do?

It's one way of filling holes. I did exactly that to fill the joint between the top of my board and the ceiling so I wouldn't keep catching my fingers at the top when throwing for a hold. It's not completely trivial to achieve a good finish with polyfilla, but can be done with a bit of care and a filling knife. Youtube will show you how.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#304 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 26, 2023, 12:48:11 am

Really terrible fix/idea.  Assuming you could somehow cut/saw an area as big that of expanded foam flat ( you can't) slapping some poly filler over it won't really cover and will def be visible (ie. look awful) and crack.
My advice - carefully and neatly cut out the a4 size square. Carefully and neatly cut out a new piece of plasterboard at same size.  use plasterboard adhesive to stick it in the hole and tap carefully until flush on all sides.  tape the joints and then use a sandable filler ie. not plaster (assuming you're a plastering novice) skim and sand until you're happy.  Not using plasterboard tape on the joints makes filling/skimming/sanding much easier to get a good result but the joints might be prone to cracking...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#305 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 26, 2023, 08:06:14 am
Ok, thanks. This seems similar to what you describe but the wooden battens should help keeping it in place while skimming over. Are you saying not to use polyfilla to cover the whole area, just to fill the joins? If I wanted to cover the whole area I'd need to get some sandable filler? Any product recommendations?

https://youtu.be/JmcR9TW4mM0?si=tMo8Hv8YiQtxJYvP

Steve R

• forum abuser
#306 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 01:26:05 am
yeah that's the sort of idea.  You might be able to use slim battens but if the existing is dot dabbed, there might not be sufficiant gap to fit battens in the gap between the back of the plasterboard and the breeze wall....In which case you'd want to glue (dot dab) your new piece in place with this sort of stuff :
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-plasterboard-adhesive-10kg/168RT?tc=CB2&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiIOmBhDjARIsAP6YhSXboBg6AW3Hs1M4Q9zVp_TqiJ9Nt81x65zwN3RRBTXNnFWR-ELuZq8aAuQvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

For a sandable filler this sort of stuff:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-joint-filler-10kg/223rt
(Or polyfiller or whatever if you already have some)

Trouble is, it's a bit crazy to be buying 10kg sacks of the stuff if you're only doing an A4 sized bit plasterboarding!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#307 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 09:26:10 am
Just put a picture over it ;)

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#308 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 09:55:19 am
What Steve said.

In the video, it looks like the wall is just painted plasterboard, so his patch is flush with the original wall and he only needs to fill the joints. Yours will most likely have a 3mm or so layer of plaster on top, so your plasterboard patch will be recessed relative to the surrounding wall. You’ll want to fill this recess, and the joints. I’ve had good results for big patches with gyproc easifill: https://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-easi-fill-quick-dry-two-coat-filler-jointing-compound-5kg-bag/143937_BQ.prd

Whatever filler you use make sure you mix it really really well. Over fill, then sand back to flat.

It will be much quicker and easier to get a good finish if you have a sander. Even a cheapo one will do a much better job than you can by hand. Make sure you wait until the filler is fully dry before sanding (drying times on the packet tend to be optimistic).

It will be horrifically dusty, but the alternative is being skilled enough to do it without needing to sand or paying someone who is to do it. If possible take the dust bag off the sander and bodge your hoover onto it with duck tape.

Edit: Chris’s suggestion is also a good one.

Paul B

• forum hero
#309 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 04:07:38 pm
It's a bit outside the scope of this thread (but not worthy of a new one).

Can anyone recommend a glue for repairing a head unit where the rubbery buttons have started to peel off? I've seen some people mention superglue but was a bit wary of that being quite viscous and setting the actual underlying buttons hard. For now it's just mummified in electrical tape. I tried shoe goo as I had a tube handy but that just balled up and wouldn't adhere to the rubbery material (with zero surface prep admittedly).

(it's one of these: https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-computers/elemnt-bolt-buy)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#310 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 04:29:14 pm
Thanks for the plastering advice, everyone.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#311 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 04:59:36 pm

Can anyone recommend a glue for repairing a head unit where the rubbery buttons have started to peel off? I've seen some people mention superglue but was a bit wary of that being quite viscous and setting the actual underlying buttons hard. For now it's just mummified in electrical tape. I tried shoe goo as I had a tube handy but that just balled up and wouldn't adhere to the rubbery material (with zero surface prep admittedly).

(it's one of these: https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-computers/elemnt-bolt-buy)

Would a wide strip of electrical tape over the whole button work? Hold it in place, but still be flexible? Might not be a permanent solution, but easy enough to replace when needed.

Paul B

• forum hero
#312 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2023, 05:48:54 pm
That's what's there as a temporary measure but others who have had this issue report catastrophic failure of the screen when water gets in. I was hoping to glue it and get a silicone cover to try and extend its life until the newer versions are cheaper (Wahoo have kindly offered a 20% discount voucher when I asked about a repair but that's still £200 and I'm really quite tight).

James Malloch

• forum hero
#313 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 29, 2023, 09:46:19 am
We’re having plans drawn up for an attic conversation and the architect is recommending we re-roof (as there are just exposed slates with no felting etc).

He also recommends upgrading the rafters, which are currently 65mm deep, to fit thicker insulation in. Though we can get more expensive insulation which will work with the existing ones which i would probably prefer given head height is already going to be tight.

I wondered if anyone knows:

1) if we decided to re-roof, how much extra work/cost might we expect to upgrade the existing rafters too? Would you generally basically make a new roof or just screw some on to the existing ones?

2) the builders who came around, who basically just do conversions, said we wouldn't need to re-roof. So it it necessary to have all the felting underneath if converting? I guess it just covers potential leaks?

I think they basically said you could just do that in the future if the roof eventually needs re-doing.

We’re likely to be in the house for another 5 years or so and i don't think we will get it classed as a bedroom due to head height (might just get it but it will be very tight). As such I’m a little reluctant to do everything perfect for building regs if we don't really need it…

tk421a

• addict
#314 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 29, 2023, 11:47:57 am
I haven't had to do any work to my house's roof but have done endless research into insulation for floors walls and new flat roofs, so take following with some caveats.

Are you doing this under permitted development (no planning permission required)?
Building regulations will specify a u-value that you'll need to hit. Current one I think is 0.16 or 0.15 for a roof. Has your architect specified what insulation they are proposing to hit that within the rafters? Normally it's around 150mm of PIR insulation to get in that region.
Building regulations changed in June last year so make sure builder / architect is up to speed on the new u-values.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#315 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
August 01, 2023, 09:22:01 am
I haven't had to do any work to my house's roof but have done endless research into insulation for floors walls and new flat roofs, so take following with some caveats.

Are you doing this under permitted development (no planning permission required)?
Building regulations will specify a u-value that you'll need to hit. Current one I think is 0.16 or 0.15 for a roof. Has your architect specified what insulation they are proposing to hit that within the rafters? Normally it's around 150mm of PIR insulation to get in that region.
Building regulations changed in June last year so make sure builder / architect is up to speed on the new u-values.

We are pretty sure it is just under permitted development (standard velux loft conversion). There is a complication that we are in a conservation area but we are pretty sure this just means we cant have any windows on the front.

Our friend did the same a few years ago and had confirmation it was fine.

Annoyingly, despite the gov/council website saying there should be detailed information on what constitutes permitted development, there’s no such thing. And as our council structure has changed, planning won’t answer anything over email - they just say to submit an application (to answer any hypothetical question). The good thing is that there hasn’t been any applications for velux conversions in our area listed online - but there’s loads of them. So we’re assuming it is still fine.

On the insulation, the architect would prefer to use PIR board (unsure of thickness at the moment - he is just finalising the detailed plans). Though he came up with a solution using foil insulation which would get the minimum PIR value needed.

I’m minded to just upgrade the roof and get it all done to the best standard we can (or at least base our quoted on that) and then worry about cost later! It will all probably make the sale process easier when we come to sell…

Paul B

• forum hero
#316 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
August 01, 2023, 12:40:19 pm
If you're in doubt you can usually go for a certificate of lawful development (the name might be slightly different). A lot of companies I do work for use this approach as a record they're within their PD rights (which are often greater than for a private property e.g. for operational requirements).

SamT

• forum hero
#317 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
August 02, 2023, 09:12:26 am

Ooof.  Where to start.

So firstly, you need to differenciate between 'Planning Permission' and 'Building Control/Regs'

Two separate things. So all the talk of 'permitted development' etc etc falls under planning permission, and is concerned with the outside look/appearence of the finished things, such as ridge height, dormers, roof lights etc.  They don't really care what goes on inside, or the thickness/type of your insulation.. that's building controls concern.

With regards building control, there are a multitude of things as play.
Firstly, you initially talked about not getting it 'classified' as a bedroom.

Well this is a bit of a grey area that's not clearly defined.  You have to decide if its going to be classed as a 'habitable space' (forget bedroom/not bedroom).

'Habitable space' was not that clearly defined when we did ours a few years ago.  From my googling at the time, it depended on a few factors.
A few obvious ones are.. if there are stairs up to it (rather than a loft ladder) - then it'll definitly be classed as habitable in the eyes of building control. will it be plastered out, is there lighting and sockets etc etc.

If it is going to be habitable, then you're definitely going to have to do it to current building regs standards, i.e. head rooms, means of escape (usually this means replacing all your doors that lead onto the stairs/landings with fire doors as they don't allow escape velux's anymore and the route of escape has to be down the main staircase).  And is the central heating getting extended up there.

Moving on to insulation and U values.  If you're going to extend the houses heating system into the loft, then you definitly fall under the building regs for that.  (regardless of the classification of the room) since you are making a previously unheated space, into a heated space, and extending the thermal envelope of the dwelling.
This will be latest Part L building regs.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1133079/Approved_Document_L__Conservation_of_fuel_and_power__Volume_1_Dwellings__2021_edition_incorporating_2023_amendments.pdf

See 4.11-4.13 and 11.2 to 11.4

For the roof you'll need to hit a U value of 0.16

Usual way is to put some PIR between the rafters, what ever will fit and still leave the 50mm gap required up the back.
Then under draw with some PIR backed plasterboard.  (which invariably causes issues with head room etc).

Be wary of multifoils.  I'm not saying they're complete bunkum, but they are certainly not 'space saving' because in order to  actually get any of the claimed U values, you need to have a decent air gap either side, and usually its in conjuction with some PIR between the rafters too.   They are also a complete pain to work with (feed back from builders).  Counter battens one way across rafters, then the foil, which needs nailing, as screws twist it all up, then counter battens the other way.  Its more work than you may imagine and builders time costs money!  PIR backed plasterboard is quick and easy to work with.

You want to aim to get as much PIR between the rafters really, to minimise the thickness of the underdrawn stuff, to give you more head room, hence the suggestion of thickening the rafters to accomodate.

PIR generally has a conductivity of 0.022  (Xtratherm, Unilin, Celotex, Ecotherm, Recticel etc).
Kingspan has a slighly lower (better) conductivity at 0.018, but is suitably more expensive.

To hit a U value of 0.16, with standard (0.022) PIR, then you'd need 120mm between your rafters and 50mm PIR underdrawn (ends up being a 62.5mm board with 50mm PIR and 12.5mm Plasterboard).

Thus your rafters would need to be at least 170 deep, to allow for the 120mm + 50m air gap.

For what its worth, I took a different approach with ours.  Its a hobby room/store room, albeit a very nice one.  Just got a loft ladder permenently bolted to wall up through a hatch.  This will get replaced with a folding loft ladder when we sell and we'll not be able to advertise the loft room. As its not habitable.
Heating system was not extended up into the loft, so just occasionally use an electric heater up there.   There was already a socket up there, so just extended the ring main with a couple more sockets (my understanding is that you can extend an existing circuit yourself, but need a Part P electrician to install an new circuit).   The ceiling is insulated right across the horizontal, like a normal loft. then boarded over the top. So the loft room is not part of the thermal envelope.  However, we had 75mm rafters and I elected to put 50mm PIR between them, with a 25mm air gap. I've justifed this lesser gab to myself on account of there being no felt and the gap behind is extremely well ventilated (you can see sky through a lot of it!! but doesn't seem to leak). Roof/slate will get replaced at some stage in the future I'm sure and we'll address this then.

Anyhow, good luck with it!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#318 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 21, 2023, 08:49:33 pm
I’m putting some shelves up into a plastered brick wall. Shelves are 5kg and will have books on so could be fairly heavy when loaded.

Brackets fasten above the shelf so any torque would be pulling out rather than pushing into the wall. Like this: https://bensimpsonfurniture.com/products/rustic-inverted-lipped-metal-bracket-thin-shelf-22cm-depth?variant=32641156579409&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw06-oBhC6ARIsAGuzdw35sy6a14LxcuYbDfmTWAwb0gEqWy_On9m7NPl1A68C4KEEjbX7bdAaAhdNEALw_wcB

I’ve only got yellow 5x24mm universal Rawl Plugs. Would you recommend something a bit beefier?

It’s going to be above my desk so I’d rather it doesn't rip out!

webbo

• forum hero
#319 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 21, 2023, 09:02:46 pm
I would say bigger diameter and longer.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#320 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 21, 2023, 09:14:17 pm
Any way to work out what would be best? I’ve never really used them before? Or just biggest i can get away with?

ali k

• junky
#321 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 21, 2023, 09:41:41 pm
What diameter screws came with the shelf brackets? Or what size screw fits the holes?

I get completely paranoid about things like this so always err on the side of caution. Nothing worse than worrying they’re gonna fall off. Worth paying more for decent plugs IMO. Plus sods law wherever you drill you’ll hit a crumbly mortar joint instead of into brick. And you want to go deep enough to get through roughly 15mm of plaster before you hit anything solid (possibly more in an old house that might’ve had a few skims). Basically just get biggest screws and appropriately sized plugs you can get away with!

webbo

• forum hero
#322 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 21, 2023, 09:54:29 pm
After our book shelf had pulled off the wall twice. I think I went for about 35mm  x 10 mm and I had to drill the holes out on the brackets to get the screws in. Mind there is a lot of books on the shelves.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#323 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 21, 2023, 10:24:02 pm
What diameter screws came with the shelf brackets?

I just checked the box and there are some big 4mm screws and 8x39mm Rawl plugs with instructions.

Standard me just opening the box, grabbing the thing and just set off trying my own way :spank:

Thanks for the advice and sorry for being an idiot! One day I’ll learn…

ali k

• junky
#324 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 22, 2023, 07:10:51 am
Even though they’re the screws and plugs that came with the brackets it’s still worth thinking whether they’re fit for purpose.
I used similar brackets for our open shelves in the kitchen which have heavy plates and pots/pans etc on them. The screws and plugs that came with them just didn’t ‘feel’ adequate and it would be a disaster if they fell off. So I got really beefy screws and plugs. Think they were 6x60 or 80mm screws and 10mm plugs. Also depends what length shelves and how many brackets on each shelf to distribute weight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal