UKBouldering.com

Peak Trip (Read 11462 times)

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 08:58:33 am
After deciding not to go on our yearly trip to Font due to saving some cash, we've decided to go to the Peak for a week in a couple of weeks camping and climbing. Looking to get out on the grit plenty although I'm aware it's not the best time of year for it.

There's me, my better half and our 2 kids (3 1/2 year old and a 4 month old)

Can anyone recommend a decent campsite close to the grit that suites family and any recommendations on crags to take the little ones? Easy access, don't mind a bit of a walk-in as we'll have a carrier for the youngest.

I've never been to most of these but wondering if they suit:

Curbar
Baslow (Eagle Stone)
Cratcliff
Robin Hoods
Stanage
Burbage North/South
Higgar Tor

Looking for good stuff up to 7A-ish and a bonus if theres some easy stuff for the missus and little stuff for our eldest; he's pretty psyched to do some climbing too!

Cheers

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 09:08:24 am

Barn Farm Campsite in Birchover. Good pub, Rowtor rocks for exploring with the little uns.

www.barnfarmcamping.com

Cratcliffe, Robin hoods perfect for family venues. Stanton Moor too.

Other venues only half an hours drive or less away such as Burbage/curbar etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 09:33:19 am
Second Barn Farm suggestion. Not as busy as Northlees, and you can just about walk to RHS (not with kids though!) so can do an evening session once kids in bed.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 10:59:00 am
I'd also suggest Secret Garden (shady - and nice spot for the kids),

SamT

• forum hero
#4 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 11:16:18 am
My Left Foot (** 6A) is about 2 mins walking from your Tent if your at Barn Farm. Andle Stone, Cork Stone etc all walkable.  Brads arete etc etc etc

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#5 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 11:45:17 am
I'd also suggest Secret Garden (shady - and nice spot for the kids),

Not sure I would in summer, isn't it kinda brackeny and midgy and just as slopey as in winter.  It'd need unseasonably low temps and a very stiff breeze (i.e. a gale).

Scouse D

• forum hero
#6 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 12:40:19 pm
Take care at Rowtor with kids. It is boss fun but there is a precipitous drop with no fence near the fun caves.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 09:41:51 pm
Burbage N and S (boulders) both have stuff suitable for a 3 yr old to climb and you can always go down to the stream to get wet

RHS/Cratcliffe is a top family venue for picnicking and climbing rocks

if midges are an issue, then there is some good kids pottering for a 3 year old to be had on the plateau above Higgar - there is often a breeze up there

there's some OK little kids type stuff at, and on the way to, Owler Tor, which can get a good breeze - and there's usually an icecream van at the car park

there's a lot of good stuff for little kids at the plantation - the uphill walk can be a bit off-putting for them, but it's downhill all the way back to the car - and there is sometimes a Pizza van there

Rubicon (not grit) can be ace with kids in tow

Trackside boulder at Curbar is a nice place to play - with a very short walk in

You could probably drive a buggy to the Eagle Stone - not much for little kids to do apart from run about on awesome open moorland - much of the good stuff there might feel a bit hard in summer connies

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#8 Peak Trip
July 05, 2016, 10:36:26 pm
Another vote for Barn Farm, one of the nicest sites I've stopped at in a while and very child friendly plus pub a short walk and shops in Bakewell a short drive away. Worth booking in advance though as its always been busy when I've gone.

There's also a half decent looking site just outside Hope but I've never stopped as its too close to home so would never be worthwhile. Not quite so accessible for climbing access but still a short drive to Stanage and other crags. And, walking distance to pubs and shops in the village, and the new Grasshopper cafe (used to be the Woodbine).

If you do a trip to Secret Garden it's a nice short walk up to Owler Tor too from there, another really pleasant spot as Lagers said with enough to keep you occupied for an evening for mid grade stuff. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fried

• forum hero
#9 Re: Peak Trip
July 06, 2016, 08:32:39 am
I really like Hardhurst farm campsite on the outskirts of Hope, although I keep meaning to try the one in Birchover due to the good pub(s).

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#10 Re: Peak Trip
July 07, 2016, 08:21:55 pm
Barn farm is great and top location but can be busy as said before. 
You could try a site around Carsington, no experience of any personal and guess these could be busy too but handy for Stanton area, play park, bike, boat hire etc at the lake.
If it gets too hot or midgy on the edges and you fancy something different then much Churnet is good for a walk and a boulder with little ones.  It's 30 mins from Carsington or 40 from Barn Farm.
Some good little kids boulders and slabs at Cratcliffe and Stride as well as some fun slides and tunnels to seek out.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#11 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 10:23:47 am
Cheers for all the beta guys, we're going to be staying at Laneside Caravan Park near Hope heading over on Saturday.

There seems to be plenty of places that have a mix of easy stuff for the little one/missus and some harder stuff for me which is great.

So far on the list is:

Burbage North (Boulders near the top)
Burbage South Boulders
Higgar Tor
Owler Tor (Looks a nice spot, is the walk in alright? Is this walking distance from Mother Cap/Secret Garden?)
Curbar - Trackside
Robin Hood's/Cratcliffe
Stanage Plantation (would like to do some of the classics myself, is there much easy (3-5+) stuff up there?)

That should probably keep us all busy combined with some trips to some non-climbing places.

I'll probably get the odd hour when the kids are in bed to nip out on my own. Any recommendations on some decent 6C-7A stuff not far with minimal walk-in from Hope?

I see the Tor is only 15 minutes away but I'd rather not if I don't have to... :worms: ;D

Cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 10:34:40 am
Burbage North (Boulders near the top)

Presumably 'top' means near the top of the valley as there aren't any boulders on the top of the crag.  The path is very good from the parking by Burbage Bridge so reaching any of the boulders along Burbage North is very easy, although the further you get from the carpark the more uphill you then have to do to get to the boulders, but its never that far.

Owler Tor (Looks a nice spot, is the walk in alright? Is this walking distance from Mother Cap/Secret Garden?)

Over Owler Tor is a bit further than Mother Cap from the car park, whilst Secret Garden is off the track (just see the map at the link).  Its no further than the walk-in to Burbage South boulders, although its slightly steeper uphill walking in comparison (depends if you can get into the parking at the end of Burbage Valley or if you park near the Fox House and go across the moor).  Owler Tor itself is actually the other side of the road to the car park and isn't really worth heading to with bouldering in mind, but would be fun for kids to scramble around.

Stanage Plantation (would like to do some of the classics myself, is there much easy (3-5+) stuff up there?)

Yes, back of Business Boulder in particular.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 10:39:41 am
Hi Luke - I'd go where the shade is...

erm, sam

• forum hero
#14 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 11:24:56 am
Hi Luke - I'd go where the shade midges is are...

Durbs

• forum hero
#15 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 11:30:01 am
Likewise heading t'Peak this weekend with kids in tow (3, all under 2!).

Staying near Calver, but going to avoid Trackside as the novelty of failing to do Strawberries is wearing thin.

If it's going to be this hot, will need somewhere shady too so we don't burn the sproglets - do such places exist?
Generally stuff under 6b as we're all new parents so thoroughly out of practise.

The woods near RHS?

I'd normally head to the edges in summer to catch a breeze, but they're also usually pretty devoid of shade, and a little "cliff-y" for toddlers...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#16 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 11:52:41 am
Some of Robin Hood's would suit, also the stuff round The Egg / Jerry's at Cratcliffe.

There's also a few bits at Froggatt that might work too, off the top of my head the bit under Tody's, which might not have a great deal that's hard is shady, fun, a nice spot for picnic etc.

dave

#17 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 11:58:27 am
Fucking boiling at the minute, south easterly wind today, so if you're not up for frying eggs on the rock I'd be looking at places facing east to avoid the sun and catch whatever wind there is. Obvious choices would be stanage far right/cowperstone, higgar east, newstones, ramshaw, n shit.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#18 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 03:14:07 pm
Aldi have got these in at the moment

https://www.aldi.co.uk/uv-protect-infant-cabana-playshade/p/060753006070400

ace for kids to play in while you boulder when the sun is out (and when it's not)

Durbs

• forum hero
#19 Re: Peak Trip
July 19, 2016, 03:37:49 pm
Got a Coleman Sundome thingy already, plus a pop-up tent/cot thing... which she stays in for all of 30 seconds before wandering off to eat some grass/gravel/ants etc.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#20 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 08:31:32 am
Looks a bit cooler towards the weekend.

Any recommendations on some Lime bouldering near by that is suitable to take kids too, Rubicon? Can you take a pushchair down there? Nice place to chill out as well as climb?

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 08:46:16 am
 Rubicon - yes to pushchair - pretty enough spot. Beware water is right next to path/crag (ie no barrier to stop nippers going in - but equally ducks etc to keep them happy)

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 08:46:56 am
Ps - it's all hard. ;)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#23 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 08:50:37 am
and brittle on the right above the 3 traverses.

Rheinstor is a lovely spot to chill out and climb. Short walk in. Push chair friendly. Though the climbing didn't appeal to me. Nuda's Tartan is walkable from Rheinstor for a quick hit of something harder/better.
Anston Stones ( not in the Peak) is alright with a push chair. A little bit tricky but can and has been done.

T_B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 08:56:18 am
Looks a bit cooler towards the weekend.

Any recommendations on some Lime bouldering near by that is suitable to take kids too, Rubicon? Can you take a pushchair down there? Nice place to chill out as well as climb?

Given your comments about the Tor, I don't suppose you're going to be feeling the love for Rubicon as it's even more polished and the holds are smaller and sharper. Kids quite like it but you're very much in the dust. I'd go to Robin Hood's/Cratcliffe as it's a classic family day out and with the trees you will find some shaded problems (especially if you can snatch an hour to quest about). Logistics wise with little uns, it's a bit of a carry, though I definitely did it with a 6 month old and a two year old. You could combine with Rheinstor if you were v psyched. It's cool and shady in the morning and a flat pushable walk in (few nettles about though).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal