UKBouldering.com

Ring ouzels at White Edge? (Read 2699 times)

slab_happy

• forum hero
Ring ouzels at White Edge?
June 17, 2016, 10:15:54 pm
There seem to be a couple nesting in the Main Area.

N.B. I have minimal bird identification skills, but the male was definitely a darkish bird with a white collar, and it looked pretty much like the ring ouzel I saw at Stanage a few weeks back that I was able to recognize as a ring ouzel because it was sitting a metre away from the "RING OUZELS" sign with a photo on it.

I am but a humble n00b in such matters and have no idea what the protocol here is -- should I be reporting the sighting to someone? Or is it not a big deal if it's not a super-busy area?

Obviously White Edge is kind of esoterica, and the bracken is armpit-high anyway, but there was chalk on holds nearby, so I thought I should mention it somewhere.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#1 Re: Ring ouzels at White Edge?
June 17, 2016, 10:34:31 pm
Welcome to UKB! Sounds like an Ouzel to me, Dippers are also dark with a white collar but unlikely to see one in this area (I think). Probably not necessary to report it as its not a popular venue.

This should probably be in the 'recent wildlife sightings' thread by the way.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ring ouzels at White Edge?
June 18, 2016, 07:30:54 am
I'll pass the sighting on to the Eastern Moors Ouzel man. I had no idea people actually climbed up there.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#3 Re: Ring ouzels at White Edge?
June 18, 2016, 11:55:22 am
I had no idea people actually climbed up there.

As punter esoterica goes I thought it was good fun in a lovely place for the odd route and easy problems. The E1 prow, Bullet Proof, has in-situ projectile remains. The harder "White"  problems all looked good.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ring ouzels at White Edge?
June 18, 2016, 12:25:21 pm
I'll pass the sighting on to the Eastern Moors Ouzel man.

Thanks! I sent in a report at http://www.moorsforthefuture.org.uk/community-science/submit-results/ringouzel-and-redwing, but wasn't sure if that was the right place or whether there were climbing-specific people I should inform.

As punter esoterica goes

Now I'm really regretting not having snagged "punter_esoterica" as a username ...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:44:56 pm by slab_happy »

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Ring ouzels at White Edge?
June 19, 2016, 08:38:19 am
Saw a ring ouzel at Burbage North a couple of weeks ago - somewhere just below Sentinel area-ish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal