UKBouldering.com

September in Europe (Read 3150 times)

reeve

• obsessive maniac
September in Europe
June 18, 2016, 08:36:00 am
Hello everyone. Me and my girlfriend have got four weeks from the 27th of August to the 26th of September. A mate is very kindly lending us his van. So where shall we go?

My current idea is to start at Gorge du Tarn for ten days or so, drive down into Spain via Tres Ponts and Oliana (the latter being a little taster for me, but not spending more than a couple of half days there as I don't think there would be so much for lindy), and ending with 10-14 days in Rodellar.

Specifically, will that likely work for conditions / weather, particularly for Gorge du Tarn? Anyone want to offer an alternative group of destinations?

Thanks

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#1 Re: September in Europe
June 18, 2016, 03:41:43 pm
This looks good - you have enough shade in Tarn to get a lot done. Oliana will be hot - you'll be limited to the few hours of shade in the evening. If you're there for a few days, this won't be too frustrating though.

Enjoy!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2 Re: September in Europe
June 21, 2016, 07:39:04 am

Specifically, will that likely work for conditions / weather, particularly for Gorge du Tarn? Anyone want to offer an alternative group of destinations?

Brilliant, probably perfect in the shade, its really easy to get sun / shade as desired in the tarn.

My opinion on destinations: I'd probably not bother with tres pons, it's ok but not a patch on the tarn which is one of the best places to climb in Europe I think. You have the whole Dourbie and Jonte there too remember. I have a Dourbie guide if you want to borrow it. Not been to Oliana so can't offer an opinion.
Optimum condtions wise maybe better to go to Rodellar first, and then back to Tarn later?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3 Re: September in Europe
June 21, 2016, 09:31:18 am
Hello everyone. Me and my girlfriend have got four weeks from the 27th of August to the 26th of September. A mate is very kindly lending us his van. So where shall we go?

My current idea is to start at Gorge du Tarn for ten days or so, drive down into Spain via Tres Ponts and Oliana (the latter being a little taster for me, but not spending more than a couple of half days there as I don't think there would be so much for lindy), and ending with 10-14 days in Rodellar.

Thanks

Hey Reeve, I think Flo and I will be in Gorge Du Tarn at the beginning of September so would be good to meet up.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: September in Europe
June 22, 2016, 10:20:46 pm
Thanks Toby and cjsheps for the advice. Yeah please tiny would be great to borrow the guide, I'll be in touch.

Guy, great news! What dates you there?

Also, anyone know any better for staying on a can at any of the advice listed places?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#5 Re: September in Europe
August 11, 2016, 10:30:42 pm
Thanks Toby and cjsheps for the advice. Yeah please tiny would be great to borrow the guide, I'll be in touch.

Guy, great news! What dates you there?

Also, anyone know any better for staying on a can at any of the advice listed places?

Just booked flights Reeve so will be there 11th - 18th

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: September in Europe
August 12, 2016, 01:00:08 pm
My opinion on destinations: I'd probably not bother with tres pons, it's ok but not a patch on the tarn which is one of the best places to climb in Europe I think. You have the whole Dourbie and Jonte there too remember. I have a Dourbie guide if you want to borrow it. Not been to Oliana so can't offer an opinion.
Optimum condtions wise maybe better to go to Rodellar first, and then back to Tarn later?

Sorry but I disagree with Toby on this; Trest Ponts is small but it's well worth breaking up the drive.

I found the tarn quite a frustrating place to be onsighting, everything seems to have a bouldery crux which meant lots of falling off high on things. I didn't get to Jonte but wished I had.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#7 Re: September in Europe
August 12, 2016, 01:54:25 pm
Tres Punts is well good. Barrows and I stayed at a nice place there but you'd have to ask him about what it was called?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#8 Re: September in Europe
August 12, 2016, 04:53:41 pm
Tres Punts is well good. Barrows and I stayed at a nice place there but you'd have to ask him about what it was called?

The municipal hostel at Organya?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal