UKBouldering.com

Dear Scarpa.... (Read 33907 times)

skelf

• regular
Dear Scarpa....
May 16, 2016, 09:09:15 pm
Please could you approach Five Ten and ask them nicely if you could use their rubber on your rockboots ?

Many thanks, and wishful thinking.

Skelf

danm

• junky
#1 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 17, 2016, 12:55:03 pm
No need. At my (admittedly shite) level, the Vibram compounds are at least as good. Edge for edging, Grip for erm, grip. Just waiting for Instinct VS's in Grip for my perfect shoe.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 17, 2016, 01:07:18 pm
I used to be a 5:10 person, but find the scarpa rubber as good if not better now (and they fit my feet much better..)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 17, 2016, 01:14:30 pm
Aye, Sportiva use the same rubbers and I've not heard the likes of Ondra etc complaining.  Futuras are the grippiest shoes I have ever worn.  I have just had a pair of Miura VS resoled with XsGrip (instead of the usual XsEdge) and a first trial was very promising - a bit soft but brilliantly sticky on grit.

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 17, 2016, 02:05:00 pm
I bought a pair of Vapours a couple of weeks ago and I reckon that they fit better than 5:10.  The rubber seems as good so far.

skelf

• regular
#5 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 18, 2016, 09:54:36 pm
Yeah i love the fit and build quality of the current Scarpa range but they still don’t feel as sticky on low friction rock. (XSgrip Vs Stealth HF)

Maybe a XS Grip Instinct VS is a more realistic wish.

I like quite soft shoes (Blackwings / Jet7's) but the instinct slipper don’t seem to have that so soft I can smear the shit out of anything feel to them ....

Have i missed something super bendy in the scarpa range ...?

Ho hum still undicided on my next pair....

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 18, 2016, 10:13:35 pm
Furia are soft and the drago are meant to be even softer. Maybe give them a try?

Andy F V2.0

• regular
#7 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 06:34:31 am
The Furias are soft and downturned. Amazingly good on the steep stuff, but they do smear well, better than the Stix, but the edging is compromised, still very good for such a soft shoe. The XS grip feels just as grippy as Stealth HF, and they fit my feet well, unlike Dragons. The heel works brilliantly, very little dead space, unlike 5.10 shoes.

What Scarpa do need to do is make a Stix with a decent heel (they know how to after all) and a velcro strap.  :please:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#8 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 09:24:55 am
I really noticed the difference between the XSEdge and XSGrip2 recently - both indoors and out.

I have been using well broken-in bootsics as my all-round go-to shoe for sport, bouldering and trad for the last couple of years - but this has been mainly on  granite, gneiss and the occasional bit of limestone.

Recently, on a hard(ish, for me) sport route at Dunkeld I had a session using the boostics and not feeling all that solid on some of the less positive footholds (not smears, just...slopey edges and polished bosses etc.). swapped to to my instinct slippers and the difference was obvious.

I'm not thinking of getting my old boostics resoled in XSgrip2 as they still have good shape.

IanP

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 09:54:57 am
I really noticed the difference between the XSEdge and XSGrip2 recently - both indoors and out.

I have been using well broken-in bootsics as my all-round go-to shoe for sport, bouldering and trad for the last couple of years - but this has been mainly on  granite, gneiss and the occasional bit of limestone.

Recently, on a hard(ish, for me) sport route at Dunkeld I had a session using the boostics and not feeling all that solid on some of the less positive footholds (not smears, just...slopey edges and polished bosses etc.). swapped to to my instinct slippers and the difference was obvious.

I'm not thinking of getting my old boostics resoled in XSgrip2 as they still have good shape.

Over the last few months I've been using the womens Miura VSs, bought for fit (and price!) which use Grip2.  Very impressed and definitely feel more secure on marginal footholds than my previous Miuras (XSEdge) and Tenaya Ras (XSGrip).  No sure how much is boot and how much rubber but at the moment very tempted to stay with Grip2 in preference to Edge.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 10:51:02 am
The Furias are soft and downturned. Amazingly good on the steep stuff, but they do smear well, better than the Stix, but the edging is compromised, still very good for such a soft shoe. The XS grip feels just as grippy as Stealth HF, and they fit my feet well, unlike Dragons. The heel works brilliantly, very little dead space, unlike 5.10 shoes.

What Scarpa do need to do is make a Stix with a decent heel (they know how to after all) and a velcro strap.  :please:
Scarpa always have incredibly irritating little problems with their shoes, the lace up instincts were my favourite shoe but the flap of rubber over the toes was worse than useless and would rip off the first time you toe hooked in anger and the heel rubber would also do the same with deep heel hooks.
They remedied this with the vs but they are too soft for routes in my opinion.
I don't find any difference between the grip and edge rubber. 

T_B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 11:11:59 am
The new Instinct Lace Up arrived in the UK yesterday apparently. Same heel as the VS, will be interesting to see how stiff it is.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 11:46:52 am

Really!? They're like planks. Felt as stiff as 5.10 blanco's to me, though admittedly it's been a few years since I've worn blanco's.
Everyone else I've spoken to (haven't read all this thread) seems to say they're too stiff if anything, hence some resoles with grip.

T_B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 12:03:15 pm

Really!? They're like planks. Felt as stiff as 5.10 blanco's to me, though admittedly it's been a few years since I've worn blanco's.
Everyone else I've spoken to (haven't read all this thread) seems to say they're too stiff if anything, hence some resoles with grip.

I'm with Ben on this, have always found the VS stiffer than the original Instinct Lace, though I realise that's not the consensus. My VS re-soled in Grip2 feel about the same as the Instinct Lace.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 12:49:36 pm

I'm with Ben on this, have always found the VS stiffer than the original Instinct Lace, though I realise that's not the consensus. My VS re-soled in Grip2 feel about the same as the Instinct Lace.

weird, I think they are definitely not a smearing shoe but I think they are fine on grit; if there were a pair of vibram clogs on the market I would go for them however. 
I don't think the comparison with blancos is a good one, the shape is completely different but I own a pair of both and blancos are miles stiffer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 01:57:45 pm
I use the instinct slipper for more smeary things and the VS (which is fairly stiff I think) for things needing more of an edge or a better heel. If I need an ultimate heel - then I go to an old pair of dragons :)

skelf

• regular
#16 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 03:45:46 pm
Furia are soft and the drago are meant to be even softer. Maybe give them a try?

Jesus have i been asleep for the last year or so .....?

Furia - They look like the dogs bollocks, just the kind of softness I’m looking for, will need to find a pair in the shops and get them tried on ASAP.
The Dragos look like a step too far though, only in the UK in limited quantities which will mean if you really like them getting a spare pair might be a pain!

Andy F V2.0

• regular
#17 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 19, 2016, 05:41:10 pm
I've tried the drago's. Too soft for me, and I'm quite partial to a soft shoe. I found getting them the correct tightness meant the rand became very bulgy, limiting the already limited edging ability.

abarro81

• forum hero
#18 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 03:45:43 am
Tim - the new instinct lace is the best toe hooking shoe I've used so think you'll like that part of them. Softer than the old ones though, feel more like a cross between the old ones and a booster s. Not sure how theyll perform on vert, im mainly using booster s for that kind of thing, but I like them on the steep stuff..

JackAus

• junky
#19 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 05:14:55 am

Jesus have i been asleep for the last year or so .....?

Furia - They look like the dogs bollocks, just the kind of softness I’m looking for, will need to find a pair in the shops and get them tried on ASAP.
The Dragos look like a step too far though, only in the UK in limited quantities which will mean if you really like them getting a spare pair might be a pain!

For the Furias, keep in mind that they are alot narrower than the Instinct S/VS. I wear the Instincts in 42 with a nice tight fit and the Furias in the same size are nearly 10mm narrower at the widest point.
I haven't been able to wear them on rock yet because they are so narrow....

To me they seem like Scarpa have tried to make the Team vxi... Same narrowness issue there too for me.

skelf

• regular
#20 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 09:05:58 am
Baws!, that’s what I like about the instincts. Its like someone has drawn round my (wide) feet and then gone off and made a rockboot that actually matches the shape of my feet.  ho hum, def need to try then on then..

36chambers

• forum hero
#21 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 10:19:30 am
Dear Scarpa,

Yours truly,

Blee Dingtoes

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#22 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 10:22:04 am
Dear Scarpa,

Yours truly,

Blee Dingtoes

:lol: must be all those roof toe hooks

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 12:30:28 pm
Tim - the new instinct lace is the best toe hooking shoe I've used so think you'll like that part of them. Softer than the old ones though, feel more like a cross between the old ones and a booster s. Not sure how theyll perform on vert, im mainly using booster s for that kind of thing, but I like them on the steep stuff..

So scarpa have managed to take what was an almost perfect vert and overhanging rock shoe and fix one problem (the toe rubber) and introduce another one (making them too soft for edging, the instinct vs was too soft for edging routes in my opinion).

T_B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Dear Scarpa....
May 20, 2016, 01:11:18 pm
The heel is now one piece on the new Instinct Lace, same as the VS. Which it wasn't before.

Are you a rep for Moon/Scarpa Tim?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal