UKBouldering.com

Zillertal advice (Read 3315 times)

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
Zillertal advice
May 09, 2016, 06:27:15 pm
Hi just wondered if anyone had any insights into camping in Zillertal. I will be there with the misses and 2 young children in August, we are hooking up with another family but are not looking to get a second mortgage to cover the costs of camping.

Is it best to camp in the valley or are there other places further away that still remain in range for day trips?

I did read that there is a free campsite somewhere but not looking for anything too skanky dud to having small children with us.

Any advice greatly appreciated as never been there before

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#1 Re: Zillertal advice
May 09, 2016, 08:51:20 pm
When I went we kipped in a van in the car park for Ewige Jagdgrunde (brilliant crag) so can't help re camping but IIRC the road in and out of the valley is pretty good and also quiet so it shouldn't be too hard too get around if you are slightly further away. The climbing in Zillertal is first rate but I found it pretty soulless when it comes to the villages, bars etc. Think ski resort with no snow or skiers. We didn't explore much out of the valley though so I'm sure there are great places within driving distance.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: Zillertal advice
May 09, 2016, 09:45:21 pm
On the subject of which, any pro-tips for pleasant and clean inside accommodation e.g. apartment or cheap hotel or similar?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#3 Re: Zillertal advice
May 09, 2016, 09:57:19 pm
 We spent three weeks sleeping in a car park under monkey island, but I think there was a free camp site a bit higher/further out of mayrhofen, at Ginzling? basically a field with a river.

just searched for it but couldnt find it.

think it was a couple of k further out than ewige jagrunde

James Malloch

• forum hero
#4 Re: Zillertal advice
May 10, 2016, 12:40:38 pm
The free campsite is a bit basic. It's essentially a 50m long layby next to the river just up the road from Ginzling. It's separate from the road via a 5 foot verge and a barrier.

It's got 2 toilet cubicles which are festival type, poo into a pit jobbies. The toilet waste gets collected every few weeks.

It's a pretty decent facility if you're looking to doss for cheap and it's the only place you are allowed to wild camp/doss in the area. Some people had kids there and it's quite a nice atmosphere - just very basic. We went to Mayerhofen the odd night to stay at the caravan park to get a shower. This was pretty expensive though if I remember correctly.

The layby is the green strip just below the road (right of the dam) if I remember correctly: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Schlegeis+Alpenstra%C3%9Fe+-+VERBUND+Tourismus+GmbH/@47.0758017,11.7592428,269m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0000000000000000:0xe36f6c576e14b5cf!8m2!3d47.075645!4d11.7589331

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: Zillertal advice
May 10, 2016, 12:44:28 pm
Regarding actually camping there - some people had tents but most were in vans. It's hard ground so I'd make sure you're set up for that if you went. Some people left tents up at the far end near the toilets but we just parked up each night. It got pretty full too so you had to be there before it was too late in order to get a spot.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#6 Re: Zillertal advice
July 21, 2016, 10:03:26 pm
Will be heading to Zillertal at the start of my trip this summer. Does anybody have any beta about slightly nicer camping than the lay by? Preferably still well in to the valley and with showers etc...

Also if anyone is there at the start of September give me a shout as I may be partnerless for a few days.

On a related note does anyone know about pad hire as I might end up bouldering if I cant find anyone to climb with!

Cheers

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Zillertal advice
July 22, 2016, 02:09:21 pm
Are you after free camping, or a campsite?

I'll check the guide when I get back home tonight to see if there is anything listed more into the valley. I don't remember anything closer to the lay by area than those in Mayerhofen.

The tourist information in Ginzling was really useful -  might be worth dropping them an email / call? http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/floitenlift-ginzling/tourist-info/

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Zillertal advice
July 22, 2016, 09:23:08 pm
I've said it elsewhere but it's worth repeating; don't follow a local through the Ginzling tunnel when it isn't your turn (even if 15mins seems like a long time to wait), it's simply not worth it!

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Zillertal advice
July 22, 2016, 10:32:13 pm
I've said it elsewhere but it's worth repeating; don't follow a local through the Ginzling tunnel when it isn't your turn (even if 15mins seems like a long time to wait), it's simply not worth it!
The drive round also isn't much longer than the wait

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal