UKBouldering.com

Climbing in Birmingham (Read 3709 times)

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
Climbing in Birmingham
May 06, 2016, 11:35:24 am
I am starting a new job in September and it is most likely that I will be working half the week in Manchester and half in Birmingham.

Don't really know Birmingham that well so was just wondering which is the best wall for bouldering/training? I thought I saw a new really good wall being built there this year, but I might be imagining that?

Cheers for any advice :)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Climbing in Birmingham
May 06, 2016, 11:43:41 am
Where in Birmingham will you be based?
There's two good walls in town, Redpoint which has bouldering and routes and Birmingham boulder centre which, as it's name suggests is just bouldering.
Redpoint website www.redpointclimbingcentre.co.uk/
Birmingham boulder centre website www.birminghamboulderingcentre.com/
If you're further north in Birmingham then I'd reccomend Boulder central which I where I climb when I'm in Birmingham. website www.bouldercentral.co.uk/
For training they have a steep woody with symmetrical beastmaker holds as well as a set of moon holds on there too. In addition to this they have a great selection of hard problems set by Jonny Argue, as well as the usual campus rungs beastmakers etc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:02:19 pm by Dexter »

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Climbing in Birmingham
May 06, 2016, 11:47:07 am
Boulder central in West Brom is probably the best bouldering wall in the area. Beastmaker motherboard, campus boards, BM fingerboards and some quality general bouldering.

In the city centre Creation and Redpoint are pretty decent but I haven't been to either in ages so don't know what their current set-ups are like.
Heard decent things about Birmingham bouldering centre but never been so can't really comment. Get the feeling it's a pretty small set-up though.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Climbing in Birmingham
May 06, 2016, 12:03:43 pm
I agree if you can get to Boulder central then it's the place to go.

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
#4 Re: Climbing in Birmingham
May 06, 2016, 12:06:13 pm
Where in Birmingham will you be based?
There's two good walls in town, Redpoint which has bouldering and routes and Birmingham boulder centre which, as it's name suggests is just bouldering.
Redpoint website www.redpointclimbingcentre.co.uk/
Birmingham boulder centre website www.birminghamboulderingcentre.com/
If you're further north in Birmingham then I'd reccomend Boulder central which I where I climb when I'm in Birmingham. website www.bouldercentral.co.uk/
For training they have a steep woody with symmetrical beastmaker holds as well as a set of moon holds on there too. In addition to this they have a great selection of hard problems set by Jonny Argue, as well as the usual campus rungs beastmakers etc.

Cheers for all the info. I am going to be based near Birmingham airport so kind of South-East. Cool, yeh Boulder Central is tempting despite longer drive :)

Boulder central in West Brom is probably the best bouldering wall in the area. Beastmaker motherboard, campus boards, BM fingerboards and some quality general bouldering.

In the city centre Creation and Redpoint are pretty decent but I haven't been to either in ages so don't know what their current set-ups are like.
Heard decent things about Birmingham bouldering centre but never been so can't really comment. Get the feeling it's a pretty small set-up though.

Thanks yeh Boulder Central sounds really good, will have to check it out!

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#5 Re: Climbing in Birmingham
May 06, 2016, 12:37:13 pm
My opinion of walls in Birmingham:

Boulder Central - haven't been much but seems the best
Redpoint - Short walls so bouldering involves lots of powerful sit-starts but good climbing
BBC - Nice wall, though I found problem sets are quite technical - not my preferred style
Creation - Higher walls, large space. Infrequent sets and holds always greasy due to the cleaning method used I think

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal