UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club week 321 11th - 17th April 2016 (Read 25497 times)

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
M: Rest

T: Fingerboard - Max hangs on 20mm edge, had to take off weight for the progressive set:

Rep 1: 10 sec (-5kg), Rep 2: 10 sec (-2.5kg), Rep 3: 10 Sec (-1.5kg)

Main Set: 3 x 10 sec (Unweighted)

14mm edge: 3 x 10 secs (-8kg)

W: Rest

T: Rest

F: Plas Power Wall with my son again. He did even better than last time! Got to the top of the slab a lot and was using his feet better.

3 x 5 min on 5 min off Aerocap.

Repeated 6C+ and 7A on 45' board and then did my project in a handful of goes. Took me about 4 sessions. First problem I've done using screw-ons for feet.

Here's a vid of us both:

S: Plas Power - Back at the wall again as missus wanted to see our friends who work there.

Little one did well again on the wall and seems to be getting better each time and is really enjoying it!

3 x 5 min on 5 min off Aerocap

Worked moves on new project on the 45' using screw-on's. Came close but didn't want to trash myself for tomorrow...

S: Bouldering in the Ogwen Valley.

Warmed up on a few things up to 6A+ then did:

Ogwen Jazz - 6C
Skunk X - 7A
Ding Dong's Wall - 6B
Monkey Do - 7A!

Couldn't do the dyno at Caseg Ffraith "Oh Yeah" (6C) but can do all the moves on Boneyard (7B) into it. Fell off the last move of the reverse "Yardbone" (7A+) 3 times.

Here's a vid of me and my mate Sam:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Can't remember when I last posted;

Anyway;

M - weights
T - wall session, felt OK, couple of good ticks.
W - nothing, walk to work from van and back, fly to london
T - nothing much, remembrance service, drink and eat too much
F - nothing much, funeral, eat too much.
S - pack for holiday
S - for holiday

M - East Links Farm - weather ming, run about with kids, then do traverse of the climbing barn while kids play "cat and mouse" in hay bales. Get numb fingers and hot aches it's so cold. Set up rock rungs and have a reasonable session including some core in evening
T - Nothing in morning. walk in afternoon. Short Session at AR2 in evening. climb OK, but take a while figuring things out. All a bit old school, but a good spot.
W - lots of walking round Scottish museum. Weights in evening. Beer.
T - nothing, beer.
F - nothing - beer. Light rock rung session.
S - short walk, beer.
S - drive home.

Ate too much, drank too much, need to get back on wagon.

W -   

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
well done everyone

did nothing all week, left shoulder hurts a bit but nothing serious. hope to get out climbing in the next week. Its feast or famine here...

petejh

• forum hero
Effort Muenchener!

STG: first 8b+ (Mecca), by mid June
MTG: undecided
LTG: 8c, by June 2018

Bouldering phase.

M. Tired from weekend, crick in neck/shoulder from belay/guide duties
T. Tired. Went to cave , got pads out, sat on pads yawning, packed pads away and went home.
W. Tired. Tremerchion, got pads out, sat on pads yawning, watched nike air do Enter the Dragon, packed pads away, went home. (got beta for heel move on 36 Chambers, useful).
T. Tremerchion, finally not tired. Good progress on 36 Chambers getting to heel in, tickling RH move above.
F. Massage on neck/shoulder crick. Ferry to Dublin to meet girlfriend and drive to Glendalough.
S. Glendalough bouldering with girlfriend and daughter. Amazing!!! Glendo's the best bouldering venue I think I've ever been to. Spent morning playing on 4 and 5 slabs with GF and daughter. They left at midday to watch a play in Dublin. Spent a blissful afternoon circuiting around some classic 5s and 6s. 1 hour walk out to meet GF/daughter at pub in evening. Meal, beer and cards. Perfect day!
S. Glendalough routes. Multi-pitching with girlfriend and daughter. Proper workout just keeping them safe, did Expectancy - hard to get to with a 10-year old, harder than the route! Then did 1st pith of Prelude-Nightmare, brilliant climbing, both loved it. Long day, just made 8.40 ferry back to Wales.

Pitiful training week for Mecca, two in a row. Great times in Glendolough!

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Advice please  :)

So the wrist doc came back with: "we don't know what's wrong with your wrist so either you keep climbing or we do surgery to figure it out"! My knee is still a few weeks off being better so I thought I'd start doing some fingerboarding. I've never really fingerboarded before so after some advice.

I have the Beastmaker app so was just going to try the easiest (5A) exercises and then go from there, is this a sensible idea or are there any better suggestions?

Also, how would you suggest warming up, given I can't go and climb easy routes at the wall with a busted knee?

Hugh

• regular
Good post Dave, pretty much agree with all of it. Certainly helped in my case being really shit before having a child, so progression to a bit less shit wasn't hard. Still, the time constraints have made me more motivated and interested in actual training as opposed to pootling about. Get out way more too, just can't do the spur-of-the-moment stuff.

Anyway, the week:

STG: 7B.
MTG: Don't get broken. Get strong for Santa Gadea in June.

Mon: Poor previous week so reduced reps slightly in hope of more consistent performance across sets.
FB (7/8s +10kg 18mm x 4) x 3. Success rep 1, Fail hang 4 reps 2, 3. FB (7/8s +18kg sloper x 4) x 1. Success rep 1.
Brief 4x4s session.
Tue: Rings, 5x4 dips, 6x4 inv rows, 8x4 flyes
Wed: Roof power bouldering at TCA, flashed a couple of 6cs. Woody gone :(
Thu: FB (7/8s +10kg x 4) x 3. Fail rep 3 of 1 (poor taping), success 2, rep 3 of 3. Sloper (7/8s +18kg x 4) x 1.
Fri: Light boulder at TCA. Rings: 4x8 flyes, 4x5 dips, 4x5 inv rows.
Sat: Run 4.5km
Sun: FB (7/8s +10kg x 4) x 3. Success on all reps. Minor YYFY! Sloper (7/8s +18kg x 4) x 1.

webbo

• forum hero

So the wrist doc came back with: "we don't know what's wrong with your wrist so either you keep climbing or we do surgery to figure it out"! My knee is still a few weeks off being better so I thought I'd start doing some fingerboarding. I've never really fingerboarded before so after some advice.

I have the Beastmaker app so was just going to try the easiest (5A) exercises and then go from there, is this a sensible idea or are there any better suggestions?

Also, how would you suggest warming up, given I can't go and climb easy routes at the wall with a busted knee?
I've been in the same boat, ruptured Achilles. I usually do abs to get going, crunches,body lowers, lying cycling and lying leg raises then do some upper body weights and the do finger boarding.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Get strong for Santa Gadea in June.

Place I've always liked the look of, so be interested in some feedback, especially if its a "with family" trip.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube

I've been in the same boat, ruptured Achilles. I usually do abs to get going, crunches,body lowers, lying cycling and lying leg raises then do some upper body weights and the do finger boarding.
Cheers, hope the Achilles gets better soon!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Nothing easy about the Beastmaker "5A"  :lol: routine. Good luck.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D

On the wrist business, I haven't read back through all your posts to find out exactly what is going on, however I'm assuming that from your most recent consultation that the MRI was clear and that your waist doc is an orthopaedic surgeon? I'd need a damn good reason to let anyone operate on my wrist. No guarantee surgery will establish what is wrong or make it better. I'd venture that it's more likely to make things worse, especially (and obviously) if no diagnoses is found.

I think in general terms that a wrist that is bad enough to need an op shouldn't be climbed on, and a wrist good enough  to climb on shouldn't be operated on.

However it is impossible for any internet climber to give you decent advice on what to do without a bit more detail, and even then I'd take it with a massive pinch of salt at best, if it's anything other than don't climb on it (which it seems to have been so far). If you are going to climb on it then that has to be your decision and you might make it worse. It all depends on what actually happens when you climb, severity and timing of onset of pain etc.

Anyway I don't know if that is useful, may be able to give better advice with more info!

P.S. I think getting on a beastmaker with a wrist injury if you've never been on one before is a terrible idea.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube

On the wrist business, I haven't read back through all your posts to find out exactly what is going on, however I'm assuming that from your most recent consultation that the MRI was clear and that your waist doc is an orthopaedic surgeon? I'd need a damn good reason to let anyone operate on my wrist. No guarantee surgery will establish what is wrong or make it better. I'd venture that it's more likely to make things worse, especially (and obviously) if no diagnoses is found.

I think in general terms that a wrist that is bad enough to need an op shouldn't be climbed on, and a wrist good enough  to climb on shouldn't be operated on.

However it is impossible for any internet climber to give you decent advice on what to do without a bit more detail, and even then I'd take it with a massive pinch of salt at best, if it's anything other than don't climb on it (which it seems to have been so far). If you are going to climb on it then that has to be your decision and you might make it worse. It all depends on what actually happens when you climb, severity and timing of onset of pain etc.

Anyway I don't know if that is useful, may be able to give better advice with more info!

P.S. I think getting on a beastmaker with a wrist injury if you've never been on one before is a terrible idea.
Yeah the MRI showed all areas relating to the pain I've been having as being fine, wrist doc is an orthopaedic surgeon. The pain isn't all that bad, I just have downtime from climbing with a damaged knee so I thought I'd use the time to get my wrist looked at. It "popped" last July and bouts of physio, steroid injection etc. have improved but not removed all pain. I can climb on it fine without pain most of the time, the only restrictions are discomfort doing press-ups and while warming up etc. I climbed from January to March without worsening it, but also without it getting fully pain-free. I agree with you about the surgery, definitely staying away from that unless things get bad

The advice I was requesting was more about the specific fingerboard routine people would suggest. I've heard the Beastmaker "grades" are sand-bags so was just wondering if there were any other suggestions. Cheers for your thoughts

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26492.0.html
Also, just found this so apologies for asking repeat (ish) questions

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D

Yeah the MRI showed all areas relating to the pain I've been having as being fine, wrist doc is an orthopaedic surgeon. The pain isn't all that bad, I just have downtime from climbing with a damaged knee so I thought I'd use the time to get my wrist looked at. It "popped" last July and bouts of physio, steroid injection etc. have improved but not removed all pain. I can climb on it fine without pain most of the time, the only restrictions are discomfort doing press-ups and while warming up etc. I climbed from January to March without worsening it, but also without it getting fully pain-free. I agree with you about the surgery, definitely staying away from that unless things get bad

The advice I was requesting was more about the specific fingerboard routine people would suggest. I've heard the Beastmaker "grades" are sand-bags so was just wondering if there were any other suggestions. Cheers for your thoughts

I had something similar with my wrist but with no specific 'pop'. I do press ups using a set of dumbbells now so no unnatural bending of the wrist. Pain comes back if I don't. Think a focus on core and conditioning sounds like a great idea. If you are getting on a beastmaker in a non supplementary fashion, i.e. the only thing you are doing, and with a bad wrist, be really careful as its a good way to get more injured. Not sure about the specifics of the app.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube

I had something similar with my wrist but with no specific 'pop'. I do press ups using a set of dumbbells now so no unnatural bending of the wrist. Pain comes back if I don't. Think a focus on core and conditioning sounds like a great idea. If you are getting on a beastmaker in a non supplementary fashion, i.e. the only thing you are doing, and with a bad wrist, be really careful as its a good way to get more injured. Not sure about the specifics of the app.
Yeah I'll tread carefully and make sure I'm warm, if not I'm sure you'll all hear about it next week  :-[ Press-ups with dumbbells sounds like a good idea

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal