UKBouldering.com

Fingerboarding for first timers - Effective and simple advice with workouts to get you started.... (Read 10563 times)

comPiler

• forum hero
Fingerboarding for first timers - Effective and simple advice with workouts to get you started....
24 February 2016, 3:08 am

With the huge amount of training information out there for fingerboarding... hang times vs rest, set numbers, cycles, half crimp, full crimp, max hangs etc etc..   It is easy to be overwhelmed and not really know the best approach to get started.

Here are some basic 'rules', a simple target and a tried and tested routine that will work for climbers at any level. A quick start into the world of finger strength training and a basis to work from to develop and tweak your fingerboard training..

The routine is essentially based on a long time served weight lifters strength program, aimed at new lifters but also a go to routine for experienced lifters wanting to continue good base level strength.

5 on 5 Strength Training

The principles when 'tweaked' transfers very well to fingerboard strength training.

This is a routine I have used for years, every year at the start of a winter training season..

Open Handed hangs on the Crusher Matrix

The Rules

1. Warm Up - 10 minutes

- 5 Second Hang (both hands all fingers in Open Handed position) with 10 Seconds Rest between Hangs for a duration of 3 minutes. Performed on holds you can easily hold.

- 1 Pull Up (flat hold or jug) with 10 Seconds Rest between for a duration of 2 minutes. Use a foot stool for assistance if you require.

- 5 Second Hang (both hands all fingers in Half Crimp postion) with 10 Seconds Rest between Hangs for a duration of 3 minutes. Performed on an edge you can easily hold.

- 1 Pull Up (flat hold or jug) with 10 Seconds Rest between for a duration of 2 minutes. Use a foot stool for assistance if you require.

2. Hangs Must be performed with shoulders and elbows engaged, no slouching straight armed and hanging on the joints - feels as if you are about to pull into a pull up.

Half Crimp hang on the Crusher Matrix

The Targets4 Finger Open handed Hangs (see top picture)

3 Finger Half Crimped Hangs (above picture)

why?....   they are the most commonly used, they are the most stable positions, they translates well into other hangs that you are going to save for training in the future! ... see two finger pockets and monos training blog coming soon...

The Routine (protocol) - 5 on 5 TrainingTotal Duration - 6 weeks Week Duration - 2 times a week

Hang Duration - 5 secondsHang Repitions - 5 timesRest between Hangs - 5 secondsNumber of Sets - 5 timesRest between Sets - 5 minutes

Total - 18 minutes 45 seconds

Perform the 4 Finger Open Handed hangs for the first fingerboard session in the week, then the 3 Finger Half Crimp for the second session in the week.

The hangs should be performed on a full first digit edge, that is an edge that approximately 20-25mm deep.. the outside bottom edge on the Crusher Matrix for example.

The Appropriate Loading - 80 to 90% of your single repetition maximum.

That is the maximum weight of yourself plus or minus extra weight for you to perform a hang on the edge in use for 4 seconds before failing.It is very important to get this correct, it is the ideal level of stimulus for the muscle to develop pure strength gains.

You will need to work this out for both 4 finger and 3 finger hangs.

So before you start the routine... use a rucksack or weight belt and (in most cases) add weight until you find you are failing at 4 seconds. Add your body weight & this extra amount together and multiply by 0.8. This is your appropriate loading.

e.g. Jimbob weighs 80kg, he adds 40kgs to his rucksack to achieve a 4 second hang.  

80 + 40 = 120kg x 0.8 = 96kgs 96 - 80 = 16kgs total extra

Summary

This will get you started and you should see gains after a 6 week cycle of this. If you go into a second 6 week cycle try doing both 4 and 3 finger exercises in the same session thus doubling the work load.

The alternative would be to incorporate a Max hang session or three into the 6 week cycle, plus moving onto training a different more 'stressful' hang... this I will cover in another blog..

Incorporating these into a normal climbing week by doing them after a rest day or before you have a climbing session.

Tiptabatatimer.com is a very useful tool for fingerboard session timing....

Source: Crusher Holds Fingerboards Climbing Blog

dave

3 Finger Half Crimped Hangs (above picture)

why?....   they are the most commonly used,

Really?

they are the most stable positions,

Really?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Choice of grips aside I like the look of this routine and think Ill give it a go as much as anything to wean myself off the low volume max weighted hangs routine that has yielded diminishing returns lately

BicepsMou

• regular
I did something roughly similar over the last 3 weeks with good gains so far (not too surprising after all, if you  change to a new stimulus).

3-5 sets * 5 reps a 5 seconds, but 30'' rest btw reps, 5' rest btw sets

I added a set each week, so 3 sets in week 1 up to 5 sets now in week 3 in order to keep making things harder (progressive overload). 2 sessions per week.

Went for a the slightly longer rest btw reps in order to keep fatigue down and be able to keep the intensity as near-max as possible, which is at 85% of max total weight for me.

BicepsMou

• regular
...low volume max weighted hangs routine that has yielded diminishing returns lately

Did you follow something similar to what ELopez recommends?
Would you mind sharing for how long you did that and after what period the returns began to get less satisfying for you?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
...low volume max weighted hangs routine that has yielded diminishing returns lately

Did you follow something similar to what ELopez recommends?
Would you mind sharing for how long you did that and after what period the returns began to get less satisfying for you?

I'm not a great records keeper and kept changing edge sizes and grips but I felt I got great gains for year or two doing weighted max hangs but the last 9 months haven't been so good. Ended up taking longer and longer rests to get a good hang score. Maybe I'm consolidating. Going back to problems after a a years absence the finger strength gains are encouraging. But the gains may also be coming from bouldering too. Think throwing volume into the mix might be good for the system rather than chasing max hang PBs which is what I ended up doing. Some volume should also be useful now the roues are starting to dry out !

BicepsMou

• regular
Thanks Shark!
Getting good gains from this protocol for over a year is a very strong proof of concept.  I would have expected a decline in efficiency much sooner, but it's probably because you changed grips and edge sizes and thus regularly adapted the stimulus that it continued to work well for you.

In assessing the efficiency of my own finger training, I mostly run into the problem of understanding how other stimuli (e.g. intense  climbing sessions) interfere with finger boarding. Intense sessions will sabotage isolated finger training effects, hindering recovery and supercompensation, especially if one gets well past 40 and recovery capacity gets THE major issue.

Some would go as far as suggesting to sacrifice climbing sessions during intense training periods (I may be wrong but kind of remember reading something along these lines from the Anderson brothers), but here my priorities are clear towards the real thing...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal