UKBouldering.com

Plantar Fasciitis (Read 6367 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 02:07:28 pm
Not strictly a climbing related injury, though it's pretty common so though I'd ask anyway.

What I initially thought was a bruised heel I picked up at St Bees is now more likely to be Plantar Fasciitis which is inflammation or damage to the plantar fascia, the tendon like tissue that runs along the bottom of your foot.

Why not a bruised heel? Coz firstly I don't remember taking any impact, it's not got any better at all (worse in fact) in six weeks of being extremely careful with my heel, and that walking on my toes is just making it worse.

Anyway, I've been icing, applying ibuprofen cream and today have taped my foot up following the advice on heelspurs.com (cheers for the link Dylan) but this is a bitch to get rid of.

Just wondering if anyone has had this before, and any advice / tips as to how you got rid of it. Did climbing make it worse? Theoretically it could do, because you can press a lot of weight through your feet. Better to stick to steep stuff I guess  :?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 06:02:31 pm
Looks like a lot of campus and foot-off work for recovery :injured:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 07:14:41 pm
the heavy taping seems to do the trick - was walking about to day for the first time in six weeks with no pain  :D

dave

#3 Re: Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 07:30:48 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
and that walking on my toes is just making it worse.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 07:57:25 pm
I've perfected swinging my hips at the same time  :lol:

JR

• forum abuser
#5 Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 08:07:24 pm
its a really common running injury...

try runnersworld.com or something similar...

Simon S

• menacing presence
#6 Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 09:42:53 pm
Have you tried stretching your calfs? I've had problems with the bottoms of my feet before (not sure of the exact name) and this has made quite a difference. May be best to check that it won't make it worse though I guess.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Plantar Fasciitis
August 23, 2004, 09:47:07 pm
I'm pretty flexible, can easily touch palms on floor, but have been advised to stretch a bit before walking each morning.

wildingb

#8 Plantar Fasciitis
October 06, 2004, 11:54:01 pm
Hi Bubba,

Got the same condition as you.   Had it for a few months and i am curious if you have recovered yet?  My foot still feels tender, but not sore, and i am wondering whether to go climbing again...  

Really frustrating.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Plantar Fasciitis
October 07, 2004, 07:42:16 am
Hiya  :)

No, I've still got it as bad as ever. It did get better for a while but then I pulled it again doing some running down a Welsh hill.

It is really frustrating isn't it?

I don't have a problem climbing with it, though I guess on off-vertical stuff it would be bad, it's more anything that involves running / jumping / etc.

Have you tried taping it up? That's the only thing that's really helping. I tape along the bottom of the foot with 3 strips of zinc oxide tape - 1 straight and the other two in opposite diagnols. I set it so that if my foot is in relaxed position the tape is just pulled tight. That way, when I step on the ball of the foot, the tape takes a lot of the weight off the plantar fascia.

In additon to the 3 strips, I put tape around the whole foot - 1 just behind the toes, 1 in the middle of the arch, and one from the heel to the instep. I find this helps provide tension to the tape on the bottom of the foot, and to keep it in place at the same time.

When it's taped up I can at least walk normally, and it's fine for climbing.

I'm also taking oral ibuprofen and a doctor friend has lent me a little ultrasound gizmo.

I saw some of these footbeds yesterday and though they didn't have my size, I'm going to try to track some down because they look really supportive.

In addition to all this, I'm trying to lose weight again to take some weight off the feet.

I find it's worse in the mornings and some gentle stretching when I get up helps a bit.

If it goes on for a lot longer I'm going to consider asking the doctor for the steroid injection to see if that helps shift it.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#10 Plantar Fasciitis
October 07, 2004, 09:39:35 am
I just waited til it went away bubs but that took ages to completely go. My mate is a runner and he had i a lot worse than me. He was given some physio to do every day which stetched the foot out and he slept with a foot brace on every night to stop the foot pointing down thus hurting it further.
It took him about 1 month to recover with this treatment.

wildingb

#11 Plantar Fasciitis
October 07, 2004, 05:32:19 pm
thanks,

Guess i might tape and visit a physio to find out about those stretches.  I might try a bit of climbing and always try to land on my back.  Very bored of swimming, really want to go for just a little run.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Plantar Fasciitis
October 07, 2004, 10:17:27 pm
I got some superfeet inserts today and they do seem to offer some relief.

If you google for plantar superfeet you get a lot of very positive reviews.

Also just done 20 mins icing as I did a lot of rough walking today and my fascia aches like hell.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Plantar Fasciitis
October 08, 2004, 07:05:16 am
Quote from: "Scouse D"
I just waited til it went away bubs but that took ages to completely go. My mate is a runner and he had i a lot worse than me. He was given some physio to do every day which stetched the foot out and he slept with a foot brace on every night to stop the foot pointing down thus hurting it further.
It took him about 1 month to recover with this treatment.

Yeah, I know I should just wait on Scouse, but it drives me mental not being able to do anything! Those splints sound like a good idea....

I've read of some who've had it so bad they have to use a plastic chair in the shower!

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#14 Plantar Fasciitis
October 08, 2004, 06:06:39 pm
I've read of some who've had it so bad they have to use a plastic chair in the shower

why didn't he just have a bath? :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Plantar Fasciitis
October 08, 2004, 06:25:53 pm
I've become an expert at having a bath and only getting one foot wet to save on the massive quantitiy of tape I'm getting through.

My knee has been killing today as well. Age is cruel  :nopity:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#16 Plantar Fasciitis
October 08, 2004, 06:31:28 pm
aye, i know what ya mean. when i had my cast on my ankle i had to hang one leg out of the bath all the time.

Age is cruel

come of it Bubba, ya young whippersnapper :wink:

you've got another 50 years to get through yet... at least. :) :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Plantar Fasciitis
October 08, 2004, 06:37:57 pm
Somehow I doubt that, but thanks for the sentiment  :)

wildingb

#18 Plantar Fasciitis
October 09, 2004, 09:10:29 pm
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2002/07_02/fields.htm

This article is pretty good, I  think heelspur.com is more advice for unfit or overweight people.

I read this bit with speicial interest

"Absolute rest has not been shown to heal or speed resolution of symptoms, leading most physicians to recommend relative rest. We advise the athlete that continued training is possible, but it is expected to be painful and requires training modification.

We advocate return to training at about 60% of the preinjury level. For running athletes, certain workouts (eg, speed drills and hill running) are higher risk and should be replaced with other options. Similarly, athletes should avoid drills that emphasize jumping until most symptoms resolve. "

I'm off for a jog...
cheers,

wildingb

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Plantar Fasciitis
October 10, 2004, 08:30:28 am
good links - thanks!

runt

• obsessive maniac
#21 Plantar Fasciitis
October 13, 2004, 07:56:31 pm
After a fair bit of whining :nopity:  to the GP got myself refered to the NHS custom foot geezer, who has made me up some very tidy orthotics from casts of my trotters which have totally done the biz. Worth a go perhaps? have got me running about fairly comfortably, apart from the burning lungs

webbo

• forum hero
#22 Plantar Fasciitis
October 27, 2004, 08:50:11 pm
bubba.
the book i've mentioned a few times on here.pain free talk's about to how treat this condition i've now realised.well it reckon's it can cure any skelletal,muscular problem's.a friend of mine reckon's it's based on yoga/eastern type ideas in that the larger muscle groups cause imbalances so you need to get them to relax/back off.whether or not it's psychological i don'nt know.but my elbows were starting to hurt again but after 4 days of the ex's they seem to be getting better.
it's worth a try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal