UKBouldering.com

Upper back pain/strains (Read 1779 times)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Upper back pain/strains
February 18, 2016, 11:43:33 am
Keep getting repeated pain/strains in my upper back after exercise. Today it is hurting after a bunch of core/shoulder exercises  aimed at preventing this sort of thing!
Problem seems to occur between/just below shoulder blades, more on left side (where I also get recurring shoulder impingement). Obviously need to go to a physio about it (again) but has anyone else experienced this in relation to climbing? Seems less common than lower back? Suspect it is due to bad posture/over strong lats or something, though the last physio I saw gave me loads of ankle mobility exercises as he thought an old broken ankle from bouldering had led to assymetrical stance and gait. I do his exercises several times a week but am still getting problems. 

In retrospect it seems like I've had recurring problems once every so often for years: remember the first time I did deadlifts at university more years ago than I care to remember I put my upper back out. And that was before I broke my ankle.

Anyone been able to fix themselves from this sort of problem? Any pearls of wisdom? Not too bad today but have had to have days off work in previous instances where it spasmed if I moved at all or even took a deep breath.

benno

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Upper back pain/strains
February 18, 2016, 02:49:02 pm
I don't think I've had this quite as badly as you describe, but I can give you my uneducated two penneth in true internet style...

It might be worth taking a foam roller to your back to deal with the discomfort and also give your abs, pecs etc. a stretch, tightness here being a potential cause of over-exerted stuff in your upper back. Try lying on your back with the roller perpendicular to your spine, stick your arms up over your head and roll up and down a bit around the affected area. Bonus points for breathing during this process. It hurts so good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Upper back pain/strains
February 18, 2016, 03:11:55 pm
I often pull a muscle low between my shoulder blades, about 2 or 3 times a year. I can feel it building up after a period of intense exercise, and I furiously do stretches to keep it at bay, but it will "go" randomly doing something benign like picking up a toothbrush. I then have a period of 1 -2 days of intense pain, after which I will do a few hangs off a pullup bar and it then seems to reset and stop hurting.

I've been told I have underdeveloped trapeziums (from where I am they look fine ;) ), and have been doing some theraband exercises over the last few months so it has become less of an issue.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#3 Re: Upper back pain/strains
February 18, 2016, 03:15:01 pm
I often pull a muscle low between my shoulder blades, about 2 or 3 times a year. I can feel it building up after a period of intense exercise, and I furiously do stretches to keep it at bay, but it will "go" randomly doing something benign like picking up a toothbrush. I then have a period of 1 -2 days of intense pain, after which I will do a few hangs off a pullup bar and it then seems to reset and stop hurting.

I've been told I have underdeveloped trapeziums (from where I am they look fine ;) ), and have been doing some theraband exercises over the last few months so it has become less of an issue.

Yep, it's basically exactly like this. Will look into the underdeveloped traps idea. Thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Upper back pain/strains
February 18, 2016, 03:26:24 pm
the only exercise i do is hold arms out in front, thumbs up, holding theraband and pull apart until hands out horizontal to the side then slowly release. about 3 sets of 20 or so (no idea if this is a good number or not, will need to choose strength and tension of theraband)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Upper back pain/strains
February 18, 2016, 04:08:54 pm
It might be worth taking a foam roller to your back to deal with the discomfort and also give your abs, pecs etc. a stretch, tightness here being a potential cause of over-exerted stuff in your upper back. Try lying on your back with the roller perpendicular to your spine, stick your arms up over your head and roll up and down a bit around the affected area. Bonus points for breathing during this process. It hurts so good.

This, and hockey ball! You could try one of the spikey balls, but I'm not sure the spikes do any good other than artificially causing more pain than necessary.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal