UKBouldering.com

The mind boggles (Read 5071 times)

nash1

• menacing presence
The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 02:52:12 pm
As if the sport of cycling doesn't have enough issues, we now have a confirmed motor in a bike, what is the point?

Unbelievable, but I suppose the fact that they have been looking for them is not just a result of punters on internet forums accusing Cancellara from dodgy Youtube vids - they obviously knew something was afoot...

Not good...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#1 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 03:08:07 pm
There is a video on YouTube of her taking off up a couple of cyclocross climbs which saw at the weekend which did look like something quite exceptional, not that it was definitive proof that she was running a motor at the time, but still impressive. Quite a bit more on the story at grit.cx here http://grit.cx/news/2016/01/motor-doping-confirmed-by-uci-at-cx-worlds.

There is some equally interesting footage of Fabien Cancellara here;

and also Ryder Hesjedal here;

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 04:08:53 pm
I wonder how cycling will manage to get even worse now.
Disgusting.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 04:30:32 pm
In the video of Cancellara he looks like he is just changing gear to me not pressing any secret buttons.
The girl who was caught with the dodgy bike at X championships has a brother who is serving a two year ban for EPO.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 07:35:53 pm
Yep, the Cancellara is much more circumstantial though he does take off at a fair old lick on the cobbles. Shame that any performance like that now makes me suspicious (thinking of countless Armstrong times). I'll try and find the footage of Van den Driessche; didn't realise her brother also has history and whilst that doesn't necessarily implicate her, it does cast doubt on family values...

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 07:55:24 pm
Yep, the Cancellara is much more circumstantial though he does take off at a fair old lick on the cobbles. Shame that any performance like that now makes me suspicious (thinking of countless Armstrong times). I'll try and find the footage of Van den Driessche; didn't realise her brother also has history and whilst that doesn't necessarily implicate her, it does cast doubt on family values...
There's a YouTube video on the bikeradar forum in probiking mechanical doping, showing her in the Koppenburg cross. She makes everyone else look like they've stopped.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#6 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 08:08:59 pm
There's a YouTube video on the bikeradar forum in probiking mechanical doping, showing her in the Koppenburg cross. She makes everyone else look like they've stopped.
That's probably the one, she drops a group on the first climb and gaps them by a significant distance in no time at all. Like i say, not like its impossible but it does sure look suspicious. There's been quite a bit of talk about e-bikes understandably and even people posting about e-bike destruction of KOM's on Strava (like here )

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: The mind boggles
February 01, 2016, 10:56:29 pm

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: The mind boggles
February 02, 2016, 09:58:40 am
The terminology of the rule makers is the really baffling bit. No fucking motors okay?

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: The mind boggles
February 02, 2016, 10:24:17 am
I've gotta admit the idea of new miniturised motor technology changing the face of road/x-country biking does, for me, make cycling a more attractive proposition (for personal pleasure not competiton). Or is motors in bikes already 'a thing' among recreational bods?

Bit like how tech developed in the pressure of warfare eventually filters down to civil/personal pleasure uses.

ferret

• forum abuser
#10 Re: The mind boggles
February 02, 2016, 11:09:33 am
I've gotta admit the idea of new miniturised motor technology changing the face of road/x-country biking does, for me, make cycling a more attractive proposition (for personal pleasure not competiton). Or is motors in bikes already 'a thing' among recreational bods?

Bit like how tech developed in the pressure of warfare eventually filters down to civil/personal pleasure uses.

Yeah its already a thing, they are called E-Bikes and available in a variety of forms including mountain bike. RE the mountain bikes, there is a lot of debate whether they should be allowed on trails or not. The general internet consensus being they should be treated as a motorized vehicle and bound by the same restrictions, unless you have some sort of physical handicap preventing you from riding a normal bike.
Basically its a huge  :worms: and will probably end in some sort of user conflict at some point in the future.

Edit: There is a video of one a few posts up

dave

#11 Re: The mind boggles
February 02, 2016, 11:22:35 am
Looks like cycling's "dry-tooling" equivalent.

chris20

• menacing presence
#12 Re: The mind boggles
February 02, 2016, 11:29:47 am

I was at a wedding in the summer and was talking to an old F1 pundit and he is now in business with an ex F1 team owner, putting motors in Italian road bike frames.  I think there are lots of rules about it on public roads, so it has to be electrically assisted rather than having a button that you push to turn on a motor

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal