UKBouldering.com

Online Topo Database/ Open Source Interactive Guidebook (Read 2613 times)

AB

• regular
Hi,
Thought i'd test the wealth of knowledge on UKB.  As part of my Msc in Computer Science I need to build an interactive website.

I was thinking of creating a website that can be used to store topo information and is easy to edit, essentially something like Gary Gibson's http://www.sportsclimbs.co.uk/ but with the emphasis that users can add their own routes with no technical knowledge.  The whole idea is to make new routes open source, shame UKC is owned by rockfax otherwise it would be great to integrate a topo feature with their databases...

What I would like from the guys on here
1. What you want in such a website (eg a way for it to link to google maps etc).
2. What is there currently out there?

tomtom

• forum hero
Peakbouldering.info

AB

• regular
Thanks, that's a really good example, I was thinking of designing a product not specific to one area and that could be a topo for both routes and bouldering. Would be interesting if there's nothing like this already out there.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I was playing around with GeoJSON the other day and on the back of that was looking to find sources for geo-located info on crags and stumbled across ClimbingAway which is mostly there for what I'd be looking for from such a website but lacks the key details of route information/detailed topos.  Thats not necessarily a problem for me though as I will almost always buy a local guide when in a given area because they're produced by those who do the work to maintain access (and equipment on bolted venues).

My thinking to gathering all the geo-location information was not really geared towards making a website rather just collating all the geo-location information for crags worldwide in one place for others to then use (since I know very little about web-design).

You can harvest information from sites using things like wget to grab all the pages but it might get your IP address banned (I think Jim got banned from bleau.info for doing this).

On that note if you want all the geoJSON from Bleau.info just view the source for any given areas page its all in there (along with geoJSON for parking areas too).

A place with info for Peru which might not have made it onto other worldwide sites is http://toposperu.com/
 :geek:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
You could have a look at frankenjura.com (maybe with assistance from google translate).

It's an interesting case. The 'jura is routes-wise one of the best documented climbing areas in the world. There are three different commercial guidebooks, all of them comprehensive and all of them good. And then there is frankenjura.com, equally comprehensive with the added bonus of being more up to date than any print edition. All of them seem to manage to survive commercially.

The website is free, with subscription access to the app. I haven't subscribed to the app yet, don't really need to as I have all three guidebooks but I might this year out of unhealthy obsessiveness curiosity.

andy_e

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal