UKBouldering.com

Good tents (Read 4395 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Good tents
January 25, 2016, 12:24:35 pm
I'm currently on the hunt for a 2 person tent at around 80-100 quid. I'm 6ft 2" so length is a consideration (the dreaded sleeping bag wet end must be avoided!). It'll be used throughout the seasons and preferably will have some porch space for Fido.

I think I'm right in guessing that Wild County tents are made by Terra Nova? Any opinions on this one?:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/wild-country-tents-hoolie-3-tent-d1412225?id_colour=98&source=webgains_uk&siteid=54264&s2m_channel=812

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 12:33:36 pm
Wild Country and Terra Nova are from memory from the same company, they split the product lines a good while back if memory serves me correct, previously just used to be all Wild Country but that brand name is for their cheaper line and Terra Nova for the higher end stuff now.

They've got a pretty good reputation for build quality and durability too so could do a lot worse that this. Guess it depends if you'll be mostly car camping or actually having to carry it on your back.

Edit: I've had a few North Face tents over the years which have always served me well so might be worth looking too at something like this

http://www.snowandrock.com/the-north-face-heyerdahl-2-tent//ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/67332?listing=true

SamT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 12:53:32 pm
yer - Terra nova are the higher end mountaineering tents and Wild Country are your more car camping in the UK end of things.

I've been idly eyeing up two man tents for a while and one feature that seems to be common on so many tents these days is the way the fly sheet slopes over the entrance/ground sheet. So essentially, if its pissing it down, and you open the door, you instantly got a load of run off into the inner tent, and the rain falls directly into/onto the inner tent/ground sheet. utter crap  :wall:

Just watch out for it as it seems to be so common (especially on your cheaper decathlon, vango, go outdoors types).

We've got a mountain hardware tent that so far, (kiss of death) has been utterly bombproof, but it wasn't the cheapest on the market mind.

T_B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 01:29:25 pm
At that price I wouldn't think twice. I bought my bro a Hoolie 4 and he really likes it.

I think WC tents are pretty good if you're looking mid-range general use.

dave

#4 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 01:32:00 pm
I've got the sort of WC version of the TerraNova Quasar, can't fault it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 02:06:29 pm
Unless you intend carrying it any distance, I like Vango tents as a cheaper option. We've got 2 and they are definitely towards the heavy / robust end.

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/180-multi-adventure-tents

chris05

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 02:24:28 pm
+1 for Vango tents, at least for camp site use. I have the venture 350 which is great with a massive porch but isn't so good in high winds. I have broken a pole while forcing it in but they are cheap to replace and it was probably my fault.

dave

#7 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 02:30:08 pm
Get a Vango Force Ten in orange for that timeless "I've been camping more times than you've had hot dinners love" look.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 02:51:45 pm
Needs to be prefaded to pale yellow by pitching in the garden in midsummer and leaving for a month.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 03:07:42 pm
I've a couple of cheap tents that had lasted surprisingly well - I've a 20 year old Eurohike 3 man dome thing (then £80 so not the basic model) that is still going strong - it survived a campsite flooding in France (we were able to unpeg and tow the tent through the water with next to no leaks through the ground sheet.  For less arduous conditions I have one of the Decathlon 3 person pop up jobbies. Works great and fits in the spare wheel well of the car :) I'm 6'3" and the 3 person one is fine (the 2 person is too cosy - and a little short..).

I'd love to have a decent brand tent - but all my camping (now rare) is generally from the boot of the car and not in super windy/exposed/3 or 4 season circumstances...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 04:29:48 pm
Needs to be prefaded to pale yellow by pitching in the garden in midsummer and leaving for a month.
then hose it down and leave it damp in the loft for six months for that authentic smell

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#11 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 04:37:01 pm
Cheers all. A few strong options mooted there!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 05:26:42 pm
I'll add an nth support for Vango if you're just car-camping and not hiking with it.

Had one that lasted just shy of twenty years, including five Glastonbrys (at least two were wet ones).  Finally replaced it last year with another (Omega 350) which is basically the same but a bit taller and has a groundsheet in the awning which clips to the side preventing water running in.  They do suffer from the afforementioned problem of rain running in due to the slope, but having a door either side means you can have one mostly in the lea of the wind at any given time.

Trekking in Peru we used Quasars due to weight (didn't want to break the donkeys backs  :P ).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Re: Good tents
January 25, 2016, 07:01:21 pm
Get a Vango Force Ten in orange for that timeless "I've been camping more times than you've had hot dinners love" look.
if weight isn't an issue definitely get a force 10, bomb proof

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal