December 26, 2015, 10:47:17 pm
1. Be able to climb without pain

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#52 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 12:49:17 pm
Think you should throw in a multi-pitch 5.12 on the Chief, a concerted effort at embracing local bouldering and a visit to Smith

Wood FT

• forum hero
#53 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 01:46:18 pm
Climb Arch Enemies/New Dawn/Raindogs/Pierrepoint
Get on Supercool and K3
Do something of relative merit in Siurana at Easter
Get down to the South West more (Ansteys, Brean, Cheddar etc)

Rein in back in and climb classic E3 routes all over and become a competent and safe climber, been the butt of the joke for too long and it's funny up until I tool myself.

Enjoy bouldering, I.e. get out and have fun on circuits with a good team. Get on Suavito ffs!

General:

Don't fuck it up
Keep saving
See family more
Apply self at new job
Ride a horse
Get Nige on hard sport (the 3rd reincarnation of Kershaw)

Good luck everyone

Murph

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 02:25:45 pm
Hello chaps,

2015 was pretty good - I lost weight and got in shape. Climbed a bunch of 7As and a single 7B which was no doubt over-graded. But have slacked off the last three months since then.

Aims for 2016 are toget in even better shape and train with discipline, so no binge training/dieting and then binge slacking. Aiming for consistency. Actually plan and record training, not just messing about.

Success will be signified by getting properly light (BMI of 20) as a means to an end of climbing several 7Bs and maybe even harder.

Good luck everyone with your aims.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#55 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 04:47:04 pm
1.   Oak. Be in shape for final summit push in the Spring
2.   Open accounts on Bat Route and/or Mecca (sorry)
3.   Get weight down to sub 11 from end of Jan onwards / cut down on booze
4.   Read a novel a month – regain reading habit
5.   Watch a classic film with my eldest once a month
6.   For Tommy to redpoint Raindogs
7.   Ambitious family trip in Summer again (Squamish again or South Africa or the States)
8.   5x1 week away (non-family) climbing trips (Chulilla, Fairhead, Pembroke and two more)
9.   Tick off at least 3 outstanding projects: Anger Management, Jericho Road, Rattle and Hump, eatswood Reverse, Brad Pit, Blind Date, Kudos, Bens Roof
10. Increase absolute crimp and drag strength by 5kg
11. Onsight attempt Reproduction at High Tor 
12. Put up a new hard sport and trad route

Eddies

• forum hero
#56 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 06:44:43 pm
Sort out injured knee (meniscal tear) then:
7C on peak lime
7C+ on peak grit
8a on peak lime
Multiple personal training goals.

DIY goals: I move into a new house in Jan so will have a woody and a garden to build.
I'm also getting married in August so have significant stag do goals!

remus

• forum hero
#57 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 07:08:34 pm
  • Get stuck in to a proper project
  • ...but get it done within the year (preferably without too much weeping at the bottom of the crag, sacrificing of first born children etc.)
  • Trips to font, buoux, fairhead, mallorca, chorro
  • Try to keep the font ticklist under control (preferably by ticking off large parts of it)
  • Get scared on some DWS (preferably towards the top of adrenochrome)
  • Cutlass
  • Wizard of Oz, if I can get keen enough for another go

dave

#58 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 07:24:57 pm
1. Keep injuries at bay and hence capitalise on winter training better than last year.

2. Do some 8s.

3. Finish off Caviar.

4. Do some bouldering trips in either UK or Font.

5. Ideally get to alps, do some 4000m peaks.

fried

• forum hero
#59 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 08:38:38 pm
1. Go to Railay and get strong on limestone.
2. BM my way through February.
3. Tick off some of my ever growing project list...Travaux forcé and Gigi being the ones I want the most.
4. Stay uninjured.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#60 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 08:39:41 pm

Rein in back in and climb classic E3 routes all over and become a competent and safe climber, been the butt of the joke for too long and it's funny up until I tool myself

Very proud of you for this one VG! Although we all joke we do all want you back in the pub with us after a day's trading too! Once you can fiddle in wires like bubbles you'll be able to lash all you like as far as I'm concerned (except on choss)

Psyched for more days out climbing together!

petejh

• forum hero
#61 Re: Aims For 2016
December 27, 2015, 10:18:07 pm
And through my crystal ball the haze clears to reveal...
Aims for 2026
1.   Mecca. Be in shape for final summit push in the Spring
2.   Open accounts on Raining Bats and Dogs and/or Mecca Extension (sorry)
3.   Get weight down to sub 11 from end of Jan onwards / cut down on booze
ad infinitum

;D

AndyR

• forum hero
#62 Re: Aims For 2016
December 28, 2015, 07:15:04 am
Think you should throw in a multi-pitch 5.12 on the Chief, a concerted effort at embracing local bouldering and a visit to Smith

Yes, to Smith, for sure (and Yosemite and the RRG and ...) but my freedom to travel is inextricably bound up with aim #1.

The next route in the Squamish multi-pitch progression is Uinversity Wall but that's a fair bit harder and more serious than Freeway. I am actually keener just to do Freeway again.
You neatly sidestepped Shark's second point there.

I'd happily do Freeway if you need a rope handler...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#63 Re: Aims For 2016
December 28, 2015, 11:10:13 am

would you like advice on one piece of gear to take? F6c?! (seriously)

TobyD

• forum hero
#64 Re: Aims For 2016
December 28, 2015, 11:28:53 am

Sort out irritating niggly collateral ligament tweak which I stupidly retweaked yesterday, and then:

Trad:
Onsight 5 E5s after a few years of neglecting trad almost altogether, ideally Extreme Rock ones.
Climb E6 (again).
Get out in Scotland.

Sport:
Overnight Sensation, The Groove, Love amongst the Butterflies (all of which done in overlapping sections 2015)
8a abroad, possibly in Margalef in March.
Statement of Youth
If going ok find a suitable project 8b or harder to get stuck into

Bouldering
7b on the lime
Brad Pit, eatswood traverse,
Get over to Wales at least a couple of times

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#65 Re: Aims For 2016
December 28, 2015, 12:38:59 pm
4. Visit a new area.  Swanage and/or Pembroke hopefully.  Loads of stuff I'd like to do at both.
It's an hour and a bit further to Pembroke but so worth the extra drive.
So everyone tells me!  I really fancy Polaris, Mother Africa and Freeborn Man though, and Swanage is on the cusp of almost being day trip-able.  Mind you, Hunterman's Leap does look awesome ...

Dorset is about two hours, surely a day trip? Good objectives, I've not yet managed to get on Polaris but it's high on the agenda. Apparently The Fabulous Professor Panic is similarly 'out there' without being that hard.

4. Trad. Get my mojo back, get back onto some E4s and have a decent go at an E5.

5. This, and be actually on my mental and physical game for it this time
Get ducks in a row for trips to Switzerland, Dolomites, Verdon or other longish, hardish & freeish objectives.

7. Buy a house, continue to get on well at work, complete other goals (cycling). Try to make various potential reunions with far flung road trip friends come about.

5. will come naturally after 4.  Your physical game is not the issue and your mental game will be much better after doing some slightly adventurous trad. However, fitting this all in means you need to abandon 2/4 from 7. Stop that cycling straightaway!

..., a concerted effort at embracing local bouldering ...

Aging former traddies need to boulder. Especially shark, habrich and I.

It's got to be a pink tricam (I have no idea).

Good luck everyone.

TobyD

• forum hero
#66 Re: Aims For 2016
December 28, 2015, 03:00:59 pm

It's got to be a pink tricam (I have no idea).

[/quote]

no!

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#67 Re: Aims For 2016
December 28, 2015, 04:56:52 pm

4. Trad. Get my mojo back, get back onto some E4s and have a decent go at an E5.

5. This, and be actually on my mental and physical game for it this time
Get ducks in a row for trips to Switzerland, Dolomites, Verdon or other longish, hardish & freeish objectives.

7. Buy a house, continue to get on well at work, complete other goals (cycling). Try to make various potential reunions with far flung road trip friends come about.

5. will come naturally after 4.  Your physical game is not the issue and your mental game will be much better after doing some slightly adventurous trad. However, fitting this all in means you need to abandon 2/4 from 7. Stop that cycling straightaway!

The physical game letdown from last summer was very specifically the calf stamina, which really does need addressing before any more massive footsy grey limestone walls. However, this also follows from 4.

As for the cycling, the big cycling goal I've committed to for the year is early in June which will leave plenty of summer left to do other things in. I'm away all over Easter and I rarely make big plans for the winter (and based on the winter so far that doesn't seem a bad plan) so all I actually lose is a bit of time in April and May. I struggle to get out of work in time to climb outside in the evenings that regularly anyway so as far as possible I'm going to fit in the bulk of my miles after work.

kelvin

• forum hero
#68 Re: Aims For 2016
December 29, 2015, 10:47:52 am
My aims are less specific in general and more about learning to work around the issues my right wrist has given me. Finally on top of what I can't do (much worse than I ever imagined), so the main aim for the year is to engrain good habits that stop me climbing into dead ends. So no straight arm, no thumb usage, no deep kickoffs - or thereabouts.

Otherwise - Incapacity Benefit at WCJ Cornice when I get back this summer and Salbit West Ridge in August. That'll do me.

Boulder. Lots.

kelvin

• forum hero
#69 Re: Aims For 2016
December 29, 2015, 10:48:49 am
Lockoffs

csl

• junky
#70 Re: Aims For 2016
December 29, 2015, 02:42:08 pm
Rehab Finger
8a
Do some trad

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#71 Re: Aims For 2016
December 29, 2015, 06:12:21 pm
Keep training after friend moves out of my house to go traveling. 7C+ on peak lime. Continue grit rampage as long as possible after hard sends recently... Keeping it vague

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#72 Re: Aims For 2016
December 30, 2015, 04:55:45 am
only one main goal for 2016: get barreled...

something like this would be nice:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#73 Re: Aims For 2016
December 30, 2015, 05:24:53 am
In 2015 I set no aims - and despite missing most of the first three months through injury have had one of my best years to date. So I'm tempted to set no aims for 2016....

Likewise. Still dithering, but will probably put down a few

Sidehaas

• stalker
#74 Re: Aims For 2016
December 30, 2015, 08:16:16 am
Thought it might be fun to post this and check back in 12 months...although if I'd done this a year ago I'm certain it would have included a load of stuff I then never even tried...so my psyche will probably change again! :)

1) Jerry's Traverse, plus at least a couple of other new grit 7bs before Font in March (am already very close on T crack, Suavito, Case of Mistaken Identity...SHOULD be a fairly straightforward goal...but so far I've only managed one problem on grit this season!)
2) Font in March, keen to do Crazy Horse and try a 7B+, probably either Magic Bus or La Barre Fixe. 10 new 7s in the week would also be good (managed 11 last trip), but planning to focus more on difficulty over quantity.
3) Moffatrocity as soon as it dries. I spent 8 sessions on it in Oct/Nov and was super close (in fact really should have done it more than once...)
4) Would like to have a pop at eatswood Traverse and Wright's Traverse. Probably after Font if Moff is still wet, or after Moff before getting on routes.
5) Arch Enemies. Really need to get back on some routes this year and this is the first one I'd be motivated to put a lot of time in to. Had 2 short sessions on it in 2014.
6) Subject to speed of success on (5), F8a. Various candidates.
7) Pick off some more limestone 7Bs in summer evenings (stretch goal some 7B+s or maybe Paint it Black.)
8) In between all the above, find time to try Simple Simon and Bizarre again.
9) Next winter, maybe try Tetris.

Phew!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal