UKBouldering.com

Sole delaminating on recent Sportiva shoes (Read 3453 times)

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
Sole delaminating on recent Sportiva shoes
November 30, 2015, 05:11:00 pm
Hi all,

I've been a long-timer user of La Sportiva shoes, but it seems that the last two pairs I've bought (katana lace and solution) have had issues with the sole delaminating. I sent the katanas back to the distributor, who "fixed" the problem only for the sole to delaminate again within a session.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with Sportiva models bought in the last year? Is my technique utter shit?

Answers on a postcard folks (or better yet, in this thread).

abarro81

• forum hero
There was a ukc thread on this, it happens quite a bit with Sportivas, always has done I think - was happening 10 yrs ago when I worked in Slush n Rubble

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
They were certainly bad for that years ago, and I get the impression from what I'm seeing in forums that they're going through a bad patch again after a while of being ok. Mine over the last few years - including some bought early this year - have been fine.

I find it rather worrying given that I had pretty much settled on "buy Miura Laces / Testarossas whenever I see them at a good price" as my climbing shoe strategy for the rest of my life. I thought this would allow me to stand smugly aside from the perpetual quest for the right pink/white/green/pink again / no turquoise now Anasazi. Very worrying indeed.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
It is quite a common problem. Solutions are particularly bad for it. Miura VCS seem to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
i had one pair of solutions last year where the glue didn't work properly. my other 12 pairs of la sportiva's the last three of four years have been fine

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
Had one pair of Ganda's delaminating. Got a new pair, but these start delaminating as well. More serious are the 7 or 8 pairs of Katana's where the point of the left shoe started to delaminate after one or two sessions. Send two pairs back to LS, and got them back 'repaired'. Damage already done, so no good. Looks like the problem is both in the glue and the sole being filed down too much. Switched from 5.10 to LS about 10 years ago when the sole fell off about a dozen pairs in a row. 5.10 did a good job by replacing all of them. Might go back to 5.10 soon.

SamT

• forum hero

Llanberis resoles!!!

My Muiras came back better than new and are still going strong (The were demoted to my indoor wall shoe, so get use once or twice a week through the winter for the last 3 years)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Missing the point Sam. The fact that it's possible to get shoes repaired doesn't excuse shoes that need repairing because they are faulty from the word go.

Sportiva have form for exactly this problem in the past (I'm talking 1990s here), and as a very contented user of their current products, I find it worrying to hear that they might be slipping again.

That said, all the Sportiva shoes I've had in the last few years (4 x Miura Laces, 2 x Katana, 3 x Pythons, 1 x Testarossa) have been absolutely fine and one shouldn't panic because of every internet rumour.

dave

[sarcasm]At least sportivas are so cheap these days you can financially weather the odd few compete shoe failures.[/sarcasm]

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
[sarcasm]At least sportivas are so cheap these days you can financially weather the odd few compete shoe failures.[/sarcasm]

I actually managed to wear out a pair of Gandas before they fell apart. Shame that only took a month...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal