UKBouldering.com

Aldi Skiwear (Read 5673 times)

Dave Mayes

• regular
Aldi Skiwear
November 30, 2015, 12:45:19 pm
Anyone ever used it? Living in the alps now and skiing is like a religion here. Looking at starting after xmas and my folks noticed an aldi sale this week. Worth it? Ive already got a bogstandard set of hiking waterproofs.

T_B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Aldi Skiwear
November 30, 2015, 01:01:47 pm
You've not got a lot to lose. I bought some cycling shorts and leggings four years ago and they've been absolutely brilliant. I probably wouldn't buy the hard shell stuff but I reckon I'll give the base layers a try.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Aldi Skiwear
November 30, 2015, 02:53:56 pm
I've generally found their stuff basic but ok.

Of you're living the Alps you're presumably also not too far from a Decathlon?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 09:15:07 am
a Decathlon?

I was going to say the same thing. There's one in Sallanches, they're called Quechua in France now.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#4 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 09:42:03 am
I'm in Grenoble, we can't move for decathlon stuff! It's just it's even cheaper in aldi UK (I'm heading home for xmas then driving back to France) and I've heard a lot about Decathlon stuff breaking easily. I'm wearing some trousers by them now and I've had to tie off 4 or 5 threads on them to stop the stitching from unravelling. If it's better though, it's dead easy just to nip into town and buy some.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#5 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 10:33:18 am
It is funny: Amount prepared to spend on fossil fuel to drive home and back at Christmas = $$$$$$$$$. Amount prepared to spend on products that enable you to survive/ have fun in an inhospitable environment =$.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#6 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 11:00:14 am
It is funny: Amount prepared to spend on fossil fuel to drive home and back at Christmas = $$$$$$$$$. Amount prepared to spend on products that enable you to survive/ have fun in an inhospitable environment =$.

I'm not sure you can compare the cost of buying ski stuff here to getting to see my friends, folks and grandparents over christmas.

The whole point of this thread was to find out if the Aldi stuff was any good. I'm a total beginner, so I was just asking if the cheap stuff at Aldi was decent and not going to fall apart. I need something that doesn't break when I fall on my arse, but that doesn't cost the earth - my internship only pays 500 euros a month, so blowing a months wages on gear that I might only use 4 or 5 times isn't really on.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#7 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 11:47:09 am
I've got a pair of Aldi salopettes, bought them for cold sport climbing days, they are fine but very basic. They'd be nicer to ski in than waterproof trousers over your normal trousers. But if you got into going regularly you'd want to by a nicer pair before too long I imagine. I wouldn't bother buying a jacket if you've got warm jacket you can already use, doubt you'll be skiing if it snowing heavily so down jacket be fine, but maybe too warm.

Are you about size 7-8 in shoes? I might be able to lend you some very classy 80s ski boots that have been used once since the 80s. Found them to be the most important item when I went skiing as hire boots are uncomfy and don't keep your feet warm. nice warm gloves (or better mittens) also essential.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 12:40:29 pm
OT, but I would have thought even a pair of worn out hire boots would be better than classy 80s ones!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 01:22:37 pm
I've got a pair of Aldi salopettes, bought them for cold sport climbing days, they are fine but very basic. They'd be nicer to ski in than waterproof trousers over your normal trousers. But if you got into going regularly you'd want to by a nicer pair before too long I imagine. I wouldn't bother buying a jacket if you've got warm jacket you can already use

+1

Purpose designed kecks are important. I snowboard rather than ski, and have some Burton trousers that really are perfect for the job. For the upper body I wear normal mountaineering gear - a polyester or merino top or two and a softshell. I own a "proper" snowboarding jacket that I wear for commuting to work in winter; have never felt any need to wear it for actual snowboarding.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#10 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 02:21:21 pm
I've got a pair of Aldi salopettes, bought them for cold sport climbing days, they are fine but very basic. They'd be nicer to ski in than waterproof trousers over your normal trousers. But if you got into going regularly you'd want to by a nicer pair before too long I imagine. I wouldn't bother buying a jacket if you've got warm jacket you can already use, doubt you'll be skiing if it snowing heavily so down jacket be fine, but maybe too warm.

Are you about size 7-8 in shoes? I might be able to lend you some very classy 80s ski boots that have been used once since the 80s. Found them to be the most important item when I went skiing as hire boots are uncomfy and don't keep your feet warm. nice warm gloves (or better mittens) also essential.

Cool, I'll probably ask for a pair of salopettes for xmas then. I've got a nice downy but maybe my ragged old primaloft thing under a hardshell would be better?

As it happens I am a size 7 and a half, though I'm not sure what I'm getting into with skiboots! Climbing stuff is so much more simple.

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 03:53:45 pm
How cheap are we talking as TK Maxx have some good deals on decent looking ski wear?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 04:22:46 pm
Don't forget getting or borrowing some half decent goggles. unless it is blazing sunshine you'll need some, and even if it is sunny, I always go with goggles over shades.

As others have said, you can get by with climbing clothing in most departments. Don't wear a down jacket though as if you are learning you'll be falling over, getting hot and crashing in to things so it'll get torn to shreds. Ski edges can be pretty sharp too.

Oh and a helmet.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#13 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 04:49:50 pm
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/

Can't really look in TKMaxx at the mo as I'm not back from Grenoble til the 19th.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 06:35:19 pm
They have a website which shows stock.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#15 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 01, 2015, 06:53:03 pm
No way! The future is here

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 02, 2015, 10:06:53 am
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/

I'd spend some money on a better pair. Try them to see if they fit your face and helmet before buying, and cheapo ones will probably fog up, then ice up very quickly.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#17 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 06, 2015, 12:00:23 pm
Managed to get out to a 2nd hand ski shop in Grenoble (chaos) and bought some skis and boots. The guy in the shop advised me to get these ones (I had no idea) but noticed the cover is delaminating a bit when I got home. Paid 90e for them and the bindings, should I take them back and try and swap, or doesn't it really matter?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN-4uGUgDUseXhwTENRTnJDNEFmMEVYOG1QUWVHemNLRnVn/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN-4uGUgDUsZThDbjFoT09MWVBNT19UekF1bVJ6WFNEWmtn/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN-4uGUgDUscUJkQjd2eW1MWWg0djRvNnJyRm9hdHp6VVpF/view?usp=sharing

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Aldi Skiwear
December 07, 2015, 09:28:12 am
Looks like the topsheet, I personally wouldn't be worried, for that price you aren't going to get top drawer quality. I'd be more worries about bases and edges, were they serviced before you bought them>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal