UKBouldering.com

World's hardest boulder problem?? (Read 14783 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 10:04:49 am

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 11:38:59 am
Nobody mentioned this yet?
It looks almost as bad as something out of Lancashire, the video has more confusing edits than a lawson beta clip, and the hardest boulder problem is based on some semi-inflammatory gobbledegook at: http://lizardclimbing.com/index.php?id=361  ;)

Schnell

• menacing presence
#2 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 11:43:20 am
It looks almost as bad as something out of Lancashire, the video has more confusing edits than a lawson beta clip, and the hardest boulder problem is based on some semi-inflammatory gobbledegook at: http://lizardclimbing.com/index.php?id=361  ;)

From my reading of that blog post, he's pissed that he can't climb a 9a+ so he's decided that bouldering grades are nonsense too and he may as well give himself 8C+ for this.

dave

#3 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 11:50:42 am
Grading stuff based on numbers of days spent on previous projects generally just doesn't have a great track record. A lot of stuff graded like this in the past have ended up being wrong, or at least more prone to being wrong than just the usual "hard hard does it feel" or "how much do you need to hang onto your free boots deal" grading estimate.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 12:05:17 pm
Log finish  ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 12:15:13 pm
No wonder he found it so hard, he did every move three times in a row.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 12:19:42 pm
Nobody mentioned this yet?

The edits are confusing, and the grade, but I like the fact he's squeezed every inch of his local crag and clearly become very good at a very specific style. Commendable obsession!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#7 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 01:06:30 pm
Log finish  ;D

More pulling on wood  :P

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 02:23:38 pm
Its no king line...

But given the UK's ability to drag endless harder eliminate style problems/lines from some of our 'top' lime venues then maybe we should not be so quick to criticise...

Its a fucking awful video though...

36chambers

• forum hero
#9 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 02:33:10 pm
Here's a much better clip of the problem. It's a shame people are so reluctant to show a full unedited one-shot ascent, I find it harder to appreciate how difficult something is otherwise.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#10 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 03:51:52 pm
When I think of the world's hardest traversy thing, this is the sort of footage I like:

https://youtu.be/QeR47AQ05Jo?t=2m50s

Quite aesthetic for crabwise shuffling too.

dave

#11 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 04:29:22 pm

Here's a much better clip of the problem. It's a shame people are so reluctant to show a full unedited one-shot ascent, I find it harder to appreciate how difficult something is otherwise.

Having now watched two videos of this problem I couldn't tell you what it looks like or how steep it is. I wish folk would stop filming everything through a fucking fisheye or ultrawide either in the climbers face or from floor level.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 04:31:24 pm

Having now watched two videos of this problem I couldn't tell you what it looks like or how steep it is. I wish folk would stop filming everything through a fucking fisheye or ultrawide either in the climbers face or from floor level.

Thanks for perspective Dave ;)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#13 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 07:46:01 pm
So the boulder is 8C+ because Action Direct is not that hard for Megos/Hojer, and Ondra has thin fingers?

Crystal.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#14 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 08:01:39 pm
Since this Is a traverse, then i should mention "fou rire retour aller" 9a... Having passed by the boulder while looking for la mouche (the problem, not the man) i can say it looks proper desperate and very conditions dependent...the main difficulty seems to be able to hang from ugly one pad slopers.

Doylo

• forum hero
#15 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 08:32:54 pm
Grading stuff based on numbers of days spent on previous projects generally just doesn't have a great track record. A lot of stuff graded like this in the past have ended up being wrong, or at least more prone to being wrong than just the usual "hard hard does it feel" or "how much do you need to hang onto your free boots deal" grading estimate.

It's a good yardstick but shouldn't be the sole basis for grading something new.

abarro81

• forum hero
#16 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 08:46:27 pm
Especially for boulder problems.. I certainly find if I take a grade just above my flash limit on boulders that means doing it in anything from 2-3 tries to spending 5 sessions on it and still failing to do multiple moves!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#17 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 23, 2015, 09:06:48 pm
On the other hand his new 9b does sound rather cool: http://www.lizardclimbing.com/index.php?id=372

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 09:28:10 am
Worlds hardest Boulder problem? Fuck off

benno

• menacing presence
#19 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 11:20:31 am
In fairness to the guy, in that blog post he does reasonably clearly say it's not as hard as anything else that gets given the same grade, and he's trying to reverse the trend for (what he sees as) overly modest grading at the top end. He's being berated more for being included in this thread by someone else than as a result of his own actions, it would seem.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#20 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 11:45:51 am
Climber release chock statement “I found that grade bands seem wider at my limit”

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#21 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 11:46:36 am
Surely this is one for Jens to stick his oar in too?

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#22 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 01:52:34 pm
In fairness to the guy, in that blog post he does reasonably clearly say it's not as hard as anything else that gets given the same grade, and he's trying to reverse the trend for (what he sees as) overly modest grading at the top end.

I've wondered about this, why bouldering grades seem to have become stuck at 8c with great reluctance from all parties to admit to anything harder. Its the new English 6c.

rodma

• forum hero
#23 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 03:34:03 pm

can't tell what angle and what's more, for no good reason, both are edited, so no clean footage.

those crimps look tiny regardless of angle though

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#24 Re: World's hardest boulder problem??
November 24, 2015, 04:59:27 pm

I've wondered about this, why bouldering grades seem to have become stuck at 8c with great reluctance from all parties to admit to anything harder. Its the new English 6c.

Also called the Nicole-limit. Up to 8C progress was easy, and done by repeating various Nicole-testpieces around the world.

There is also the chance that very little real progress has been made in the last 10 years. It's not uncommon in sports: for instance the world high jump record is more than 20 years old, and equaling the world record from 35 years ago would still win you almost all big high jump competitions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal