UKBouldering.com

Great Zawn (little orme) fixed rope (Read 2145 times)

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Great Zawn (little orme) fixed rope
September 12, 2015, 09:07:19 pm
Can anyone please tell me how you ensure your fixed rope for the top pitches of the routes on great zawn hang in the correct position to reach them from the top of the main pitches?
Cheers.

Potash

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Great Zawn (little orme) fixed rope
September 13, 2015, 06:10:40 pm
Luck. I have been down there twice and climbed Quitus. One person needs to descend the grass slope to the top of the abseil in whilst the other person abseils a distance down the rope you are fixing to pull out with.

The person watching (with the guide and topo) can shout or signal to the person abseiling to get them in the right place. They then climb back out up the rope having positioned it. I dont think they went all the way down but going down a bit helped.

The abseil bolts are really really poor but can be backed up if you take the time to explore in the grass. Quietus was good. The Hole of Creation above offers light relief.

petejh

• forum hero
#2 Re: Great Zawn (little orme) fixed rope
September 18, 2015, 09:00:50 pm
I replaced the wank old troll abseil bolt with a chunky glue-in last autumn. Andy - if take a 70 or 80m (can't remember) ab rope you can just ab to the base of the cliff, clipping it in ot the top of the route as you pass. This has the added beenfit of allowing you to ab back in from the top of the pitch to do another route(s), pulling out after the last route.

Potash

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Great Zawn (little orme) fixed rope
September 19, 2015, 09:48:26 am
Good work replacing that old bolt. I suppose the added benefit of your method is the abseil rope hanging down the route for when it gets bold. 

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#4 Re: Great Zawn (little orme) fixed rope
September 21, 2015, 07:14:15 am
Cheers Pete. That sounds like a sensible option.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal