UKBouldering.com

Tignes Mountain Biking (Read 4397 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Tignes Mountain Biking
August 11, 2015, 10:28:06 am
Just come back from a long weekend biking in Tignes and was really impressed with both the standard and range of trails to go at. Even better that the lifts are free, you just need to pick up a pass from the tourist office.

Most of the area is above the tree line so not great if the weather is bad but you could probably find more sheltered aspects depending on which way the weather is going as there is riding facing most directions. There is also some nice variety in the riding, from smooth bike park berm riding to more rocky technical trails and some interesting moonscape type features off Toviere down towards Tignes le Lac. More information and trail map here http://www.tignes.net/en/summer-sports/the-mtb-area-1034.html

Final bonuses are that there are enough non-riding things to do on or round the lake for the family, and even summer skiing or boarding on the glacier (though it was in terrible condition this year due to the heatwave), and you can always combine with a day or two riding at Les Arcs.

Highly recommended.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 11, 2015, 11:22:52 pm
Opinion for a DH  bike, with 6 days of riding?? Cheers...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 11, 2015, 11:32:42 pm
Not my thing, but Meribel looks good for that too, 3 telesieges in operation over summer, not free though.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:03:50 am
I think there's enough to keep you busy there for a week, especially if you combine with Les Arcs fatdoc. There were still trails I'd not ridden at Tignes and rode there for two of the three days out there. If you don't mind a bit of climbing/pushing too there are enduro trails to go at too, widening the scope. Plus there are some unofficial trails off Toviere down to Le Lac which look very good (between the chair and gondola).

If you add in Les Arcs there is enough to keep you busy for more than a week, on of the lads I rode with had been out there for two weeks and wasn't bored of it. The black at Les Arcs by the funicular is tasty too.

I rode my Specialized Status for the week and wouldn't have wanted to be on less of a bike as the descents are much longer than those at say Les Gets, the runs down to Val D'Isere are getting on for a km vert per run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:03:50 am
I think there's enough to keep you busy there for a week, especially if you combine with Les Arcs fatdoc. There were still trails I'd not ridden at Tignes and rode there for two of the three days out there. If you don't mind a bit of climbing/pushing too there are enduro trails to go at too, widening the scope. Plus there are some unofficial trails off Toviere down to Le Lac which look very good (between the chair and gondola).

If you add in Les Arcs there is enough to keep you busy for more than a week, on of the lads I rode with had been out there for two weeks and wasn't bored of it. The black at Les Arcs by the funicular is tasty too.

I rode my Specialized Status for the week and wouldn't have wanted to be on less of a bike as the descents are much longer than those at say Les Gets, the runs down to Val D'Isere are getting on for a km vert per run.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:04:21 am

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:05:39 am
  Sorry, dodgy phone signal double post

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:07:26 am

Not my thing, but Meribel looks good for that too, 3 telesieges in operation over summer, not free though.
lots of resorts are opening up trails in the summer to get their share of the biking traffic. For me it's a great thing as the standard of trails is getting better and resorts which were previously complacent as to trail maintenance are having to up their game.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#8 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:22:41 am
Not sure what trails accessible from Courchevel-side telesiege but main lifts to summit at Tougnete allow descent back down to Meribel or over other side towards Menuires/Val Thorens.
http://www.merinet.com/lift-system

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#9 Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 10:36:23 am
Not sure what trails accessible from Courchevel-side telesiege but main lifts to summit at Tougnete allow descent back down to Meribel or over other side towards Menuires/Val Thorens.
http://www.merinet.com/lift-system
It depends if they let you on with a bike or not; not all lifts are set up to carry bikes even if they're running in the summer, so they'll not let you on. Also depends what the trails are like off the top. If there aren't man made purpose built bike trails then all too often you end up rattling down steep bouldery fireroad or pistes which frankly isn't much fun. What you really need is wheel width single track trails or goat tracks to follow.

Edit, looks like there is quite a bit to go at based on info here  http://www.merinet.com/biking

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:41:32 am by bigtuboflard »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#10 Re: Tignes Mountain Biking
August 12, 2015, 01:23:33 pm
Haven't been up Courchevel-side lift but both sections to Tougnete summit carry bikes, lots of bikers up there. Know there are dedicated trails, didn't look into how many.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal