UKBouldering.com

Where to boulder in Europe in winter? (Read 3195 times)

Nacho Toranzo

Where to boulder in Europe in winter?
July 27, 2015, 12:47:06 am
Hello,

I was wondering if some of you guys might be able to help me...

I am from south America and travelling to the UK with my gf to her parents house in the Peak District from Dec 26th until Jan 31st. I know I can boulder in the peaks (and have done before) but given the time of year not sure how much and I would also like to take the opportunity to go and boulder for a week somewhere else in Europe. I really want to go to Font but have been told that the weather might be awful...Does anyone have any recommendations of good places to go for this time of year?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Nacho.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Hi Nacho,

I expect the weather is as likely to be awful in the UK as Font. I have bouldered in Font end of Jan/beginning of Feb and had excellent conditions in the main.

Good luck!

gingerninja

• menacing presence
what about spain? plenty of rock to choose from, good weather and guessing you will know the lingo too.

andy_e

• forum hero
Things could go either way. You could have five days of glorious winter gritstone weather, or you could get five days of shite. It's quite likely that you'll get a mix of both however and you should be able to fit at least some climbing in!

Have you thought about Switzerland? Cresciano could be in good conditions in winter.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
I've never been but I've heard Albarracin in a good bet around that time, with more stable weather than in the UK or Font.

tomtom

• forum hero
One of the problems of being further north (UK/Font) is that the days are only 8 hours long or so at that time of year.. head south?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I had a great week in font over new year a couple of years ago. We were lucky with weather.

It rained most nights but open areas like bas cuvier dried out by 12 most days.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Things could go either way. You could have five days of glorious winter gritstone weather, or you could get five days of shite. It's quite likely that you'll get a mix of both however and you should be able to fit at least some climbing in!

Have you thought about Switzerland? Cresciano could be in good conditions in winter.

Surely January is over 5 days long?

A trip south sounds like a good bet to me.

andy_e

• forum hero

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Albaracin may also have snow, but surely it must be one of the safest bets at that time. Should be able to find plenty of cheap flights in mid January as well.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
My thoughts too.

andy_e: 5+31 = 36 :shrug:

andy_e

• forum hero
 :slap: For some odd reason I read it as Dec 26th - 31st. That's still 6 days. Ignore me, I need more coffee...

cha1n

• forum hero
I was in Albarracin that time last year and got snowed off but it's not too far to travel to La Pedriza if you do get snowed off. El Cogul could keep you entertained for a little while too.

Nacho Toranzo

Thanks a lot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal