UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club week 284 20th July - 26th July 2015 (Read 23802 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Hope you enjoyed Grand Wall Simon.

STG: OS E3. Navarro-Rabada, Naranjo de Bulnes.
MTG: E5 by end of September. 7b by end of year.
LTG: Long hard (for me) rock routes in the Alps, Dolomites, Picos and Scotland. 7b+ RP.

M - Shoulder routine. Step-ups.
T- Westway: aerobic capacity (10mins on /10mins off x 4). Good session.
W - Shoulder and hip routine.
T - Westway aerobic capacity (10mins on /10mins off x 2). Foot slip down-climbing and wrenched my right arm. Elbow increasingly sore. Fukityfukfukfuk.
F - Step-ups. Hip routine.
S - Short run.
S - DIY.

Frustration! Elbow is still sore today and in 7 days time I’m supposed to be climbing 18 pitches. Unfortunate timing, I’d negotiated an unprecedented 4 days off in the UK to warm-up for the trip too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Sun: Morning surf in obscenely cold water

You don't know cold.

kelvin

• forum hero

You don't know cold.
My mate Joe reckons Cape Town winter waters are bitter but it's hard to imagine.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Quite close to the Antarctic? I can imagine how cold that might be.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Hope you're maintaining a suitable pastry to wine consumption ratio... ;)
Not sure about ratio but certainly getting a decent quantity :-)

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

andy_e

• forum hero

Don't know about your planet, but on Earth, 2,500 miles is considered quite a long way  ;)

Duma

• forum hero

Don't know about your planet, but on Earth, 2,500 miles is considered quite a long way  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benguela_Current

The water's pretty cold west of the cape. That said, no idea how it compares to Aberdeen.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

You don't know cold.

It has been very, very cold for some reason - far colder than usual. Usually I can get away with an hour and a half or two hours with a 4/3 and gloves (and I have a decent tolerance for the cold) - neither of my last two surfs have lasted more than an hour and I've been miserable throughout.

It's not Scotland (or Iceland), but then again I'm not kitted out for it either - it's just unseasonably cold for Cape Town.

kelvin

• forum hero

It's not Scotland (or Iceland), but then again I'm not kitted out for it either - it's just unseasonably cold for Cape Town.

If you're a climber and a surfer, I guess you know Joe Mohle?

Dolly

• forum hero
A shit knackering week - working late every night with deadlines and plenty of stress.

M 10 easy routes at The Foundry in 25 mins at lunchtime
T 10 easy routes at The Foundry in 25 mins at lunchtime
W Gym core before work
T Foundry Furnace board
F
S Fucked but went to Nuda's Tartan. Did Slab Happy and The Scenic Route. Meltdown looks the one to do there, but I think you might need a spot. Just happy to climb outside really. Got drunk with Seb in the evening which went from a quick pint in the Broadfield, to cocktails at mine, to staying for dinner with wine, to making Martinis in the shed to Seb falling in the pond. Both laughed our heads off.
S Bit Hungover

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Hope you enjoyed Grand Wall Simon.

:2thumbsup:

Great day out. Tommy enjoyed it too - didn't get wigged out anywhere. Its been 8 years since I've done this sort of climbing  :o 

We were behind a slowish team of three Japanese climbers but that meant it was unrushed and more enjoyable.

I found the Split Pillar harder than the 11a pitches.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Sat sounds quality dolly!

webbo

• forum hero
Mon. Nothing.
Tue. Board did a project I've been trying for a few sessions, then sort of ground to a halt.
Wed. Board lapping problems mainly with screw on feet.
Thu. Bike 1 hr intervals.
Fri. Nothing.
Sat. Board did a few new problems I worked out, then repeated a couple of things in a couple of goes that took a session to repeat a couple of months ago. Bike 61.95miles pretty hilly 3 hrs 48mins.
Sun. A bit hungover. Bike 25.95 miles 1 hr 35 mins quick blast before it pissed down.

Dolly

• forum hero
Sat sounds quality dolly!

It was great :)
The perfect antidote the week before

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
In the spirit of not missing a week...

Had some weird bug, felt super tired and heady. Getting little sleep due to the little chap which isnt helping la situation.

Nothing apart from
Saturday: 2 pull ups, stopped as arm hurt
Sunday: 2 x 10 pull ups

The only positive (climbing wise) is I've lost weight, no idea how.

Well done everyone else. Keep up the good work.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

If you're a climber and a surfer, I guess you know Joe Mohle?

I do, although isn't he in Swizzy at present?

rodma

• forum hero
M: fa
T: long wall session. Shamed into training hard by the local strong youths, I utterly destroy myself over several hours.
W: weights
T: early morning campus pre long weekend away, which commences with food poisoning type bug, so get an amazing abdominal workout that I'm still sore from today
F: sick/sleep
S: feel marginally better so get some sunburn
S: feel shit again

kelvin

• forum hero

Yeah - been over a couple of times and caught up with him. He's a strong lad! I met him in Morocco when he was on some MCSA tramping thing a few years back... he's the reason one of my long term goals is climbing at Kleinwinterhoek. Gotta be done at some point  :)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
M - rest
T - Bouldered comp problems from saturday.  If I had gone I would have won based on todays climbing :), then FB and deadlifting.  Deadlifted 3x330, and could have done more, so still at 2xBW max...  Soccer game
W - 121(pryamid up and down to 11)  x pullups, squats, and pushups
Th - Soccer game - hatrick :)
F - 5 hr hike with wife.  Nice day out
S - casual bike, drink and concert
S- f-all

very poor diet and training week overall, tuesday was good, but the rest of the week was not so good.  way too much to eat and drink, and too little exercise. 

Severely lacking motivation. - hence the powerclub post on wendesday. 

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

Yeah - been over a couple of times and caught up with him. He's a strong lad! I met him in Morocco when he was on some MCSA tramping thing a few years back... he's the reason one of my long term goals is climbing at Kleinwinterhoek. Gotta be done at some point  :)

He is a strong lad, and a really good dude. Kleinwinterhoek seems like a good aspiration, if you're into that kind of thing :) Let me know if you ever make it out here.

SA Chris

• forum hero

You don't know cold.

It has been very, very cold for some reason - far colder than usual. Usually I can get away with an hour and a half or two hours with a 4/3 and gloves (and I have a decent tolerance for the cold) - neither of my last two surfs have lasted more than an hour and I've been miserable throughout.

Midwinter here I'm in a 6/3, 7mm lobster gloves and boots, thermal hooded rashy. To be fair though, once in the water for a bit I am toasty, and session usually ends due to fatigue from paddling around with all that on rather than cold. Getting out and undressed is a challenge though, but a van helps. Been snowed on a few times in the water, quite surreal. Cape Town west side of the Peninsula does get cold, but still not the same league. East side always seems a good deal warmer.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Been snowed on a few times in the water, quite surreal.

Been snowed on in a heated outdoor pool, but I suppose that's not really the same

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
M:
T: Almscliff, evening session. ticked DWR ear variation 7B+ and DWR left hand 7C. Also linked the last section of Exorcist long, following a recent meeting with Jon Pearson who highlighted lots of holds I'd never seen before.     
W: Spent 30 minutes massaging my forearms by repeatedly rolling them over a pestle. I never knew my forearms ached in so many places, it was agonising (in a good way).     
T: Almscliff, evening. Tired, arms felt useless following the massage.
F:
S: Exploring. Went to Thruscross, very disappointing/couldn't really find anything. Escaped to Snowden crag, ticked a few 7s. Had a brief play on The Brock and Energy Crisis, both now on the list.
S: Rain, Depot. Wanted to train power, but I was too tired, so just milled around.

As always I would love to start a rigorous training plan, but I'd much rather go outside as often as possible, which is currently 4/5 times a week (first world problems...). I've toyed with the idea of supplementary fingerboarding, but I'm always too exhausted from being outside. Something about having a cake and eating lots of cake??

I know you like training and all but you mention the word "tired" quite regularly throughout that post, and I seem to remember you mentioning "the usual day-to-day all-body fatigue" when we were at the Satellite.
Would you get more benefit from your sessions and avoid long term injury by incorporating more rest into your schedule? Or even spending the occassional session on the rock doing some easier mileage (you can call it conditioning if it helps) or trying lower grades on problems that aren't in your typical style?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Been snowed on a few times in the water, quite surreal.

Been snowed on in a heated outdoor pool, but I suppose that's not really the same

You're right it's very not really.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

You don't know cold.

Midwinter here I'm in a 6/3, 7mm lobster gloves and boots, thermal hooded rashy. To be fair though, once in the water for a bit I am toasty, and session usually ends due to fatigue from paddling around with all that on rather than cold. Getting out and undressed is a challenge though, but a van helps. Been snowed on a few times in the water, quite surreal. Cape Town west side of the Peninsula does get cold, but still not the same league. East side always seems a good deal warmer.

Yeah, it doesn't compare but it's not like I'm in boardies either. That said, even the east side of the peninsula was cold a few weeks ago. It's odd.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal