UKBouldering.com

UK men who have bouldered >=8B recently... (Read 203829 times)

Orrincoley

• player
    • Orrin Coley Climbing Adventure
Alex Waterhouse did New Base Line 8B+ last year. So needs a bump up. He's also Done Meadowlark Lemon but I think that's considered 8B now.

remus

• forum hero

Bradders

• forum hero
Noticed Greg Chapman is missing for Walk Away at Fairy Steps.

remus

• forum hero

Trail

Rob Hunter needs a bump for FA of Blondie sit to 8B+ as per the UKC article today

Bradders

• forum hero

remus

• forum hero

monkey boy

• forum hero
Are Michael Duffy and David Fitz not included because they are Irish?

Also Tom Greenall has climbed Mintberry Crunch (8A).

User deactivated

• stalker

Guess that's why they aren't in.

8B is the requirement for the boys Dave.

Possibly worth thinking about removing Ropes and maybe Keen since i'm not sure either is really regarded as 8B now? Anyone?

monkey boy

• forum hero

Possibly worth thinking about removing Ropes and maybe Keen since i'm not sure either is really regarded as 8B now? Anyone?

Oh yes!! Idiot!

I think Michael and David should be on the list. Thoughts?

I personally thought Keen Roof was 8B, Ropes might be low end but I've definitely done 8B's that were easier for me.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:04:19 pm by monkey boy »

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

:worms:

Doylo

• forum hero
Si Moore did Nuthin but Sunshine and I think one or two others. He’s Northern Ireland so it counts  ;)

User deactivated

• stalker

Oh yes!! Idiot!

I think Michael and David should be on the list. Thoughts?

I personally thought Keen Roof was 8B, Ropes might be low end but I've definitely done 8B's that were easier for me.

Ropes is 8A+ in the upcoming guide if that's worth anything. Yeah i've done 8Bs that were easier for me too, so it is a tricky one. Probably had 20 ascents though now, and a lot have said soft. I just find it hard to see it as the same grade as a lot of the 8Bs I've tried.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Ropes is 8A+ in the upcoming guide if that's worth anything.

Didn’t we just get a new N Wales bouldering guide?!

remus

• forum hero
Added Si Moore in https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_boulders.md

As has been said, no Duffy or David Fitzgerald as they're Irish. Bit of an arbitrary rule, but gotta keep the list under control.

Im going to leave Ropes and Keen Roof in at 8B for the moment, the UK needs a few more 'soft at the grade' problems :lol:

Doylo

• forum hero

Nearly sold out...

User deactivated

• stalker

We did yes, out of print I believe. Mad when people made do with the one before last for so long, but hey ho. It's compeletely different too, one book each for the coastal and hill stuff.

Im going to leave Ropes and Keen Roof in at 8B for the moment, the UK needs a few more 'soft at the grade' problems :lol:

Not sure about this but will leave it with you, having 8B mean almost anything in the Uk just seems mad to me sometimes. I'm also not that convinced UK grades are that hard at all really. Certain areas have soft and hard things, like anywhere.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Let's stick to the remit of this thread. Jackpal can start his own list of UK men who have climbed problems that he thinks are >8B.

User deactivated

• stalker
Yeah fair do's. Was just my ponderings. Like I said I found Ropes tricky, took me a few sessions, I just took what seemed to be becoming the consensus, or so I thought. I'll leave it with those more experienced to figure out what's what. Do you think an ascent of ropes is similar to Aidan's ascent of Shallow Groove or someone doing little women though?

Just wondering Remus how did Will get on with Dandelion mind?

remus

• forum hero
Yeah fair do's. Was just my ponderings.

Thanks for your input, always appreciated Jack. To be fair I agree they may well be soft or 8A+, I'd just prefer to wait for the call to be made elsewhere rather than using this list to do it.

Just wondering Remus how did Will get on with Dandelion mind?

I haven't got any inside knowledge, sorry!

User deactivated

• stalker
Pleasure as always Remus, suppose I was just using the occasion to highlight how messed up I think the grading is at the top end. I mean look at poor Varian right below a proper punter on the list haha. I couldn't dream of touching any of those thing's he's on the list for. I know he's head and shoulders above everyone else but does everyone else know that? Same for Aidan, do they just see Shallow Groove 8b and think 'oh that's like someone doing Ropes/Keen/Fat lip' or whatever.

Will didn't do Dandelion for the record.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Let's stick to the remit of this thread. Jackpal can start his own list of UK men who have climbed problems that he thinks are >8B.

To be fair to Jack, the current consensus is that Ropes is 8A+. That's what it will get in the next edition of the NWB guide.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Grades are a complete cluster. Each problem is so different and each person is so different. Even if you just take 8A+-8B near Ropes you've got a complete mix. Malc's, Dead and Bloated, Pools, Wedgie Wall, Mr Fantastic. Obviously Ropes isn't the hardest but it isn't the easiest either.

Regarding Keen I think it's more opportunity than it being easy. It's very easy access and it's in ok condition a lot of the year, it's always going to get more ascents than other's of the grade in the Peak.

remus

• forum hero
To be fair to Jack, the current consensus is that Ropes is 8A+. That's what it will get in the next edition of the NWB guide.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've trimmed Dom Bridgwood, Oli Grounsell and Luke Fletcher from the list https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_boulders.md

If anyone know any other 8Bs they've done I'll add 'em back in.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Dom has done Keen Roof and Luke has done Dead and Bloated and also the FA of Mr Spantastic which he gave 8B.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal