UKBouldering.com

UK men who have bouldered >=8B recently... (Read 203846 times)

remus

• forum hero
Excellent knowledge as per https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_boulders.md 100 wads on the list!

Much as I'd like to add Ian in an honorary capacity Im not the queen, so unless someone can dredge their memory for some Vickers waddage he's off the list for the moment. Apparently Mandala is considered low V12 these days, though there's been some hold breakage so could be a contender if somebody wants to make the case? In the spirit of fairness I've also struck Anaesthesia from it's place next to Gaz Parry's name.

Seems like the consensus for Fragile Steps is 8A+ these days?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Just out of interest, what are we classing as recently?

I was thinking we could start a new list, one I could maybe get one. UK men who have watched someone else boulder >=8B recently.... 🤣

Ironically I haven't seen anyone do it, but I reckon I've got more chance!

remus

• forum hero
The thread title is out of date, it's all time now.

Originally it was 'last 5 years' but it's a pain from a list building perspective as you need to know the date and the list needs constant maintenance to make sure people dont sneak on there.

User deactivated

• stalker
Robins either wants bumping to 8B+ or Dyer dropping to 8B. They've both done Silk cut but ended up in different lists. It could be 8B I'm really not sure, just seems daft to have them in different places on the list for the same problem. That said I doubt it's the hardest thing Pete did in the cave and he was just a bit shy in giving the other ones he got the FA on a higher number, he isn't exactly renowned for chucking around big grades. If I ever repeat them I'll be in a position to offer my view on the grades of them.

There are people missing still, maybe they are controversial ones and that's why they haven't been mentioned, or maybe it's just an oversight.   :shrug:

remus

• forum hero
Good spot Jack, I've bumped Pete up to 8B+ for silk cut. https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_boulders.md

If there's people missing feel free to mention them, more than happy to add them (or explain why they're not on the list already if there's a reason).

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
Thanks for the update. Getting close to the 100 mark, currently at 98 if you include a couple of question marks towards the end. Any dark horses hiding in the woodwork who might tip it?

https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_boulders.md

Peter Wilkinson has done Fragile Steps.. a couple years ago

That got the DG.

:slap:  :whistle:

Still a slashy in the new guide and a lot of climbers have taken 8B for it, apparently folk are now using a different hold to the original.

User deactivated

• stalker
Ok I'll go there since others haven't. Ellis Butler Barker for one, I don't think it's any secret that some of the things he claimed were doubted but he has vids of some stuff, an 8B named Occam's Razor for example, it is a low start to a Mike Adams problem at ash hole.

Who knows what happened with the other ones, probably only Ellis, but this one he climbed in what looks like one shot to me and the grade he proposed is 8B.

User deactivated

• stalker
Oh and Jamie Cassidy, first ascent of Directors Cut, pipping Malc in the race.

Bradders

• forum hero
Ellis Butler Barker

He came up a while ago in the thread. Decision was made not to include him  ;)

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
Mat Wright has recently climbed both Serenity at Impossible Roof & Keen Roof at the tor (though he's suggesting 8A+/B for that).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btq_F-qhq5y/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuCdhEPBuxo/

Chapeau! :beer2:

T_B

• forum hero

Ellis:  :worms: indeed. Lots of doubt over the FAs. Does fatman even exist any more? I've heard doubts over Dark Matter too (Ellis' ascent, not the problem itself). Verdict: gonna leave him off for the moment. Happy to add back in if there's unequivocal evidence.

FFS you have Max Milne on there with an unconfirmed 8B+, seems a bit churlish not to put Ellis on the list. The guy's a beast.

remus

• forum hero
Ok I'll go there since others haven't. Ellis Butler Barker for one, I don't think it's any secret that some of the things he claimed were doubted but he has vids of some stuff, an 8B named Occam's Razor for example, it is a low start to a Mike Adams problem at ash hole.

Who knows what happened with the other ones, probably only Ellis, but this one he climbed in what looks like one shot to me and the grade he proposed is 8B.

A friend of mine has repeated a few things at Ash Hole and was very skeptical of grades claimed. Im prepared to be convinced otherwise if there's opinions or consensus otherwise.

remus

• forum hero
FFS you have Max Milne on there with an unconfirmed 8B+, seems a bit churlish not to put Ellis on the list. The guy's a beast.

There's no doubt that Max has climbed the things he says he has climbed. I'll take him off the list if his line gets repeated and downgraded to 8A+.

On the other hand there is plenty of doubt around what Ellis has climbed. He's obvioously a beast, but that doesn't make you an 8B climber. I'd actually be really psyched if there's a video of him on a confirmed 8B (or harder), but at the moment all we've got is unconfirmed grades or unwitnessed ascents.

remus

• forum hero
Thanks for the updates as per https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_boulders.md

Jamie Cassidy is on the list. Mat wright was on there already but I've added his recent ascent of Keen Roof.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I guess if Ellis was on the Lettuce team he’d get a bit more leeway!  ;D

Doylo

• forum hero
Stop hating on the geez.

Bradders

• forum hero
I guess if Ellis was on the Lettuce team he’d get a bit more leeway!  ;D

Yeah but if he were on the Lettuce team there'd also be a bazillion social media posts about his dedication and an overly edited video of his ascents.  :lol:

User deactivated

• stalker
Ellis Butler Barker

He came up a while ago in the thread. Decision was made not to include him  ;)

Cheers Nick. Well spotted, I either missed that or forgot about it. I do think it's a little strange he's omitted with some of the inclusions.

Anyway I'll offer another one up, Chris Davies.

Also bulbhaul or whatever the link is called, is that 8B?

andy_e

• forum hero
Yes. Shit, is Dan Warren on the list?!

Bradders

• forum hero
Now there's a point, if Bulbhaul is 8B then Andy Jackson needs including (he says 8B/+ on this post but I'm sure I spoke to him about it and he said it didn't actually feel much harder than Keelhaul which is consensus 8A):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT2THfJj-yl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1h3ackv92ap6h

Either way, I honestly think that's one of the slickest ascents I've ever seen. He just flows through every move. Awesome stuff.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I note from his instagram he's just done another eliminate at the cliff. Superb work!

Yossarian

• forum hero
Yeah, I was going to suggest him. He’s pretty handy when I see him at the wall down south...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I note from his instagram he's just done another eliminate at the cliff. Superb work!

Are there any eliminates already at Almscliff then? :)

36chambers

• forum hero
Now there's a point, if Bulbhaul is 8B then Andy Jackson needs including (he says 8B/+ on this post but I'm sure I spoke to him about it and he said it didn't actually feel much harder than Keelhaul which is consensus 8A):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT2THfJj-yl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1h3ackv92ap6h

Either way, I honestly think that's one of the slickest ascents I've ever seen. He just flows through every move. Awesome stuff.

he does start 2 moves in though :worms: (although I have no doubt he'd cruise it anyway)

The original method for bulbhaul might be 8B, but I doubt the high heel beta gets that. I personally find the bulb with the high heel easier than the keel.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah

There's no doubt that Max has climbed the things he says he has climbed. I'll take him off the list if his line gets repeated and downgraded to 8A+.

On the other hand there is plenty of doubt around what Ellis has climbed. He's obvioously a beast, but that doesn't make you an 8B climber. I'd actually be really psyched if there's a video of him on a confirmed 8B (or harder), but at the moment all we've got is unconfirmed grades or unwitnessed ascents.

Tb just posted a video of him adding 7 moves into a problem that Mike Adams thought was 8a+.  If that doesn't make the cut then quite a few folks need taking off the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal