UKBouldering.com

British Bouldering Championship 2015 this weekend in Sheffield at Cliffhanger (Read 70641 times)

Duma

• forum hero
If you get the Periscope app and follow @liamlonsdale it archives all his transmissions (or whatever they're called!).. So they should all be there.. Inc finals.
Just done this and can't see anything, any tips for a luddite?

Duma

• forum hero
BMC_Comps appear to be the ones to follow on Twitter. Mentions it was being filmed for bmctv.

tomtom

• forum hero

If you get the Periscope app and follow @liamlonsdale it archives all his transmissions (or whatever they're called!).. So they should all be there.. Inc finals.
Just done this and can't see anything, any tips for a luddite?

After following Liam on periscope - look at his profile and click recent:

Duma

• forum hero
I don't get the recent tab? Just following and followers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
winners "1st Shauna Corset".

Wish I'd watched it now. Change from vests.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
What I also don't get is how a keen talented guy with a phone can be the only available source of coverage of the country's premier bouldering competition. Can anyone enlighten me why there appears to be no support or interest from the BMC (if it is them who organise the national champs?) in providing coverage? Given it appears that decent coverage can be achieved for the price of a tripod and a pay-as-you-go contract it seems odd not to bother.

Ill ask.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Given it appears that decent coverage can be achieved for the price of a tripod and a pay-as-you-go contract it seems odd not to bother.

I wonder what contract he's on as that will have been a significant chunk of data to stream and could be worth switching to if its not too expensive.  :P

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
What I also don't get is how a keen talented guy with a phone can be the only available source of coverage of the country's premier bouldering competition. Can anyone enlighten me why there appears to be no support or interest from the BMC (if it is them who organise the national champs?) in providing coverage? Given it appears that decent coverage can be achieved for the price of a tripod and a pay-as-you-go contract it seems odd not to bother.

Ill ask.

Alex - got back to me very swiftly on the Marketing.

In terms of what was done surrounding and to promote the event:

-   The standard article - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/british-bouldering-championships-2015
-   A promo article - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/hot-competition-who-to-watch-in-the-british-bouldering-champs-this-weekend
-   2 page mention in Summit magazine as part of Cliffhanger
-   Round-up news: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/landman-and-coxsey-crowned-new-british-bouldering-champs
-   Instagram photos throughout, including winners on podium
-   Facebook gallery
-   Being filmed for BMC TV – out soon.
-   Facebook and twitter the week before

Normally there’d be a pre-publicity article, and some social media a few weeks out but there was were a few other draws on Officer's time at the time such as the lead up to the Nepal Charity Auction (which finished the same weekend and raised 24K). For the future, there are plans to have someone allocated for major BMC events purely running the social media, pre, during and post event.

With regard to the live feed Rob Adie, Comps Officer is on holiday so I cant ask him - it may have been down to cost.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Just for clarity, the wall for Cliffhanger was paid for by Sheffield City Council, along with all the associated stuff like warm-up facilities, changing areas, isolation area, toilets, power, etc. This is all stuff that has to be paid for and put in the park several days before the event and then covered by full-time security people to stop the public climbing about on stuff. Sheffield CC also supply the mats and all the wall building materials. I don't know what the total cost of Sheffield CC's investment was in this competition, but I would imagine they get very little change out of £30K....

The BMC didn't pay any money to Sheffield CC to support the event other than supplying their comps officer to run the BBC event and paying their route setters. The BMC also provide the climbing holds (which are donated by sponsors). Obviously they also rope in a raft of volunteers to judge, brush holds, look after competitors and make sure they are in the right place at the right time, etc, etc.

From the BMC's point of view, they get a free facility in the park in the midst of a busy outdoor festival to hold their national championships and publicise themselves. Tom's earlier mention of the BMC pumping money into the event is not correct.

petejh

• forum hero
Thanks for the info Si and Percy. So what you've described looks like the premier indoor bouldering competition in the UK is not financially well supported by the BMC - an organisation whose reasons for existence (and taxpayer funding & subs) are 'to support climbing' (and mountaineering and hillwalking).

It sounds like the BMC did carry out a fair amount of publicity work; except no live stream - arguably the most important bit. If someone from the BMC was being paid to film it then it could have been live streamed, as Liam demonstrated.

I realise 'climbing' is a broad church (with a leaky roof), but it still seems odd that the BMC appear to be lacklustre with their support of our only national open bouldering comp. I don't even really care that much about the comp scene, but if I were a competitor or coach I think I'd wonder what the BMC's role was, and whether it's fulfilling it by not stepping up to the plate to provide significant funding nor bothering to live stream the event.

Percy, 'full-time security company' whatever... Instant cost-saving = plenty of climbing bums would be quite happy to spend a few nights dossing on the mats for 'bargain-bargain much cheapness'. Or more logically - run the comp in a pre-exisitng climbing wall (with doors that lock and alarms and everything) instead of a custom-built (i.e. expensive) temporary marquee in a public park...

Is there really not a suitable indoor wall in the UK prepared to run this event over a weekend for significantly less than it costs to set up a marquee in a public park during a trade-show? I smell Sheffield-centric cliques at work.

It's lucky that Sheffield City Council are prepared to financially support the BBCs.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Sheffield centric cliques at work? You're out of your mind Pete. Getting climbers to police the wall at night by dossing on mats? You're out of your mind Pete.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I wish there was an organisation that could unite all the walls in the UK and might be much better placed to organise such competitions. But I reckon, such an organisation should:

A: Be way more receptive to new members and not insist on ridiculous and protracted entry/aspirant times...

B: Seriously look at it's membership costs and realise it might serve the community far better if it wasn't a "big boys only" club.

C: Actually appear to offer something more than a window sticker...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three Nine

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero
Why, do you not believe the event took place unless you see the vid?

Three Nine

• forum hero

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I wish there was an organisation that could unite all the walls in the UK and might be much better placed to organise such competitions. But I reckon, such an organisation should:

A: Be way more receptive to new members and not insist on ridiculous and protracted entry/aspirant times...

B: Seriously look at it's membership costs and realise it might serve the community far better if it wasn't a "big boys only" club.

Did you have an organisation in mind?

www.abcwalls.co.uk

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing

No, but I'd like to see it.

I couldn't go to the event, and am keen to watch it.
For a national council, tasked with promoting the sport of climbing, it seems a bit :shit: to take over a week to put together footage of the national bouldering competition.

Local wall competitions don't take that long, and they don't have a specifically hired person to do it.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Did you have an organisation in mind?

www.abcwalls.co.uk

Ah! They would do, don't you think?
Surely a far better group to organise indoor climbing competitions?

I know that was not their original remit, but still.

That would be something I could get behind.

Three Nine

• forum hero

No, but I'd like to see it.

I couldn't go to the event, and am keen to watch it.
For a national council, tasked with promoting the sport of climbing, it seems a bit :shit: to take over a week to put together footage of the national bouldering competition.

Local wall competitions don't take that long, and they don't have a specifically hired person to do it.

Yeah it sucks balls - i'll have lost interest by the time they get round to it

Duma

• forum hero
Given they only just released the Vid of the junior camps that happened on 27th June, I wouldn't gold your breath

Durbs

• forum hero
Is there really not a suitable indoor wall in the UK prepared to run this event over a weekend for significantly less than it costs to set up a marquee in a public park during a trade-show? I smell Sheffield-centric cliques at work.

It's lucky that Sheffield City Council are prepared to financially support the BBCs.

I remember watching one round of the BBC's at the Outdoor Show in ExCel (London) - I wonder if they (the BMC) are keen to put the comps on as part trade shows to get non-climbers interested, which is part of their remit.
If it was held at a climbing wall, it would mostly only be climbers that went to see it, though it would be significantly cheaper...

As a parallel, of the IFSC World Cup events - how many are held at climbing walls? Toronto is the only one I think? The rest are in public spaces, presumably to capture the non-climbing crowd too and generate more interest in competitive climbing.

cha1n

• forum hero
About as disappointing as the Foundry competition video where moon won. Glad I watched it live!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

Yes of course there are walls that have the facilities to host the BBC in front of a couple of hundred spectators, just like 2014 when we hosted the BBC.

But the idea is to have the BBC in front of a few thousand spectators hence it needs to go to temporary wall with lots of room for spectators.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal