UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club week 281 29th June to 5th July 2015 (Read 15983 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Whats Rowtor Rocks like anyone? Never been but looks ok if not a mantle fest in the guidebook.

Not sure it'd be my first choice of summer grit venue. More limited than the Roaches or RHS, quite sheltered so could be midgy and/or shady, never been in summer so not sure.  Quite an interesting place though, sure younger kids would enjoy exploring for an hour or so and apparently the pub does really good food so could be an excuse to have a quick look.

tomtom

• forum hero

used loratidine for years and then it just stopped working. Been in citrizine for the last 7 or so and it works good enough to enable me to live a fairly normal life.

If Clarityn/loratadine "just stopped working" it might have "just started working again" - why don't you try it again?

Picked up some loratadine a few weeks ago in desperation having been unable to find Beconase in the available shops. I'd stopped taking it years ago as it didn't work anymore - it now seems to work just fine again. Cetirizine knocks me sideways, not really an option.   

Not a lot to report the last two weeks, I'm not sure I've actually made it to the wall. If I did I didn't do much. Too hot, too much work, too tired, etc.

I've had two days at Wallsend on Realm of Chaos (nice fight AJM, good job), getting some decent links, now waiting for good enough conditions to string it together.

One day at the Cuttings on Hall of Mirrors. Sometimes I can get stood up on the jug... usually I can't, and I just can't figure out what's different  :wall:

I think it's just going to be a case of getting through the next couple of weeks and fitting in what I can.

Beconase seems to be stocked in most Tesco Metro's if you're ever short on some.. (Found by my own running out scrambles for the next fix..)

petejh

• forum hero
STG: The Brute (by 6th Sept); Diamond proj 8a/+; Detritus Wall trad proj; G.Orme trad proj.

Pottering easy base week. Another to follow with some strength mixed in. Enjoying the shuffling.

Pete - I'm intrigued. Given that Diamond season starts potentially 2 or 3 weeks from now, the Brute is a PE route and you have a cut off date of 6 Sept, I would have thought you'd be hammering the AeroPow at the moment? Then topping up your power with some bouldering? Prior to getting on it. Or do you just intend to get fit on the route? It's a lot longer than the Oak, isn't it i.e. the endurance end of PE?

Yep, Diamond season starts around July 25th, depending on exactly when the Kittiwake colony departs for distant oceans. *I'll update on here when they've left (Elfyn updates the BMC site but he was on holiday last year when the birds left).

As you noticed, I'm behind the curve I'd ideally be following for a PE route proj. Ideally I'd have an 8 weeks training phase leading into July 25th, but time's short. Btw, I don't think in terms of an/aero/cap/pow - I tried that language for a short period last year and I don't benefit from this framework any more than framing energy systems more simply by thinking of it in simple terms of endurance and PE with PE on a scale of high intensity/short duration to low intensity/longer duration. It doesn't matter about the science behind the terms as long as you know what works for what climbing scenario.
This is my thinking for trying to squeeze in the brute:

1. I'm on the up, first 8b sent quickly following a proper focussed 9-week training phase in the spring. I'm banking on having more confidence and the physical gains I made coming back more quickly than when I was trying my first at the grade.
2. I'm naturally strong and naturally unfit. I'm already strong enough in the fingers and burl-wise; and PE is easy to train and any gains manifest themselves rapidly. I'll need to train PE on the route and supplement with some foot-on campussing. Leading up to the peak I'll train a bit of finger strength and plenty of power (campussing).
3. Two weeks of base mileage is a treat to myself becasue I haven't climbed anything this year.
4. I won't be trying the route until 1st week of August so that gives one more week of fun mileage (weather..), and I'm blending into finger strength this week; then three weeks of strength blending into power for the last two weeks of the strength phase. Then blend power into the first week of trying the route and blend PE into trying the route. So yeah I'm merging one phase into another and it isn't optimal but as long as I don't overdo it and injure myself I figure I can accelerate the process a little 'just this once' and probably have a shorter peak as a consequence.
5. My other projs are long endurance ('cept the g.orme one, fierce little twat).

Dolly

• forum hero
M Worked late. Kettlebells outside when I got home
T Worked late. Did 10 easy routes top roped at the Foundry at lunchtime
W Bulgarian Bag and Kelltlebells outside before work. Didn't work late.  Sat outside in the evening shirtless drinking pink fizz and swearing at anyone who came within 10 feet of me. Had a great time
T
F Played cricket on a full sized pitch with 11 players for the first time in 29 years at Abbeydale. Loved every minute of it. I wasn't completely shit either.
S Ached from cricket. Shed session in the morning. I'd forgotten how hard and how good it is
S Sky ride Sheffield with 12.5 year old. Rode part of way there as well. Surprisingly fun

Another week with 2 much work

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
M: Aero Cap - 25 mins, Antags and stretching

T: Aero Cap - 25 mins, Antags and stretching

W: Castell Y Gwynt - First time at the crag, awesome place. Went down the wrong death gully on the approach in a storm and rain. Finally found the crag and it stayed dry. Bad conditions but got on Hidden Sign (7b) classic line. Did all the moves and did it from the deck to the no hands half way up but too greasy for a proper effort. Feel like I'd need more fitness to complete the steep upper section.

T: Aerocap - 15 mins - Antags and stretching

F: Chapel Head Scar - Did 2 6a's 6b, 6c (2nd go) and got super pumped and died my death on Tufa King Hard (6c) felt really unfit and not that inspired by the place. Sandbag grades too...

S: Rest - Tons of Armaid-ing and stretching

S: Rest - Tons of Armaid-ing and stretching

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

webbo

• forum hero
Mon. Nothing.
Tue. Bike intervals 20 secs on 40 secs off x 6 3 sets.
Wed. Bike 33.20 miles 2 hrs 3 mins.
Thu. Board struggled with heat just did laps on things.
Fri. Nothing.
Sat. Board.after warming up just lapped things. Bike 33.20 miles 1hr 57 mins.
Sun. Bike 75.27 miles 4 hrs 34 mins including a fair few hills up to 20%.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal