UKBouldering.com

FAO Si Panton (Read 5436 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
FAO Si Panton
October 08, 2002, 10:29:36 pm
Simon,

What's with these vids I found tucked away? Were they ever published anywhere?

snowdoniatv

dave

#1 FAO Si Panton
October 09, 2002, 08:59:06 am
does the "greenheart conection" vid produce an error for anyone else?

good stuff though, that one of big jim soloing left wall makes it look easy - tempted to solo it now. Isn't bravado a wonderful thing?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 FAO Si Panton
October 09, 2002, 10:16:44 am
Only watched the Porth Ysgo one so far...must be recent though coz Ben M talks about Cypher.

Matt P? looks well strong - that Incredible Shaking Man looks wicked....and the first move looks hideously powerful.

dave

#3 FAO Si Panton
October 09, 2002, 10:32:33 am
I don't think the first move is too bad - i did this move early this summer, but then couldn't do the next couple, they are still quite hard.  Didn't help that it was 100deg neither. I think its a cool problem though, can't wait to get back there. Also The Truth sitting will be a go-er.

On that vid some bird does a problem which i think we did, i think its Higginson Scar V4??? maybe, if i remember rightly, its class.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 FAO Si Panton
October 09, 2002, 10:40:27 am
Yeah, 'tis Higginson's Scar, and the thing Ben does is the 2nd ascent of a V9, can't remember the name....

I'd like to go back there - last time I was extremely hung over from a stag do in Beris....

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#5 FAO Si Panton
October 11, 2002, 11:29:19 pm
Al Hughes approached me early this summer and asked me to help him out with a new website idea. I guess he wanted to showcase happening events in the N Wales area (be it bouldering, mountain biking, or whatever).
What you've seen is the first round of films; funds permitting, more should follow soon.
The problem that you see Ben top out on is Pet Sounds, a killer V8+ first ascended by Sheffield lad, Pete Robins.
I'm considering dropping TISM sd to V7. What do people think?
Cheers, Simon.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 FAO Si Panton
October 14, 2002, 10:14:55 am
Watched the rest of them yesterday - I thought that the intros, and the people talking about the problems were the most interesting bits and makes a nice change from pure climbing sequences.

Some of the filming of the problems left a bit to be desired though (although some was great too). In places you see people launching for holds out of shot, etc, and the camera moves about much too much sometimes. Also, on some of the shots of people talking, eg the Simon Panton intro down by the lake, the lighting is really odd, and you can't see peoples eyes, or they're having to squint into the sun, etc.

The V6 at Angel Bay looks pretty horrendous with that mono-move!

dave

#7 FAO Si Panton
October 14, 2002, 10:23:28 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
In places you see people launching for holds out of shot, etc, and the camera moves about much too much sometimes.

Just like Stick It then!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 FAO Si Panton
October 14, 2002, 10:37:41 am
Yes, but much worse! The worst offender is the "Greenheart Connection" footage where the camera is in much too close. Having said that, it's easy to criticise video footage and am only just starting to realise how hard it is to shoot good film.

Despite Stick-It's shortcomings, it's still my favourite bouldering film - nice vibe, good choons and not too serious. Lots of people rate Rampage as the best but I'm not so sure. I like it, but the whooping and power screaming does my nut in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal