UKBouldering.com

The Decline and Fall of UKB (Read 30595 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#75 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 02, 2015, 04:42:07 pm
this forum was ruined when someone let slip that some moves are easier for the tall

a dense loner

• forum hero
#76 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 02, 2015, 05:03:52 pm
No it was the day the tall denied it!

tomtom

• forum hero
#77 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 02, 2015, 05:07:51 pm
What is this 'tall' concept? I've always thought there were normal people and shorties..

Doylo

• forum hero
#78 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 02, 2015, 06:12:01 pm
The decline of UKB is the blank screen that comes up every other time I click on a new page  :furious:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#79 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 02, 2015, 06:54:09 pm
If your tall then you have the option to make yourself shorter whereas being short is more prohibitive choice wise. Just for clarity I'm 5'11" with a plus 2 ape index so I've really no excuse for being shit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#80 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 03, 2015, 09:59:22 am
Plus side of being short is you have short arms too, so it's not so hard to dry your eyes with a tissue.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#81 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 03, 2015, 10:07:34 am
Is this the time to mention Brown and Whillans?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#82 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 03, 2015, 12:49:32 pm
yeah

UKB was much better before those two stumpy twunts came along and forced political correctness and health and safety upon us

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#83 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 06:51:09 pm
Thought this thread could do with resurrecting now that Dan has filled half the active threads with brain dumps. Might as well chronicle the demise of a once-great forum.

JCorbot

#84 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 07:48:11 pm
Hey Ben, I’ve been reading the forum since it’s inception and noted most of its phases. I’ve contributed a fair amount over the past 6 years including a fair few indie films / media etc and some well read threads. I’ll admit to a few ‘brain dumps’ but let’s face it this forum has been quite dry for a long time. There’s several reasons for this, change in culture, change in audience, the rise of Instagram etc, posters who were more controversial leaving for various reasons, controversial threads being pulled, and the list goes on. If I have played any part in the demise of ukb with my brain dumps I’d be curious to know what the exact figures are for engagement with threads I’ve started? Also as you’re linking me to the demise of ukb I’d be interested to hear what your opinion is on the demise too? Cheers.

JCorbot

#85 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 07:51:31 pm
Also at what point in living memory was this forum great? It was quite a good read when it was the climbing equivalent of 4Chan, as long as you weren’t caught in the crossfire

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#86 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 08:03:41 pm
I like UKB, posting and reading. I also liked Shartyarseblast's earlier philosophical discourses too.

Not sure why it's a bit drier than usual but maybe it is the rise of social media? Then again my FB is drier than a nun's minge.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#87 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 08:30:31 pm
The recent stuff you’ve been posting Dan is just lost on me. I’ve not paid it much attention really, but it seems fairly divisive. Each to their own I say.

Like many things, UKB has been in vogue then not, then back in, then not etc.

I have been a faithful member for 13 years, but although I check the site daily I very rarely post. I haven’t been able to climb for years due to injury, which probably has added to my lack of interest.

I’m probably going to sign off permanently soon anyway, I think the time has come. I have fond memories of UKB, and have met some top folk through the site, seen some brilliant videos, and heard some awesome tunes. Plus the gooDADvice thread has been great, as well as the cheese on toast thread.

I wish you all well UKB crew, chow!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#88 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 09:54:05 pm
Sorry to be negative, but the amount of drivel posted by JCorbot/Dan//Sharty/whoever is getting a bit tedious.

petejh

• forum hero
#89 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 10:31:15 pm
 :agree:

My opinion: give it rest Dan FFS. You're clogging the forum, and then clogging it more with attempts to explain and apologise. I get the impression that hardly anyone on here gives much of a shit about your project because we've all got better things to be getting on with than paying it much attention. Some of it was fun and edgy, most of it was a tedious load of bollocks. Leave UKB in peace to be boring, staid and dry - we'll survive. Maybe just post occasional, quality, satire because some of your shit IS funny. But give the soul-searching attempts to justify and explain a rest it's fucking tedious.

JCorbot

#90 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 11, 2019, 10:39:30 pm
👍

Murph

• forum abuser
#91 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 07:40:56 am
The only thing wrong with UKB is you Dan. I would be reluctant to even ask the forum a simple question again as the last time I did you tried to take the thread down with loads of capitalized bollocks. Not even powerclub is a safe space. I wish there was a downvote button that would make your threads disappear.

Can you just leave us alone please?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#92 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 09:24:33 am
JCorbot deactivated at users request

Edit. Sorry should have included an apostrophe there to make it “user’s”. To be clear it was Dan who requested the account was deactivated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:56:44 pm by shark »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#93 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 09:34:32 am
Thank fuck for that

grimer

• forum hero
#94 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 09:50:53 am
Is it safe yet?

Some of the above is a harsh expression - well, slightly harsh - well, not that harsh - version of how I felt too. I stopped looking at UKB because of Dan and his experiment. Good luck to him, as as someone said above, he was someone I enjoyed's imput. I hope he finds the right medium for his creativity and that that answers some of his questions. UKC Maybe?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#95 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 10:32:16 am
JCorbot deactivated at users request

Have you blocked his IP address too?

"...I say we take off and nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure..."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:54:25 am by tommytwotone »

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#96 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 10:46:59 am
I thought it was just me. I have been trying to avoid reading posts relating to this. Feels a bit harsh but it was spoiling reading UKB for me.

gme

• forum hero
#97 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 11:03:09 am
Ditto. I pretty much stopped reading everything other than significant repeats thread and if I looked at anything else I thought might be interesting it lost me within a few posts.
Dans managed to turn it into the cliche “boysclub” it was always accused of being with most of its members gradually  dying out.

I don’t think these kind of places are being totally replaced by social media, much more detail on here. Insta etc just fast food. The youngsters will migrate away from there usual haunts as they get older and want more depth so we need to keep these things vibrant, inclusive and on task.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#98 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 11:12:26 am

I always have this clip to hand for whenever anyone posts spider stories on Facebook. I gotta watch Aliens again at some point, so classic.

Dan's stuff never put me off, I likes almost all the philsophical pondering and some of the ufkc piss-taking too (especially Nigel Hard Very Severe). I didn't think appearing on someone's own thread was a good idea, nor creating a spoof account, and have told him as much. I think a weird satire of climbing culture is a good fun idea (like The Thing but more warped) but I don't think the "performance art" meta-presentation on here worked nor did him any favours. Sobeit.

I'd quite like him back as normal Dan chatting about philosophy plus a single discreet thread for updating uckf counter-culture. But, whatever.

I agree with gme about keeping things vibrant, inclusive and on task. At the end of the day, we all like bouldering and climbing and most of us like discussing it and chatting shit about it.

Gritter

• menacing presence
#99 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 12, 2019, 11:52:34 am
I've lurked on this forum for years, the only thing left of interest is when Jon posts new problem lists. The people whinging about Dan's attempt to do something a bit out of the box seem as dry as a nuns chuff IMO.
I liked what Dan was trying to do even if it was a bit confusing, I felt it still had relevance.
It was more enjoyable than most of the the mundane drivel in here.
 :jab:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal