UKBouldering.com

UK Women Who've Recently Climbed >= 8a (Read 110763 times)

rosmat

• menacing presence
Ruth climbed Zeke when I was 18 years old, I'm now 42 .......

Kingy

• forum hero
There's an ascent on there from 1995. What qualifies as 'recent'?

Yes I would vote to remove 'recent'. Surely there is no time criterion involved

remus

• forum hero
There's an ascent on there from 1995. What qualifies as 'recent'?

Yes I would vote to remove 'recent'. Surely there is no time criterion involved

Agreed. Original question was "...within the last 5 years", but it feels a bit arbitrary and the list isn't that long so might as well aim to make it comprehensive.

Kingy

• forum hero

Agreed. Original question was "...within the last 5 years", but it feels a bit arbitrary and the list isn't that long so might as well aim to make it comprehensive.

Nice one, nothing like a good list!   :clap2:

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
If time isn't a criterion, should we also add Rachel Farmer then? Also think that Lucy Ellis has climbed Raindogs...

remus

• forum hero
If time isn't a criterion, should we also add Rachel Farmer then? Also think that Lucy Ellis has climbed Raindogs...

Punterish level of historical knowledge here...but what was Rachel's hardest route? There's some pics knocking around of her trying Chouca but can't remember if she did it. Other than that it was Raindogs wasn't it?

Kingy

• forum hero
Maybe the level has improved so much that it should start at 8a+ or even 8b? As a parallel, nobody would think to try and list males who have climbed 8A and above these days but there is a thread on this from 10+ years ago.

That would remove the need to go delving into the early 90's for 8a's. In 5 years time, the 8a list will be far too big anyway.

Duma

• forum hero
I think while the total's under 100 then no need to increase the cut off - tbh how many 8a's from the 90's are there?

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
Remus: not sure tbh, I'd just assumed Raindogs was her hardest because I hadn't heard of the first female UK 8a+... Come to think of it, I have no idea who were the first British females to climb 8a+-8c! Like with Rhoslyn's 8a+ flash, is it worth adding "first's" next to the relevant climbers name?

Let's just start the list at 9a and be done with it  :devil-smiley:

Doylo

• forum hero
First 8a+ - Ruth Jenkins -Caviar. First 8b Ruth Jenkins - Zeke. First 8b+ - Lucy Creamer - Kalea Borroka (I think).

Kingy

• forum hero
Gwyneth Uttley has climbed Pren Nota and Cider Soak, both 8a, recently according to UKC

remus

• forum hero
Ben, hmm let's leave it at raindogs then.

Added notes etc. and new people.

https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKWomen8a/blob/master/table.md

Teaboy

• forum hero
If we go that far back then don't we need to add in Fliss Butler, Naomi Guy and probably others.

remus

• forum hero
If we go that far back then don't we need to add in Fliss Butler, Naomi Guy and probably others.

Done. Any idea which routes they did?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Alison Cowley - Johnnie Walker 8a (Calames, 1999).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:49:52 am by duncan »

remus

• forum hero

Teaboy

• forum hero

Done. Any idea which routes they did?

I'm pretty certain FB did Statement at LPT but am much less sure about NG, probably best not to take my failing memory as gospel.

Durbs

• forum hero
Imogen "Honda" Horrocks - The Hatchling 8a (https://twitter.com/ImogenClimbs/status/1010649389499600896)

Duma

• forum hero
this list is for 8a not 8A

Durbs

• forum hero
Ah yes - hence Chuffing section.

My bad.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Ah yes - hence Chuffing section.

My bad.

An equivalent bouldering thread does exist

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26077.75.html

Stabbsy

• junky
A couple of older ones - Anne Arran (Cauchemar de Elephant) and Airlie Anderson (Reve de Papillon).

Also, an old friend of mine, Helen Dudley - can't remember the route/routes, but reasonably sure she did one BITD. Might have been something like Coliseum at Rodellar.

Finally, not really UK but how about Mary Jenner/Birkett. Did Bleed in Hell which is meant to be about 8a. After all, Silvia Fitzpatrick is in the list.

remus

• forum hero
A couple of older ones - Anne Arran (Cauchemar de Elephant) and Airlie Anderson (Reve de Papillon).

Also, an old friend of mine, Helen Dudley - can't remember the route/routes, but reasonably sure she did one BITD. Might have been something like Coliseum at Rodellar.

Good knowledge, added them to the list.

Finally, not really UK but how about Mary Jenner/Birkett. Did Bleed in Hell which is meant to be about 8a. After all, Silvia Fitzpatrick is in the list.

A mega effort, but not really sport.

Silvia: She's down for "4 8as in 2014", any clarification on that? She'll have to be excised from the list if it's not accurate  :coffee:

Stabbsy

• junky

A mega effort, but not really sport.

Silvia: She's down for "4 8as in 2014", any clarification on that? She'll have to be excised from the list if it's not accurate  :coffee:

Silvia’s from Argentina. Mary’s from SA. Both live or lived in the UK. I was commenting on the UK nature of the list, not the 8a bit. Think Silvia did Lourdes amongst others.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
It's a good list. Would be interesting if you could add the year of ascent, or maybe just decade if that's too tricky.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal