UKBouldering.com

The Orbit (Read 15930 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
The Orbit
May 02, 2015, 07:27:45 pm
Well, what was the after dark nightclub in Morley burnt down last night and what's left is going to be demolished. Don't think it's been open for some time but still made me a little bit sad [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: The Orbit
May 02, 2015, 08:36:35 pm
😣

Did a streetview drive by about a month ago.  So dismayed  that soneone wanted to jump on the "posh flat" bandwagon. Failed miserably.. shut down and vacant a year  or two later  and low and behold... once the budlia has got a hold it mysteriously  burns down and our collective  insurance policies  go up by a penny or two. 

Wonder how lucrative it would have been  now  as an international mecca for techno.

So pleased to have witnessed  the madness.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: The Orbit
May 02, 2015, 08:56:34 pm
It's hallowed ground Tim :)

Yeah, we were lucky enough to be part of one of the best Techno clubs in the world at that time.

I just wish that Ian was still here to reminisce with us; I'll always associate The Orbit with him.

Here's a nice little set of pics I found a while ago: http://jameslangephotography.com/welcome-2/clubbing/the-orbit-morley-1994/

And this:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:15:57 pm by Bubba »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: The Orbit
May 02, 2015, 09:03:43 pm
That laser was Ace back in the day.the sweat dripping down off the ceiling not so good but what a club. A sad day

richieb

• menacing presence
#4 Re: The Orbit
May 02, 2015, 09:53:50 pm
I went to the Orbit just the once, on New Years Eve. Might have been 1997.
For someone who was more used to indie gigs and the odd megadog, it was an experience.
I think it was the only time I ever went to Morley. And I grew up in Leeds!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#5 Re: The Orbit
May 03, 2015, 11:17:29 am
It's hallowed ground Tim :)

Yeah, we were lucky enough to be part of one of the best Techno clubs in the world at that time.

I just wish that Ian was still here to reminisce with us; I'll always associate The Orbit with him.

Here's a nice little set of pics I found a while ago: http://jameslangephotography.com/welcome-2/clubbing/the-orbit-morley-1994/

And this:

Definitely Mike, one of the best clubs around. And same as you, always put the Orbit and Ian in the same sentence. 

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: The Orbit
May 06, 2015, 09:59:08 pm
Just saw this on FB

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: The Orbit
May 06, 2015, 10:22:44 pm

Just saw this on FB

what a depressing photo. That spot up on the balcony was my preferred location for tune spotting as got an uninterrupted view of the decks from there. Always stopped short of taking a notebook though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamT

• forum hero
#8 Re: The Orbit
May 06, 2015, 10:32:11 pm
wow,  I always thought it would have changed beyond recognition.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: The Orbit
May 08, 2015, 12:32:31 pm
Purportedly an Aphex Twin set from the Orbit in 1992 (need to register on site, currently has one person seeding but I'm grabbing a copy and will seed too).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: The Orbit
May 08, 2015, 02:52:29 pm
Get it much quicker here: https://soundcloud.com/corecracker/aphex-twin-orbit-morley-leeds

Aphex is famous for actually making people cry when he played the Orbit. This was in the days of nicey-nicey piano hardcore and he came along with his devil-music and messed with people's minds  :lol:

danm

• junky
#11 Re: The Orbit
May 08, 2015, 06:47:50 pm
I managed a couple of visits, each being extremely memorable. It was the first techno club night I went to and it blew my mind. I'd come over from the Lakes and wanted to visit Shipley Glen - I was sold the night on the basis it finished at 2am so climbing would be an option the next day. Needless to say we ended up at the Glen the next afternoon anyway, having had no sleep and just about managing to stop gurning. Awesome times.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: The Orbit
May 08, 2015, 07:50:43 pm
he came along with his devil-music and messed with people's minds  :lol:

related to this - the first time I heard a mix of "Mr Kirk, your son is dead" was very interesting. my name is Robert Cook and the lyrics sound like "Mr Cook, you have a son named Robert, Robert Cook?... Mr Cook, your son is dead" etc etc

dark, but interesting

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: The Orbit
May 08, 2015, 10:09:27 pm
Ha, bet that was a bit of a moment!

I was always a little uneasy about dancing along to that record after seeing one too many nasty drug-related incidents but I guess that was the whole idea.

Just for interest's sake, here's where that sample came from: https://youtu.be/haCqD9Ps0co?t=195  Quite a mental track.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: The Orbit
May 09, 2015, 12:57:02 am

he came along with his devil-music and messed with people's minds  [emoji38]

related to this - the first time I heard a mix of "Mr Kirk, your son is dead" was very interesting. my name is Robert Cook and the lyrics sound like "Mr Cook, you have a son named Robert, Robert Cook?... Mr Cook, your son is dead" etc etc

dark, but interesting

Fucking hell, I'd forgotten about that tune.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal