UKBouldering.com

Pembroke Range West - worth it? (Read 2097 times)

ali k

• junky
Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 20, 2015, 04:00:37 pm
Has anyone on here done any amount of climbing in Range West?

I'm currently debating whether to go to the briefing tomorrow to get access for this year. Considering I've only ever had 5-6 days in Pembroke and done very little (but plan to go loads this summer) is it worth my while? I live Bristol area.

Had a brief scan at UKC logbooks and nothing jumps out as a must-do like the rest of Pembroke. Is this just cos access is a ballache but there's actually miles of immaculate rock of similar quality to the rest of Pembroke? Or is it because it's a slightly inferior version?

Any info would be great  :great:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 20, 2015, 04:09:41 pm
I think if you haven't been to Pembroke much and still have a lot to go at on Range East then there isn't much point. This was my reasoning for not going to the briefing last year (and this year)

TFIPS  :bounce:

Thank Fuck Its Pembroke Season

ali k

• junky
#2 Re: Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 20, 2015, 04:27:49 pm
Yeh I've not heard much about it apart from that it's adventurous and no-one ever climbs there. Which would normally be great but Pembroke is such a long way from anywhere and I don't go there for adventure, I just go to push it on nice clean sport-style trad...

T_B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 20, 2015, 04:41:57 pm
Are there fewer access restrictions in terms of firing? And how tidal is everything? I've been to a briefing before, but never got round to actually climbing there that year. But I have found you end up being restricted quite a bit by firing/tides in range east, so it might be worth it if you're in Bristol and plan to head over fairly regularly through the spring/summer?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 23, 2015, 09:38:12 am
Went to briefing when I lived in Bristol, never actally made it to Range West. Always though it would be a nice place to escape holiday weekend crowds, but usually just went to North Pembs for that instead.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 23, 2015, 04:04:50 pm
If you climb below HVS (I doubt this) it's great as, unlike the rest of Pembroke, it has quality easy routes.

Likewise E3 / E4- the vast majority of the 3 star routes in the book are of these grades. Many look outrageous!

It's a lot less adventurous now than it was before the photo-topo guidebook came out as you can both be sure of which route you're on and there's a good chance you'll see other people at some point during the day.

There are still a hell of a lot of barely-repeated routes though and many of the convenience elements that make Range East so good are missing. Whether you see this as a good or bad thing of not is down to you of course!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#6 Re: Pembroke Range West - worth it?
March 23, 2015, 04:08:36 pm
Are there fewer access restrictions in terms of firing?

Same restrictions plus you have to sign in and out every time you go.

And how tidal is everything?

There's less non-tidal stuff than Range East I believe. Last time I went (2013) high seas stopped me getting on virtually everything I wanted to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal