UKBouldering.com

UKB power club week 261 9th February - 15th February 2015 (Read 15259 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Luckily I have 20 years-ish of fairly obsessive climbing behind me which has probably pre-conditioned my body for the fact that I'm an idiot.
Anybody got anything useful to add?

Only that how you've progressed with fingerboarding is probably textbook how not to do it but it shows what we can achieve if we fully understand how our own body responds, rather than how it's supposed to respond.
The Ondra interview that was posted online yesterday - up to four 45min training sessions a day, with at least an hour's rest between each session and Fridays off. I've heard many a decent climber say it takes them at least an hour to warm up before they even start trying - and that's the thing, for them it probably does. Ondra obviously can batter a quick session out and his body responds. Maybe that helps his recovery, enabling him to train so often but whatever it is, he's worked out what's right for him.
Much like you on your fingerboard sessions.

Very true.  I read a blog recently by a guy who trained hardcore including finger boarding twice every day for a month.  He mentioned he had 3 rest days total in that time. 
Rather than get injured and collapse ( which would be how my body would respond to that) he got stronger and set loads of PBs. 

n=1 success.  We should all jump right on it.   ;)

Re: Ondra's session.  I haven't listened to the interview yet.  Did he talk about order or type of training in each 45 min session?  Your body retains a level of recruitment/warm-up for a period of time, so if most of the first session is warming up, then the second would only need 5-10 minutes of re-warming up to get into the swing of things. 

I actually think this ties in with what Nibs talked about in another thread.  He keeps his sessions short, intense and to the point, but varies the type of workout so that he's training almost every day.  I could see a similar structure for Adam, but more condensed and varied.  i.e. doing a FB, then a PE, then an Endurance WO in a day. 

kelvin

• forum hero

Re: Ondra's session.  I haven't listened to the interview yet.  Did he talk about order or type of training in each 45 min session?   

A session in the morning before school. One at lunch, followed by lunch itself and further school/study and then two sessions in the evening. That sort of thing. Sometimes two campus sessions in a day. There's a whole host of periodisation stuff he mentions but you'd listen to that with a different ear to me no doubt.
I've been messing around with session length a fair bit lately and slowly coming to the conclusion that short and sharp works best for me, along with rest days - which is pretty much what I was doing a year ago when I was actually starting to get somewhere.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Me too.  My FB sessions are about 1.25hrs, my campus sessions are about 1.5hrs total including warmup and cooldown

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal