UKBouldering.com

Headtorches (Read 12848 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Headtorches
February 17, 2015, 11:07:00 pm
Last thread on this was back in 2008 so worth something new since the market will have moved on.

My Myo XP has given up (known fault of cable connection to lamp box) and it is out of warranty. Really like the torch but was perhaps over specced for what I need it for (lamp sessions, late walk outs, the odd night trad lark, going into the loft) and cost something like 60 sheets which is more than I'd like to spend this time round.

I'm not opposed to sending off the headtorch for repair to Lyon (UK Petzl distributor i think?) but it could be expensive and technically infeasible.

Any recommendations?

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Headtorches
February 17, 2015, 11:08:37 pm
alpkit - cheap and effective

dunnyg

• forum hero
#2 Re: Headtorches
February 17, 2015, 11:18:22 pm
I bought a black diamond spot for about £35 a while back. Has been good for alpine stuff/scotch winter/general camping business and taking a shit when the light bulb broke in the bathroom and wasnt replaced for a monthish. Has a couple of settings most of which im not arsed about but the switching from "high energy spot light" to generic background light is pretty useful and it being regulated - ie not slowly fading but giving it all untill it stops is useful, as is the battery life indicator when you turn it on. Price might be a bit steep but should last foreverish. Battery life etc. pretty good.

Not sure how it compares too much too others but i'm pretty happy with it, its better than a petzl tikka I lost a while ago. I've got a petzl zipka too which is suprisingly good. Some people find the thin chord strap thing on those horific though, probably better suited to a back up.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#3 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 05:48:21 am
I have a Petzl Tikkina that I bought as a backup for a Black Diamond Spot. I lost the Spot soon after and have used the Tikkina for the last few years without ever feeling like I needed replace it.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 07:37:40 am
Have never felt the need for anything brighter (or heavier) than my Tikka XP2.

I do in fact possess a brighter/heavier torch, but only ever use it on the bike, never for climbing.

I bought a Chinese job for 4 Euros on Amazon. It's a very similar design to the Tikka, slightly brighter, works ok, has a gasket on the battery compartment etc. Generally seems fine. Am not quite ready to trust it with my life in preference to the Petzl just yet though.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#5 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 08:23:43 am
For this last winter of running, both on and off road, I've used a Cree Q5 500 lumen LED headtorch. At less than a tenner with delivery via Ebay, this has blown away my old Tikka XP2 both for clarity and versatility. May not be as durable long term as others on the market, and I've invested in rechargeable batteries, but bang for bucks...

If you can spare the time, use the search function on Fell Runner Forum, lots of threads on there by people who know there torches.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 08:34:53 am
All my night runs have been done with an LED Lenser, which I have found very good.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 08:54:17 am
Also bought a Cree off ebay for just 4 fuck-alls delivered (no batteries but I get about 2 hrs out of 3 AAA Duracells), not sure which model there are loads of options.  It's 2000 lumens vs the XP's 160 so much brighter. 

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 09:14:54 am
I don't doubt for a moment that the Chinese Cree jobs are cheap and bright.

But - and I appreciate that I'm probably putting an irrational amount of faith in a brand name - I firmly believe that my Petzl isn't going to fail when I'm in the middle of rigging ab station 10 of 20 having got caught out in the dark, thereby causing me to spend a night on a tiny stance and possibly killing me. The Chinese lamp might not either, but I don't *know* that yet.

This is a slightly different scenario than having a lamp pack in whilst running or biking and having to walk home.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#9 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 09:18:18 am
tikka for when you need a bit of light, cree for when you need lots.  not convinced about black diamond. I've only ever heard complaints (apart from above mention) that it's not as good as the petzl.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#10 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 09:46:36 am

But - and I appreciate that I'm probably putting an irrational amount of faith in a brand name - I firmly believe that my Petzl isn't going to fail when I'm in the middle of rigging ab station 10 of 20 having got caught out in the dark, thereby causing me to spend a night on a tiny stance and possibly killing me. The Chinese lamp might not either, but I don't *know* that yet.

This is a slightly different scenario than having a lamp pack in whilst running or biking and having to walk home.

Agree I wouldn't go into a situation like that either, there's also warnings about discharging the batteries fully screwing them up and of overcharging (a friend of a friend's set alight when he left it on charge too long - could be a one-off of course), so a few reasons for concern.  But Will wants it for lamp sessions at grit outcrops and doesn't want to spend a fortune so it seems a decent option for that.  The model I bought isn't rechargable so no concerns about setting the house alight at least.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:51:50 am by nai »

galpinos

• forum hero
#11 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 10:06:59 am
I've a BD Spot and would second dunnyg's comments. It's also in cool colours.  I'd also echo Meunchener's comments that the reason I bought and  use it is I trust it.

However, for the usage you've highlighted, Alpkit or the cheap Cree lights of eBay will give you far more bang (lumens) for your buck and you could I through loafs of them for the price of a Petzl/BD.

There are quite a few good reviews online that actually show the amount of light cast, the other channel did an ok one but I think it was Outdoorsmagic that dos the most comprehensive.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 10:40:07 am
For rechargeable-everything buy Eneloop type AA batteries and use them in everything. They're very cheap now.

Petzel Tikka/Tikkinas have a bit of a design flaw in that if you knock them, the light party of the torch can detach from the headband. During climbing this could be a problem (more of an inconvenience if bouldering).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 11:16:05 am
I'm not opposed to sending off the headtorch for repair to Lyon (UK Petzl distributor i think?) but it could be expensive and technically infeasible.
Same thing happened to mine and I contacted Lyon who responded as follows:
Quote from: Lyon
Thank you for your email. I’m sorry to hear of the problems with your Myo XP.

With regret, I am unable to offer comprehensive advice without a full inspection, which I am quite happy to do. A repair is unlikely, due to the sealed nature of the unit, but replacement under warranty a possibility. However, for your Myo XP to be under warranty, it needs to be within a 3 year period from the date of purchase.

While I understand that it may be difficult for you to verify this date with a receipt, I would draw your attention to the “date wheel” on the back of the head of the torch (see image).  This imprint will indicate the year and month of manufacture.

Given that it may take several months for an item to clear the delivery and storage prior to purchase, we assess each return on a case-by-case basis and endeavour to be very fair in this respect.

However, you need to be aware that the normal course of action is to return it to your retailer, as they may choose to replace it, or forward it onto us at their expense. If you return the product to Lyon Equipment, inspection will be carried out under the manufacturer's warranty, but as the product has not been directly purchased from Lyon, we cannot refund your postage. If the torch is found to be defective and covered by the warranty the product is usually exchanged with no cash alternative, or occasionally repaired if this is appropriate.

If it's less than three years old you may be in luck for a replacement. Mine wasn't so dismantled it myself but gave up and bought a new one when I saw how little could be user serviced.

Shame for an expensive torch. It would be hard to justify another Petzl when the CC crees are 1/10th the price, I think I'd either buy two or more cheap ones and carry a spare or if you can't justify the weight and need to rely on it get another Petzl or quality chinese one like a LED Lenser. The Petzl industrial ones are more bulky and expensive but undoubtedly tougher.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#14 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 11:49:01 am
Just in case you decide you want to blow some money on something awesome, this is what I'll be fell-running with tonight:
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/zebralight/zebralight-h600w-mkii.html

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 12:22:52 pm

But - and I appreciate that I'm probably putting an irrational amount of faith in a brand name - I firmly believe that my Petzl isn't going to fail when I'm in the middle of rigging ab station 10 of 20 having got caught out in the dark, thereby causing me to spend a night on a tiny stance and possibly killing me.

Given what Will has described he uses it for, this doesn't look like a likely scenario. The Cree I've got for my bike has a headtorch mounting option, and it's brilliant for general use as Will described, even though the cable and battery pack make it a bit awkward.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#16 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 12:39:52 pm
Thanks for the info everyone.

I've plumped for an Alpkit Viper one. At £14 delivered you can't really argue. If it's shit then I'll just chalk it up to experience and feedback here. For what I need it for it doesn't need to be mega-reliable and superbright, but the spot feature is useful for spotting footholds when lamping. Most of the mainstream brands are asking for more than double that (16xfuck-all for the BD Spot <> fuck all!)

That's very useful info about the Myo XP fault. When I spoke to Lyon on the phone I told them I didn't have a receipt so couldn't confirm when I'd bought it and they didn't mention anything about the date stamp! I will check it but am almost certain it is more than 3 years old.

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 12:41:44 pm
I bought the original Alpkit headtorch, apart from being a bit heavy by the time I came to replace it, I never had a single problem with it and it was plenty bright enough for my needs.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#18 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 12:45:30 pm
I bought the original Alpkit headtorch, apart from being a bit heavy by the time I came to replace it, I never had a single problem with it and it was plenty bright enough for my needs.

Come to think of it my mate had one of those headtorches and lent it to James Pearson when he onsighted Deathwatch so they can't have been too bad!

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#19 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 02:51:37 pm

Come to think of it my mate had one of those headtorches and lent it to James Pearson when he onsighted Deathwatch so they can't have been too bad!

Yes. Iimagine was the torch that got him up there. Either that or he's immensely talented.

danm

• junky
#20 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 05:10:39 pm
Last thread on this was back in 2008 so worth something new since the market will have moved on.

My Myo XP has given up (known fault of cable connection to lamp box) and it is out of warranty. Really like the torch but was perhaps over specced for what I need it for (lamp sessions, late walk outs, the odd night trad lark, going into the loft) and cost something like 60 sheets which is more than I'd like to spend this time round.

Any recommendations?

If you can find the date wheel on the Myo, see if it is less than 5 years old. When I used to work for Lyon we 'd usually make an allowance for up to 5 years from date of manufacture for warranty claims, to allow for time sat in the shop and distribution chain. Unless the torch has been obviously abused and is over 5 years old, you've got a fair chance - the Myo XP cable/battery box interface was always rather flawed. It isn't repairable like the good old Zoom, of which I must have repaired several hundred. I'm probably biased but I still rate Petzl's torches in general well above anything from BD or Alpkit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 05:15:58 pm
I've one of the original alpkit ones and it still works OK, but you can tell the LED's are a bit dated as its a bit dimmer than the newer offerings.

I also have one of their new range ones (with the powerful LED in the middle) from about 3 years back. Sadly the plastic around the case at the back broke when changing a battery (actually I was pinching one for my cordless mouse) meaning the lid no longer stays on.. looked like a bit of a design flaw to me. still it was £15 instead of £50...

I'll probably get one of those ebay jobs Nai was talking about - can't go too far wrong for a fiver...

Hijacking the thread a little - I have one of those new Alpkit jetboil copies.. works really well - though the jetboil bit feels a little flimsy - and whilst it packs small I suspect it will rattle about a bit and eventually scratch the inside of the mug when packed up. But for the number of times I use it (brewing up at the crag - rather than a life saving brew at 3000m on an alpine bivvi etc..) its perfect and £35 vs £100 etc... easy choice.. Happy to post up a larger review if anyone is interested...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 05:28:17 pm
dismantled it myself but gave up and bought a new one when I saw how little could be user serviced.[\quote]

That's weird, I repaired mine myself with little bother. I found a video on YouTube showing how to upgrade the led which was helpful, but basically it was a case of finding which end of the cable was corroded any the shortening it a bit. Works fine still, though it's now my back up and I use a Nao. Nice piece of kit, lighter than they look, will charge off the lighter socket in the car, but I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't have a trade account with Lyon.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#23 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 05:41:15 pm
I'll probably get one of those ebay jobs Nai was talking about - can't go too far wrong for a fiver...

tenner. 1FA = £2.50, non?

Just waiting for the gremlins to permit a chance to try out it's 7500 lumen big brother on a night-time mtb jaunt, bought it back in October but had pranged myself before it arrived.  Now that's a bright light.

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 05:42:54 pm
£5 on ebay inc postage...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal