UKBouldering.com

recommend me a walking boot! (Read 9748 times)

Scouse D

• forum hero
recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 04:24:34 pm
Eh up, I'm going up some Scottish mountains with my dad later in year (October) and realised I ain't got any appropriate footwear (dragons seem a bit technical)
anyone got any recommendations?  Preferably not over 150 notes
Ta las

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 04:32:10 pm
Swing by Foothills for some excellent, friendly advice.  Pretty essential to try shoes/boots out (unless of course you know exactly what you want already).

They sorted me out with an appropriate pair for trekking in Peru (2012) that are still doing fine for all the hiking I do in the UK (Italian brand called Zamberland at ~£130, but your feet and requirements may differ).

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 04:46:05 pm
I've got some leather Scarpas I still wear to get to the boulders in winter, they've taken some hammering especially when I did 6 months of steel erecting/access work in them too.

They were bought for me in 1986. A quality brand.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 05:21:47 pm
If you find yourself passing through Keswick (not an unpleasant circumstance to find yourself in) then I can recommend George Fisher. Speak to a member of staff they will measure you up and sort you out. Excellent customer service. The lady who sorted me out spotted that I had quite narrow feet straight away, listened to my budget and what I was planning on using them for and magically plucked the perfect shoes off the shelf. Tried a few other pairs on but nothing was as good.

They do good aftercare too I think if you have a problem with them later on.

Try and get yourself to an independent where the staff turnover is lower and people know what they're talking about. Finding a good pair of boots can be difficult or really easy with the right expertise.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 05:29:41 pm
Get some snide crocs, a couple of placcy bags and spend the other £145 on tinnys :)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 05:50:51 pm
Full leather+vibram+fit well is normally a safe bet with hiking boots.

Just a thought though - do you need hiking boots? A fell runner would do it all in highly porous running shoes. Many people find the middle ground of walking (or walking-suitable approach) shoes allows them to have an enjoyable time in non-winter conditions, and with less clomping. It does depend on the conditions and the speed you expect to move, among other things. But if you buy walking/approach shoes you can use them for loads of stuff. I have 3 sets of boots and rarely use any. Good for stomping through bogs, protecting from driving rain or fitting crampons to, but a lot of the time I'd rather be more agile.

dave

#6 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 06:02:50 pm
Go to foothills and get whatever fits best, get full leather, forget about specific brands/models etc. Also buy a couple of pairs of decent new socks at the same time, makes a huge difference to comfort. Last pair of Brasher socks I had were shite, get some Smartwool type ones

Boot wise I love my Zamberlan Ultralites

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 07:33:44 pm
Just a thought though - do you need hiking boots?

My thoughts exactly. I only wear boots these days if I'm expecting to be in snow most of the day, and then I go directly to full on stiff mountain boots. If there's no snow about I wear Inov-8 running shoes - although as Sam says, they do demand a certain tolerance for wet feet.

I own a decent pair of leather Scarpa walking boots but can't remember the last time I wore them, or imagine why I would.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 08:06:07 pm

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#9 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 08:25:15 pm
Surely you mean:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 09:58:50 pm
Don't feel you have to stick with full leather, I had an old pair of Scarpas that weighed a ton. Now got some fabric Goretex Meindls which have been amazing, lightweight, super comfy, waterproof etc.

dave

#11 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 09, 2015, 11:55:08 pm
Obi, I had an old pair of 4 season Berghaus boots that weighed a ton, but plenty of full leather boots these days weigh fuck all. Problem with fabric boots in the wet UK climate is they keep your foot dry only by virtue of the goretex liner, which yes keeps the foot dry, meanwhile the rest of the fabric boot gets drenched, takes ages to fully dry inside, stops breathing, gets heavier,  will eventually rot/decompose etc. Hence if you're paying any kind of decent money I'd get leather and look after it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 08:18:20 am
Jeez, it's 2015, I haven't worn full leather boots for years. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#13 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 08:23:24 am
If you and your Dad are fell running in the Scottish mountains then
       Buy some fell running shoes and wear with merino wool socks.
Else if you and your Dad are walking in the Scottish mountains and have extensive experience then
       Buy some goretex approach shoes
Else
       Buy some goretex walking boots approximately 1 size up from trainer size fitted in an appropriate shop whilst wearing thick walking socks.
End If

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#14 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 08:53:34 am
I've got a pair of Asolo goretex ones I bought when I went to NZ about 10 years ago and they are still excellent for regular use. They need f-all maintenance, lightweight and great ankle support. Come home wet on the outside get dumped on a shelf in the garage and then used the next time. Much preferable to leather IMO.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 09:43:16 am
Fiend was a little shy with his recommendation ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#16 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 09:56:43 am
Hideous mental image right there.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#17 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 03:34:29 pm
Ta everyone, popped into foothills but didn't take thick socks so couldn't get measured up(was reluctant to pay 15 quid for their socks just to get measured). The young lad tried to suggest that I needed 4 season boots, which automatically made me doubtful of his expertise.
Gonna go sports direct and try some on, they've got loads of decent looking 3 season fabric jobs for a lot cheaper than elsewhere including some highly rated asolo gore tex jobs.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 04:14:48 pm
Check Decathlon too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 04:44:17 pm
I do a bit of field work - and for general purpose clumping about I prefer fabric/synthetic boots rather than approach shoes/trainers.. For me the ankle support is good when moving over rougher terrain. Leather is probably a more durable option if you're getting out more often in damp/boggy/uk environments, but if its not too often then not sure its needed (and despite newer ones being better still weigh more than fabric ones)...

If its fairly heavy off track duty - scree's, lots of rocky areas I would reccommend the 4 season ones - they are really clumpy and solid - so provide little feel and can be uncomfortable to break in, but offer alot of protection and support...

Goretex liners seem better - but cheaper ones certainly work OK.

I know the lad was trying to flog you some £15 socks, but... decent socks also make a real difference.. Decathlog do some decent ones as well..

For me the fabric boots always break about an inch above the front of the instep - where the leather or synth bit is stitched to the fabric - for some reason that bit always creases/rubs/cracks/wears and busts first...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 05:01:39 pm
ere including some highly rated asolo gore tex jobs.

Sounds promising. Mine were eighty quid, half price at CCC. Felt like a bit of a gamble, but one of the best things I've ever bought. Use them at least twice a week.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#21 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
February 10, 2015, 09:15:02 pm
Got some scarpa baltoro Gore-tex ones from blacks for 100 sheets. Tried asolo but didn't fit as well and were more expensive.  Ta for all the advice.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#22 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
December 04, 2016, 04:11:19 pm
Bump this, in case someone has come across a real bargain. I've not had anything between my Scarpa Cumbre (full on winter Mountain), my old, old ASOLO Exped plastics (that I would still use for ice if I ever get out again) or 5:10 Guide tennie approach shoes.
I need a pair of good summer boots that won't break the bank (or even tickle it really).
Anyone tried the Karrimor boots from Sports Direct? Cheap as chips, but....?

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#23 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
December 04, 2016, 04:58:58 pm
I had a pair of karrimor approach shoes that cost around £35 and they were absolute shite. The rubber on the sole wasn't full thickness so when the nobbles got a bit worn down (3-4 months) it just exposed some sort of wadding (like cardboard) between the sole and the insole. Needless to say I wouldn't recommend. I've had a pair of Raichle Mountain Trail GTX boots for about 7 years now and they are unbelievably comfy and warm, I assume they're pretty hard wearing but can't compare them with anything as I've never had another pair! Maybe too warm for summer though.

T_B

• forum hero
#24 Re: recommend me a walking boot!
December 04, 2016, 05:03:33 pm
Isn't Karrimor now owned by SD and no longer a serious outdoor brand? I guess Go Outdoors would be somewhere to consider trying to find good value boots? Or  Decathlon?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal