UKBouldering.com

Snap Wrap Pad (Read 15496 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 03:43:51 pm
It had its first outing today at Brownstones..

1. It is heavy - but not crazily so... just noticablely heavier than my other pads.
2. It is large - worked well today as a 1 mat solution...
3. Its mouldable.. the blocks of foam inside it move about a bit to fit the surface below. This has postitives and negatives - it means no dead spaces to collapse when you fall onto it - but its probably not as good as covering large gaps on rocky landings as a solid foam pad - still good though...

4. Most importantly - whats it like to fall onto... well, it seems to be like it says on the adverts - soft to fall low on, and stiffer when you fall from higher up. I dropped from about 2/2.5m today and it felt fine.. was nice and soft on lower stuff too...

5. It seems well made - nice snap touches like the felt foot cleaner snap logo bit...
6. I'm not sure about the quilted bit on top.. This seemed to soak up the moisture from my (wet) boots today - so interestingly might be quite good for this - but conversely might stay dampish..

Sofar sogoody...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#26 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 03:47:57 pm
and what about sitting about between failures? how comfy is it to sit on?

could you have worked in a "safa, so good" pun at the end?

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 03:52:30 pm
and what about sitting about between failures? how comfy is it to sit on?

Its excellent - much better than a normal pad (softer)...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#28 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 04:27:52 pm
obviously I meant "sofa, so good"

(fat fingered twat that I am)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#29 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 05:01:02 pm
Cosy for resting on. Had a trip up to manor crag with the p'tit wrap and it's a great size for a lazy bastard like myself.

The Velcro shoulder strap closure is more solid than on the old brown pad bun I had, so hopefully it won't come apart and open out after a year of use (when carrying anything inside).

Only fell on to it from lowball shuffling and it was nice and thick/soft. Will test it out on some higher stuff soon :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 05:20:11 pm
How big is the petit wrap? Pas de dimension sur la website du SNAP...

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 07:50:41 pm
How big is the petit wrap? Pas de dimension sur la website du SNAP...

Just stumbled across the answer when perusing pads online...

open: 120 x 100 x 12 cm
closed: 100 x 55 x 31 cm

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Snap Wrap Pad
March 02, 2015, 08:47:19 pm
FYI wrap owners.. (wrappers?)..

I pulled mine apart out of curiosity this eve - and its made of nylon wrapped foam blocks with velcro around each edge... its soft velcro on two sides (ie north and east sides) and hooked velcro on the other two sides (south and west) so they can all stick together as one when inside the pad (I assume thats why this is the case..).

However, mine was not all put together in the same way - some were stuck in blocks of 8, some in blocks of 4 etc... so I guess it was lazily put together rather than deliberate (there was no apparent order to it).. so I've re-assembled mine so it all sticks together inside the wrapper if that makes sense... Might be worth checking yours - though its a bit of a velcro wrestle!!

Pic below...

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 05, 2015, 03:09:40 pm
A report 2-3 months in...

I'm a little concerned with the build quality...

First, I've a couple of mini-rips (near tears) on the top padded surface..

Second, I'm noticing a definite 'sag' or flattening around the fold area. I wouldnt mind if this came back quickly (ie 5-10 min after opening) but it seems to persist for a while. In other words, I'm not convinced by the quality of the foam inside the air blocks. They are not the main cusioning (its the air) but still need to have enough oomph to 'inflate' the mat correctly - and the are starting to not have enough oomph. I guess I could always:

I imagine the foam blocks to be quite useful in that you can shift them around if the foam gets tired in the centre of the mat.

But after only a couple of months of use this doesn't bode well for the longevity of the mat....

So I really like the mat (did I mention its quite heavy?) and its a pleasure to fall on - but only so far.... I hope its not a £200 crisp packet by the end of the year.

benno

• menacing presence
#34 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 11:33:08 am
I just had this email from someone at reception...
I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow... :)

Hi Tom

We’ve had what looks like a mattress delivered for you.

Caroline

:off: This reminds me of the the paramedics description on the handover form to A&E when my girlfriend bust her ankle up: "Jumped off a rock onto a mattress". Poor doctor was very confused.

Duma

• forum hero
#35 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 11:39:46 am
Mine's still fine, and no build quality issues yet, but I am pretty anal about keeping it open when not in transit (admittedly not that easy given its size...) the stupid strap length on the bottom still annoys me though.

Stubbs

#36 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 02:57:58 pm
Tom are you leaving the mat open when it's not in use? Have found in the past that this has drastically improved the life of taco style pads.

fried

• forum hero
#37 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 03:31:55 pm
Mines about a month old and fine. i'm a bit worried now because I have to keep it in the back of the car so it's always folded.

My only complaint about the pad is it's cumbersome rather than heavy, it's good when there's lots of stuff close together in flat areas, but in overgrown areas on the side of rocky hills it becomes a very expensive white elephant. I now have the additional dilemma of choosing which pad to take with me.

Obviously if it's fucked after 6 months it'll all be TTs fault and I'll be expecting some kind of reimbursement.

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 04:55:08 pm
Tom are you leaving the mat open when it's not in use? Have found in the past that this has drastically improved the life of taco style pads.

I am now - but a bit annoyed this has started so soon... I think part of the problem may be that the foam inside the blocks is very soft (deliberately) so collapses when bent rather than bending if that makes sense? EG normal taco pads tend to bend around the fold - this one seems to crease on the fold.

Mines about a month old and fine. i'm a bit worried now because I have to keep it in the back of the car so it's always folded.

Yes - mine spends most of its life in the car. So now having it out and unfolded is a bit of a PITA....

Obviously if it's fucked after 6 months it'll all be TTs fault and I'll be expecting some kind of reimbursement.

I'll have to consult my protection racketeers (Lagerstarfish international (tm)) before any financial issues ;)

Duma

• forum hero
#39 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 05:15:42 pm
Yes - mine spends most of its life in the car. So now having it out and unfolded is a bit of a PITA....

If you store the mat in the car a taco's not really a brilliant choice imo, esp such a thick one as this.

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 05:29:35 pm
Maybe - though the three other taco pads I own/owned have not done this...

Anyways was just passing on what I've found...

fried

• forum hero
#41 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
May 06, 2015, 05:30:31 pm
I thinkj I'll make some room in my cellar for it. My first taco, you live and you learn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal