UKBouldering.com

Snap Wrap Pad (Read 15495 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Snap Wrap Pad
February 04, 2015, 04:50:04 pm
Hello,
Starting to gingerly venture back outdoors with my creaky back - and was having a look at the Snap Wrap pad... I've already got 3 pads of varying age/wear/size, but was quite taken by the 'variable softness' of this one.. (soft low, harder high etc..)...

Wondered if anyone has used one and care to comment on whether they are any good?

Also a couple of technical/build issues. My last snap pad (3rd) was a c.2012 Bun which didnt have the best build quality IMHO (not a patch on their own stuff) - so what are these like? and... I notice it has velcro loops as the main closure (as opposed to the usual aluminium buckles that were on their other pads and many other brands) - are these OK? I can imagine them getting a bit shitty as they wear and the velcro gets filled with crud (as it usually does)....

Thanks in advance,
TT

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#1 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 04, 2015, 09:23:05 pm
Can't comment on longevity or anything like that as don't own one, but had a little play on one and was quite impressed with the soft landing. Really thinking of getting one myself tbh.

JJP

• addict
#2 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 04, 2015, 09:53:43 pm
Hey TT
Never used a snap pad but do have an old red chilli pad that has velcro straps - these have been fine but the pad has only been used intermittently over the years.

Duma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 11, 2015, 08:59:31 am
Hi TT, sorry, must have missed this last week - I've got one, sadly not had many chances to use it in anger yet so cant comment on longevity/build quality, though it seems well made. Can say it's massive, and a lovely thing to land on, noticeably firmer from a couple of feet than a couple of metres.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 11, 2015, 09:05:00 am
Thanks Duma

Duma

• forum hero
#5 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 11, 2015, 09:06:52 am
obv my last phrase should be the other way round...
 :slap:

B0405413

• addict
#6 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 11, 2015, 02:07:46 pm
It's a great pad to land on from really high up, but I find the velcro straps a bit annoying; if you have lots of stuff in it it comes undone after a while. Minor fault though.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#7 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 11, 2015, 03:16:21 pm
Just ordered the petit wrap so it fits in plane luggage for trips as well. Did you plump for one TT? Hopefully a good improvement on the old brown bun that has seen better days!

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 11, 2015, 03:23:03 pm
Not yet Richie,

I've already got 4 pads of varying age - and not 100% sure I can justify a new one - though a new one every couple of years (its about that now) isnt a huge expense compared to the diesel I burn getting to crags...

I also noticed that SNAP sell them direct for Eu299 (with free EU postage apparently) which given the Euro to ££ rate seemed a pretty good deal.. They sound good though - apart from the velcro closures..

Thanks for the beta folks.
T

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 14, 2015, 12:50:35 pm
What's the significance of the square quilting bit.

benno

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 04:17:19 pm
I asked the same thing a while back: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=24973.0

So you could grab some more opinions from that. I'm still planning on getting one, it just needs to make its way to the top of the "things to blow my disposable on this month" list.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 06:09:42 pm
Sorry Benno - I should have bumped your thread...

fried

• forum hero
#12 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 06:25:37 pm
If you do get one TT, any chance of putting up a few words.

I'm after something big and soft for my bday in July and I've just let the missus book up a weekend with her sister and mum for a long weekend to get some leverage. It was 'no way' last week to 'only if you keep it clean' today. Bloody wimin. I can get one for 269 here.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#13 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 06:37:45 pm
Tomtom, I thought you regarded Ocun as les couilles de chien? Why so fickle?

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 06:58:58 pm
Tomtom, I thought you regarded Ocun as les couilles de chien? Why so fickle?

Well the Ocun Dominator has done very well for a couple of years - and its foam is still good and firm.. But I have to admit that I prefer taco style - and I'm intrigued/taken by the 'soft for short falls hard for high falls' spec.. Some form of air release has always seemed like a great idea for pads - and the Ronin ones (that are no longer available) still seem to be working well some 5 years on (the ones I've fallen on do anyway..)

Also a chink in the Ocuns armour has appeared as the backpack attachment has started to come away (the loopy bit in the middle of the pad) at the stitching meaning its long walk in life is starting to ebb away.. (its fixable, but a bit tricky).. This is within my 'wear and tear' allowances for a 2 year (+) old pad - but a little annoying...

Wrap also has a larger footprint (1.6 by 1m?) whereas the Ocun is 1.4 by 1 (I think)... I'm wondering if it could be better for where I only want to lug one mat - the Ocun is great for the two mat options...

But - the SNAP pad is heavy (10kg)... though lighter ones don't have the same fall capabilities.. 

Or I may have an Emelda Marcos style bouldering mat addiction :D

Not ordered one yet...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#15 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 07:34:21 pm
Thanks for your reply. Ocun do Tacos too, just wondered if your view of them overall had declined. I've got a poor man's Dominator  DMM Highball, it's excellent.  Also have a WC Big Air- good foam but stitching is very weak. The solution was to remove the cover and stitch thoroughly by hand, I expect that will fix your mat too..

10kg is a lot - about the same as 2 pads which is a pretty normal carry for many folk i expect. Would one air mat eliminate the need for 2 foam ones I wonder?

Or I may have an Emelda Marcos style bouldering mat addiction :D

Did I read a comment of yours in powerclub about struggling with 'high heels'?  ::)  :It's all falling into place now...

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 07:47:12 pm
No ones noticed my tights under my rock boots yet... ;) I always use a pasty flesh colour...

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 16, 2015, 07:51:52 pm
I bought one last week £244 from bananafingers. I've only used on my board so can't give a fair assessment yet.
I bought it on impulse, having tried to put some Spare foam in old pad only for the existing foam to crumble away. So I started looking at new pads saw this thread and thought why not.

groovedog

• addict
#18 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 17, 2015, 01:09:35 pm
+1 for the snap wrap pad.

I bought it a month ago, so can't comment too much on longevity. It definitely gives you confidence going for snuff.

It felt a steep investment, but I had my Moon Saturn for 3 years so thought per year they are not so bad.

The other thing I weighed up is how much are your ankles worth? whilst the snap pad won't guarantee you won't break ankles I think you stand a better chance.

It is fairly heavy to lug about and I quite like to carry a rucksack in the pad, a problem I have is the Velcro strap attachment wants to peel under the weight, without a rucksack in the pad though its fine. I might look at putting a fastner in to secure it a bit better.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 20, 2015, 04:06:37 pm
I just had this email from someone at reception...
I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow... :)

Hi Tom

We’ve had what looks like a mattress delivered for you.

Caroline

Duma

• forum hero
#20 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 21, 2015, 06:19:04 pm
bit late, but I do have one bugbear with mine, highlighted last week - the velcro strap at the bottom has too much "loop" and not enough "hook" - so to properly close the bottom there's not much overlap of the 2 and a lot of strap flapping about. Might do a bit of home sewing job to sort this at some point. Also it doesn't like being left folded - more so than previous tacos I've had, maybe the seperate cubes get more squashed somehow?

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Snap Wrap Pad
February 21, 2015, 06:27:09 pm
Got mine today. Only unwrapped and trampled on it. First impressions are that its large, heavy and well made. Pulled one end apart and I like the air blocks -seen well made. Wonder how well they will perform when the foam inside them is shot - whether that alters the overall performance much etc..?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#22 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 24, 2015, 08:17:59 pm
Got the petit wrap today and 2 days off coming up. Excited to give it a go :)

I imagine the foam blocks to be quite useful in that you can shift them around if the foam gets tired in the centre of the mat.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 02:34:42 pm
Hoping to pick one of these up in the next month or so. Would be good to have some feedback from you guys before then.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#24 Re: Snap Wrap Pad
February 27, 2015, 02:53:14 pm
I just had this email from someone at reception...
I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow... :)

Hi Tom

We’ve had what looks like a mattress delivered for you.

Can't wait to "test drive" it with you

Big Caroline

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal